cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Process chain stops at intermediate point & does not execute further!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

In our case, the process chain stops at some point(it is not fixed point always) and does not proceed further. Now at this point the status of step is Red but we have process indicator set such that process chain should proceed further since we have maintained as ->> in case of errors also proceed further.So Ideally it should proceed further and execute the remaining steps of process chain. But this is not happening. When I am executing tcode RSPCM ->>A small window titled as "Request Status Change" dialog box pops up when clicking a process chain log view, the window msg says:"Request Status Changed Trigger follow-on events?" With a Yes and No buttton.

My question is why system presents this message and what could be reason of process chain do not execute the remaining steps when the intermediate step fails . Ideally it should excute the remaining steps of process chain.

Please note that this behaviour is random and not regular.

Regards

Pradip

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check if the following Note (833168) applies...

Symptom

Process chains do not run, even though the last process step has the status 'Terminated' (Transaction PC_D_MONI) or is green (Transaction RSPC).

Steps are missing from the log view for running a chain (Transaction RSPC).

There is a runtime error with MESSAGE_TYPE_X in the dump analysis (Transaction ST22). The error message is:

Process ..., variant ... is not scheduled waiting for event ... ...

Other terms

RSPC 006

SAPLRSPC_BACKEND

LRSPC_BACKENDU05

RSPC_PROCESS_FINISH

Reason and Prerequisites

Cause:

A process chain run is stopped by another run of the same process chain. The run that starts the next process step removes the scheduling for the next step from the other process chain run.

Prerequisites:

You start a process chain at least twice.

You start the process chain in asynchronous mode.

The problem may occur more frequently for process chains that include the process steps data update and data cleansing, since these steps require manual processing and stop the process chain run.

Solution

Ensure that there are no active runs for the process chain you want to start (Transaction PC_D_MONI or RSPC) during the test phase. This applies particularly to process chains that include the steps mentioned under 'Prerequisites' above.

Use different process chains during the test phase.

Start process chains synchronously (Call Transaction RSPC, Plan view, menu->Execution -> Execute synchronously).

Terminate any process runs that hang in the steps described above under 'Prerequisites' if you do not want to process them further. Use the function 'Force termination' in the Edit menu of Transaction PC_D_MONI to do this.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for replies.

As per Note 833168, causes are given as "A process chain run is stopped by another run of the same process chain. The run that starts the next process step removes the scheduling for the next step from the other process chain run.".

In my case I don't think that given Prerequisites exist in our system.

As I can interpret, the system is not able to set status "terminated" or Red for a particular process step and that's why we are presented with dialog box saying "Save the status and trigger events".

How we can proceed so that the process chain gets the correct status automatically without user interaction.

There are sufficient background processes in our system.

Regards

Pradip

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did anybody figure out what is the equivalent of transaction PC_D_MONI in BI 7? I am trying to force the cancellation/termination of process chain in BI7, however I cannot find that option in BW 3.x...

thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Pradip ,

The Problem with RSPCM is when ever there is an intermediate status for quite a Long time and a maximum time has reached , then the system usually asks for a Status change when the screen is getting refreshed, this would be for RED Status or Error Status, I would like to know at which process Step the load is failing and is the error always occuring for the same process step , if yes check the error log carefully and go through the Job log for complete details, Also check

if there are some other jobs running at the same time..in SM37 .

May be you could get some clue .

We faced the same problem in Development quite some time back , when testing for some plug in upgrade , and I found out that may at that particular time, there were not enough BGD processes.

Also Check if some new Jobs are added recently ...

Hope it helps..

Thanks,

Krish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Guys

The time for this process chain is ok...not too many processes are running at that moment. The process chain do not stop at any particular step and that makes the issue further complicated. I think somehow system is not able to capture the status of process chain step (fail or successful) automatically and wait for manual intervention ( like when I see the log for this process chain). Ideally it should proceed further after automatically capturing the status of process chain step.

Regards

Pradip

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pradip,

I have the same problem, if you found any solution, please let me know also.

Thanks and Regards

David

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pradip,

My problem was solve by implementing these 3 Notes:

0001003941 Correction: No check on missing instance for "hold"

0001005481 Correction: Process successful, but there is no instance

0001008038 Korrektur: Rückmeldefehler bei Repair

Hope this will help you.

Regards

David

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David

We are at SAP BW 3.5 version. I had look at Notes 0001003941 & 0001005481->> Both these notes suggests to implement Support Pack 20 however it is not yet released for customers. I also checked for correction instructions but for BW 3. 5 version but they have not give it at all in these 2 notes.

Third Note 0001008038 is in German language but I could just figure out that it is for BI 7.0 and hence not applicable to us.

Can you please tell me which system version you are on and how you implemented these notes?

Regards

Pradip

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pradip,

I'm on BI 7. You're right, I think you only need to implement notes: 0001003941 and 0001005481.

I saw these notes relevant to BW 3.5

Use tcode <b>snote</b> to download notes and implement it.

Hope this help

David

Message was edited by:

David Ang DJ

Message was edited by:

David Ang DJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David

Thank you for reply.

As per solution given in these SAP notes, we would required to have SP 20 for BW3.5 which is not yet released for customers. As well I could not find the correction instructions on these SAP Notes. In this case what will be effect of implementing notes using transaction code SNOTE?

Regards

Pradip

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Friends

has anybody experienced this problem before? If yes then please help me on this one.

