Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error when running SAT for certain transactions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

we've upgraded our ECC DEV system to version 7.02 and wanted to try out the transaction SAT, to analyze runtime for some of our programs.

For some of our programs, SAT works perfectly; however, for others we receive the following error:

"Internal error occurred when creati

Decimal Overflow

Check whether you are on a multiprocessor machine

This Could Be the Reason for the Overflow"

Strange thing is, this error happens repeatedly for certain programs, but for others the trace is displayed with no errors.

I've tried searching for a solution or in fact any kind of documentation for the transaction, but returned empty handed.

Please assist me.

Thanks, Roy

12 REPLIES 12

former_member192616
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Roy,

can you open the trace with SE30 (you can still call SE30).

Or try to open it with ST12 (collect external traces).

Do you see really big or negative numbers there?

If so you need to repeat the measurement with low

accuracy in SAT. (Menu: Utilities - Settings - activate low for Measurement Accuracy)

Kind regards,

Hermann

0 Kudos

Hi,

I haven't tried running SE30 but back when I had just got the error I tried running SAT with low accuracy, results were the same.

Thanks for the effort though.

0 Kudos

Hi,

hm, never have seen this.

I think there is nothing left to say but the generic support advice:

Make sure you have installed the latest support packs. If the problem can be reproduced open

an oss message.

Kind regards,

Hermann

0 Kudos

Hello Guys

I'm just facing the same error with our new ECC 7.02 system, I have the feeling that this is related to authorization issues. Below some reasons why I think this.

1) When running transaction SAT by itseft I get a  authorization issues, not allowing me to run the Tcode..

2) when running SE30 (old one) I get the error below (as well authorization issues).

Runtime Errors         OPEN_DATASET_NO_AUTHORITY

Except.                CX_SY_FILE_AUTHORITY

ABAP Program           SAPLS_ABAP_TRACE_DATA

Application Component  BC-DWB-TOO-RTA

Date and Time          24.04.2012 20:55:08

Short text

No authorization to open the file "/usr/sap/G4R/DVEBMGS00/data/AT000001".

I'm pretty sure I had the access before the upgrade to 7.02, I think there are some additional authorization objects or perhaps access to write on the folder that has to be included into the roles to allow the proper execution of the transactions.

Hopes this help. I will work with my security contacts and will post if this solve the issue.

adam_krawczyk1
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Roy,

Sometimes I have the same error message. Today I was measuring long time background job (over 50 minutes). When measurement has finished I tried to open the log and I got dialog with message:

"Decimal Overflow

Check whether you are on multiprocessor machine

This Could Be the Reason for the Overflow"

I needed tests results so I tried different options if I can send results by RFC, or export to Excel etc. The only possible option was "Display Trace File" as other options require formatted trace file (opened at least once).

When I display trace file I see strange values with negative time duration:

In my opinion too long time duration caused negative number and it looks like some bug for me. Anyhow it does not change the fact that I cannot see my measurements statistics only this log is accessible.

Regards,

Adam

0 Kudos

Same for us, we need to trace a long-running Report (about 1h) and we run into this decimal overflow everytime. We now try to limit the report's workload but this really sucks big time.

Is there any known solution or workaround besides looking at the raw data?

Thank you very much

esti1
Participant
0 Kudos

Just a quick note to mention that you can view the trace files of traces done in SAT in SE30 without redoing the trace.  The transaction is a bit less powerful, but at least you can view the trace in a sensible way.

This issue still exists in 7.4 SP9

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am facing the same issue. Has anyone found a solution to this problem ?

I also set the precision to low but the file still gives me the decimal overflow error.

Thanks and Regards,

Sheldon Rodrigues

0 Kudos

Hi ,

I do not know if solution is given by SAP but I think I know the workaround.

When you define variant settings for SAT measurement you can define maximum time for run ("Maximum execution time"). This is the time per file which means that if you set 30 minutes and report lasts 60 minutes you should get two logs which works fine. If you increase the time to 60 minutes max you will get negative number and decimal overflow as mentioned.

The negative consequence of shorter time limit is that you will not see all logs aggregated together, but this should give you anyhow overview of problems. Then you can reschedule measurements limited only to specified objects / functions which are problematic and continue performance analyses.

I do not know what is the time limit when decimal overflow happens but this must be related to the type length. From integer range limits I guess it might be the magic number  2,147,483,647 microseconds which gives 2 147 seconds = 36 minutes. This matches my experience: 30 minutes is ok, 60 minutes was too long. Do not set longer time than that for measurement, otherwise you will get an error.

SAT is so powerful and often used for analyses so I am surprised that SAP has not taken this fix as priority.

Regards,

Adam

0 Kudos

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the reply . Well, that could be a reason for smaller traces which finish in less 30 mins the file opens up correctly.

I always set the maximum execution time to 4329 approx. 72 minutes. Strange as you mentioned the file works well up till 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, I have raised an internal ticket to SAP to find the reason for such a strange behavior.

My follow up question is what happens when we want to trace extremely large files will the system automatically truncate in between ?

Thanks and Regards,

Sheldon Rodrigues

0 Kudos

Thanks for the tip Adam,

This morning I was experiencing the reported issue plus the 'You have exceeded the maximum execution time' message.  After modifying the time limit in the variant I have eliminated the later message.  Unfortunately I still have the Decimal Overflow.   When I tried a trace with a smaller selection it worked fine.  I am thinking the run time can't exceed 30 minutes.

Pete

0 Kudos

Hi ,

As far as I know large files will be split automatically if you reach the size limit. So you will get few files with content, it makes it easy and faster to process such smaller files.

With regards to time I am not sure, I think that you will get overflow exception anyhow if you exceed the time limit and this is bug from SAP side.

You said about 72 minuts time limit, did you ever managed to measure over 40 minutes duration and open it successfully? You can of course set up a longer duration time in configuration (that is not an issue), but I guess you will not be able to open that measurement if it is longer than the physical limit (about 36 minutes I guess).

Regards,

Adam