cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manually uninstall shadow instance & reset EHPI after restored from backup?

nicholas_chang
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

This question suddenly popped into my mind where during EHPI upgrade, before we start "Downtime", EHPI would advise us to take a full backup after completed "pre-processing" where shadow instance is built. If thing goes wrong after upgrade where downtime is completed. First of all, we'll restored the database & kernel & profile & etc back to the stage before downtime and after pre-processing. After DB is sucessfully bring up, shadow instance and some EHP version is written to the DB. And my question is, We can't reset the upgrade with EHPI since upgrade is completed, and what's the resolution for resetting and dropping the shadow instance?

What in mind is, we need to backup EHPI directory as well before we run into "downtime" ? And launch EHPI to reset after DB restored?

Appreciate if anyone can shed some light on this.

Cheers,

Nicholas Chang

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Before starting downtime phase, it is always recommended to take full offline DB backup and EHPI upgrade directory backup. So, that if something goes wrong during downtime phase or after downtime phase, you can restore DB and EHPI directory. And then later on you can again start upgrade right before the downtime phase.

In case, you still want to reset EHPi upgrade then you have to drop shadow instance schema manually from the database.

You can find more details from SAP note 158358.

Thanks

Sunny

nicholas_chang
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Sunny. You are always the knight in silver armor, but however, Note 158358 is locked by SAP now.........

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Oh. But I do have SAP note saved.

Thanks

Sunny

nicholas_chang
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Do u mind to send me the note to ncks82@yahoo.com 😉

Thanks,

nicholas Chang

nicholas_chang
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sunny,

Infact i've read that note and note 539903 but none of the notes talk about how to remove/delete shadow instance cleary. Is it just enough to uninstall the services using sapstartsrv? where i really doubt so.

What's the command to drop shadow instance if there's any.....

Thanks,

Nicholas chang

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

As such I have not came across SAP note which talks about procedure to uninstall shadow instance. But you can follow below procedure to uninstall it:

1) Delete the entries in UVERS table as mentioned in the note.

2) Drop shadow instance schema from db level including its contents.

3) Change instance profile.

4) Delete upgrade directory.

If you look at some EHP installation note, it says to reset upgrade after pre-processing phase, contact SAP.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunny ,

Can you please send the SAP Note 158358 to me at neel_pushkar@hotmail.com , We are at ACT_UPG phase and need to reset the upgrade. It will be great if you can send me the note.

Thanks,

Neel

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

It looks like SAP note is not released. You may ask SAP Support to provide you the same.

Thanks,

Sunny

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Amitjaiswal
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Chang ,

I found something .If you are at preprocessing .The option EHP installation->Reset  Installtaion take care of shadow instance deletion .If it still need to be taken then we can follow  417670 .and use report RSUPGRES to delete and reset the shadow instace properly .This progem take care of deletion of UVERS entries and profile file as well

nicholas_chang
Active Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the info. FYI, our discussion is after pre-processing, which before downtime. I studied and found out that shadow instance is deleted after pre-processing, however, shadow repository is keep in the database. It'll switch over and replace the old repo after downtime.

Cheers.

Nicholas chang