Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customizing the "Recent Notifications" iView

christopher_griffin
Participant
0 Kudos

Hey folks

Our client wants to change the SAP standard "Recent Notifications" iView. He thinks (justifiably) that the headers "subscriptions" and "subscribed items" are a bit vague, so we want to change them to more specific titles, like "subscription management" and "subscription alerts".

Two questions:

1. Is there an easy way of doing this?

2. If not, how do I customize the iView? According to the iView properties, it's based on com.sap.km.cm.actioninbox, but I can't find this in a PAR file anywhere...

We're still on EP6SP14.

Thanks,

Chris

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

detlev_beutner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Christopher,

> According to the iView properties, it's based on

> com.sap.km.cm.actioninbox, but I can't find this in a PAR file anywhere

This has to be read: Based on the component "actioninbox" of the portal application "com.sap.km.cm" (to be found within the portalapp.xml of this portal application). And that can be found easily. However, as com.sap.km.cm is a proxy application which just redirects to some other implementation, it doesn't help you that much directly.

But you can simply search for the texts in question if you do a search with an intelligent tool which also searches in JARs etc, for example WinRAR, and then search for *.properties and the text in question. By this, you will find:

...\WEB-INF\portal\portalapps\com.sap.netweaver.bc.uwl\classes\aib

- and within that folder, the corresponding properties files. Change them accordingly to your needs and restart the portal.

Keep in mind that this is a modification, i.e. it will be overwritten with each new SP!

Hope it helps

Detlev

christopher_griffin
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Detlev

Thanks for the reply. I found the file in question.

Is there no way to duplicate this, and then reference the duplicated version? It is not really good enough for it to be overwritten after an upgrade...

Chris

detlev_beutner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Christopher,

With such modifications you always have to choose between "bad" and "worse" - it's just the question which is which...

Of course you could create a new component with a new name based on the original one and also change the role content to refer to the modified application. On the other side, new SPs have new features and removed bugs, and normally you will like to use these advantages. But if you create a modification in a new namespace, the new PARs aren't referenced.

So, as said, you have to decide what would be more important for you - to have the possibility to upgrade with no extra admin tasks to get your old solution running or to use the new version and to redo the modifications. As in this case "redo" primarily means copy the property files to some place, I would definitely advise to go the way described.

When modifying Java code, this question is harder to answer (and there is no general answer at all). It also can make sense to try to only create some small part of a PAR and from within that, to reference the standard implementation - not always possible and at least initially more work. But to decide what makes most sense is really project and customer dependent.

Hope it helps

Detlev

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christopher,

I have a qsimilar question, I need to change the name of recent notification "Approved ítems" by "Released Items"  Is it posible?

How did you do this change?

Thanks and best regards

Mónica