Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you tell me some differences between R2 and R3 systems?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you tell me some differences between R2 and R3 systems?

I guess R2 is used only for mainframe systems some time back. But i dont know why we prefered R3 over R2.

Please clarify this!

Thanks,

Venkatesh.R.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Venkates,

R/3 is a 3 tier architecture where presentation andapplication,and database servers areparts.

hereserversaredividesinceto optimize the performance of database.

give me ur email id i will send u the documents.

11 REPLIES 11

Former Member
0 Kudos

R/3 has more advanced features over R/2.....

R/2 had limitations due to which SAP was not successfull....After R/3 SAP came alive and was used over the globe for various applications.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Venkates,

R/3 is a 3 tier architecture where presentation andapplication,and database servers areparts.

hereserversaredividesinceto optimize the performance of database.

give me ur email id i will send u the documents.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Venkatesh,

Go through these links

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0SMG/is_n6_v12/ai_12153046

Thanks

Vikranth khimavath

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

R/2 was actually all text based(green screen) applications, R/3 was a client-server arcitecture which greatly enhanced the user experience with the SAPgui.

Of course there were many enhancements and new developments in regard to business functionality as well.

Regards,

Rich Heilman

alex_m
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Initialy SAP started with R/2 architecture then moved to R/3.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have worked both on R2 and R3 as far as the differences are concerned ...listed below are the few.

1. R2 was the mainframe version of SAP while R3 is based on client-server(windows gui).

2. R3 is quiet advanced in terms of functionality in terms of technical as well as functional.

3. Technical differences - IDOC/ALE etc is available in R3 while no such facility in R2. R3 supports oops tech while R2 does not. R2 widely used LDB concept while R3 does have the same facility but SELECTs are more efficient. In R3 the tables are more normalized as compared to R2.

Lastly the main reason for people to migrate from R2 to R3 is that SAP has stopped supporting R2 now and hence if there is any issues you are stuck with no help and support.

Please let me know if you need more information or any other information

Regards

anurag

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Anurag,

I could not understand this line,

R2 widely used LDB concept while R3 does have the same facility but SELECTs are more efficient??

Please tell me what is LDB...

hi Kanniah,

PLease send me the docs to the below id,

<removed by moderator>

Thanks to all!!

Regards,

Venkatesh.R.

Message was edited by: Matthew Billingham

0 Kudos

The best way to explain it would be via an example. Lets say you wanted to run through the order database to fetch some orders on xyz condition.

In R3, you can simply write a SELECT on VBAK with where conditions and push into an internal table via a single statement while in R2 you have to run through each record(SELECT more or less works like a loop). But as I said in R2 LDB were widely used as to code the above requirement whereby using a particular LDB(you can define in attributes of the ABAP) and using GET OK segment etc.

LDB - Logical Database is basically a hierarchical list of tables..example a LDB AR/V would have the segments arranged as below.

OM

--- OK

-

OP

Regards

Anurag

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

R2 is based on mainframe technology. This methodolgy is based on one server and client based.

R3 is based on client server technology. Here application logic will take cares by another application server. i.e. one server --> application server ---> many client.

Regards

Bhupal Reddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Very helpful answers from all the folks!

Thanks to all!

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP R/3 is

Client server

3 tier

Presentation

Application

Database

Relatively hardware and database independent

ABAP/4 applications runs on application servers.

Dispatcher, shared memory, gateway, work processes are major components of an application server.

SAP R/3 offers

Comprehensive suite of integrated applications meeting the needs of most business

Best practice process design

Ability to configure to

Industry sector

Unique business requirements

In a R/2 System - it is a 2 Tier System based on Mainframe Systems with Intelligent terminals

R/3 is based 3 tier Client Server architechture and supports the R/2 system as well.

R/3 Middleware -

Client server

Uses underlying relational databases

Oracle

SQL server

Ingress

Sybase

Its graphical user interface

Sap GUI

hence R/3 is preffered over R/2 systems because they support Client Server Architecture which is easily configurable,scalable and can integrate with ERP systems and integrate with SOA or Web based Apps.

Thanks,

Saurabh Shukla