Regards

Pradip

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have this problem sometimes, mostly on our development system. A process chain has come to an end correctly (all is green) but the chain next in line does not start. Plenty of BGD-processes, no chain has been started twice, it's just strange.

Our solution is to take a different starter and hang the PC's that refused to start onto that and start them. Quite annoying, but luckily it doesn't happen too often.

Eduard

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pradip...

I have got the problem when u have posted ..but little later ..even i was about to post the issue.. actually my issue was..

My PC is like this

1) Start Process

2) Delete index

3)Load IP

4) delete overlapping request

5) create Index

6)ABAP program

Process chain hangs at Overlapping requests process type but the status was yellow.and the previous step(3) was success.from there its not moving to next further steps.. but the Job in SM37 was canceled.

I saw ur post and saw the note 833168 and which matches exactly our issue.

like we run the PCs thru the TIDAL where due to some problems PC got triggered twice .. i can see the two logs in the PC .(log view) and two requests at RSMO.

Everything was recovered again thru manual steps.This is the first time we encountred.. the note helpd us ... We now are very cautious about the Tidal runs..

now PC is running perfectly

We have instructed the Supported team to make the neccesary changes or fix this issues in TIDAL..

Donno much about ur issue...

Thanks and Kind regards

AK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi AK

Thanks for your reply.

We are not scheduling the PC via TIDAL or any other scheduling tool . We have scheduled it in BW only using daily job (date & time provided). There is only 1 scheduled jobs so I am sure that we are not running this PC twice.

Also we are running ABAP prorgram process type Synchronously. Hence my feeling is that may be Note 833168 not useful to me based on following observations on Solution given in this note :-

1. Ensure that there are no active runs for the process chain you want to start (Transaction PC_D_MONI or RSPC) during the test phase. This applies particularly to process chains that include the steps mentioned under 'Prerequisites' above. -> There is only 1 active run for PC.

2. Use different process chains during the test phase. -> Don't know what they mean by this and we are not doing any testing here.

3. Start process chains synchronously (Call Transaction RSPC, Plan view, menu->Execution -> Execute synchronously)->>> This menu path does not exist as of BW 3.5 . It exist only when you click on Maintain variant on ABAP program process step and we have manintained it as "synchronous".

4.Terminate any process runs that hang in the steps described above under 'Prerequisites' if you do not want to process them further. Use the function 'Force termination' in the Edit menu of Transaction PC_D_MONI to do this.

->>> Where is this transaction PC_D_MONI?

Can you please let me know exactly what you did in BW to get this resolved since TIDAL does not exist in my case.

Regards

Pradip

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All

Can you please help on this.

Regards

Pradip

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pradip

I have experienced the same problem and struggled for several days to find what went wrong. This is not the problem with the chain or the BW system, The only one and the best solution is to increase the background jobs.

Reasion is background jobs are controlled by application servers and now a days the app servers has got j2ee engines running on it and it pulls most of the server capcity.

You will have to set up a meeting with the basis team and ask em to create another app server on the same instance which should be used only for the process chains. in the mean while go to transaction code sm51 and find out how many app servers are there. if there are more than one that has got more background jobs; use that server for process chains jobs only or else add another app server

Thanks

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris

Thank you for reply. But I am sure that we have sufficient number of background processes avaialble and all other process chains are working fine.

Regards

Pradip

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pradip

You might have enough background process in the app server (off the record: basis people might have their own background jobs running at scheduled time where its not processing your jobs), speak with your people and ask them to sort it out like i explained to you.

Thats the only way to sort your issue.

Email me if you need anything else

Chris.

varchar@webmail.co.za

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I worked on this option as well...but it was not the reason. Still today this process chain execution has stopped in between and it need manual execution.

Regards

Pradip

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pradip

You will face the same issue tomorrow either, you cant solve this issue by your own. its not BW thats doing it, its the app servers which controls the background jobs. Unless you have a new app server this will not be sorted or the other way around schedule the chain at different time.

Before that go to sm37 and check for scheduled jobs and find a suitable time for your chain to be scheduled.

Inform the basis guys and let them know though.

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys....

I agree that this is probably an issue with background processes. Especially if this is an infrequent error. It suggests that outside influences using the same framework are present. i.e job execution

Don't forget that the process chain continues to spawn background tasks with the naming convention BI_PROCESS*.....Check SM37 and see the amount of background tasks active in one timeframe. It's possible that you had locking or queuing probs...

R

Former Member
0 Kudos

Se note

Note 621400 - Number of required BTC processes for process chains

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pradip,

Check this post:

Bye

Dinesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dinesh

I had referred to that thread-> but it does not provide answer to this problem and the issue was different even though dialog box is same.

Regards

Pradip

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pradip,

I guess one of your infopackage may have some entries in subsequent events (Infopackage -> scheduler). Also if your are loading an ODS then check if the settings are fine.

Bye

Dinesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dinesh

This process chain was working fine till now and now also this behaviour is random and does not occur everyday.

The process chain stops at some step and next step after that should be executed since it does not have "execute only if previous step is succssful". That means even if previous step has failed , the next process step should run. Exactly this is not happening. Once the process steps fails, the process chain execution does not proceed further and we get that dialog box in RSPCM.

Please advise.

Regards

Pradip

Former Member
0 Kudos

You might also verify that you have sufficient background processes available. See Note 621400.