cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subscription is not sending emails (NW 7.3)

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hallo community,

subscription usage is increasing, so it needs to be available in our new portal, too. As with the KM search, I got it running... almost.

My problem:

I don't get emails, when subscribed content is changed.

This document was great:

Still, no emails.

Two comments

1. I see the subscription notifications in my universal work list. So theoretically they are working.
  2. I can use the "Send to"-function, so the portal CAN send emails to me.

My question:

What did I miss? How can I get the portal to send me those subscription emails?

It's driving me nuts. Has somebody an idea of what's missing?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sooo, here we are again. ^^

First of all, thank you for your help in this.

It's working now and it wasn't something on our part. A little file named mail.jar was the problem and it's

a known problem with SUN/Oracle mail library, which is shipped with SAP Java server

(direct quote from our ticket).

So we got a new mail.jar from sap support (since the downloadlink didn't work for us) and voilà, it's working just great. Yeah!

Kind regards,

Steffi.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well guys,

we still got this problem on our hands. The telnet session brought no new clues other then that the portal and exchange server do connect, so the problem doesn't lie there.

So we're back to quare one and now opened a sap-ticket for this.

Has anybody any more input on this? I can't believe we're the only ones with this issue.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steffi,

Can you turn up the tracing level in the logging and tracing section in NWA... this might give you more clues as to what is going wrong. Do you know when the subscription email should be triggered? If so turn up the level to INFO or DEBUG for a short time during that window and see if you can see any other errors in the logs.

Hope this helps,
Simon

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Simon,

that's what SAP asked, too. The trace says something about a SMTP authentification error and that's the exact same thing I'm thinking the whole time.

BUT... when testing to connect from the portal server to the required exchange server, it's successful, so we're a bit confused right now. I have send the trace file to SAP, so maybe they can shed some light.

If there was an authentification problem, shouldn't fail the "Send to"-function, too? Lorcan wrote that those two send through different channels, which I understand. But the connection between the servers needs to work for that function, too. Or is that again another connection?

Maybe it's a bug, I don't know. But we're on the latest SP and then probably more questions like this would pop up here.

I'm trying to wrap my mind around this for month now. I just don't know, what's missing. 😕 What can I do more than testing the connection and doing the configuration? GNAR!

Kind regards,

Steffi.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steffi,

Yes I agree with you regarding the "Send-To" function working/not working too... that is strange. However I can only offer some other ideas for analysis... have you tried looking at the logs on the Exchange Server side? Can you get someone familiar with the Exchange system to help you look? Usually when I can't find someone else with the same issue on SCN then it is because there is something specific to my own landscape (e.g. some unusual setting somewhere).

Have you tried using another SMTP server? You could download a free one and test it out or even create a Google account and use SMTP from Google... that might help you narrow down the issue further (e.g. to the Exchange Sever setup).

I hope you find the answer soon.

Simon

LJB
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Steffi,

I suspect the problem probably lies in your EMAIL Channel Configuration, it's worth mentioning that Send To and subscription use different email channels so channel configuration could still be partially incorrect, i.e. just because you can use send to functionality doesn't mean subscription emails should work as well. Have a look through SAP Note 808756 and it should help you.

Kind regards,
Lorcan.

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hallo Lorcan,

thank you for your reply.

I checked the note, but my settings for channels and providers are correct. But the note helped me, because it mentioned the Telnet connection.

After an server administrator tried to send an email via telnet from the portal server to me, there was some problem in finding my email adress (though connecting is working). So maybe the problem lies there, in the settings of the exchange server, that does not allow the portal server to send it emails that way.

At least I have a new place to check. ^^

Kind regards,

Steffi.