Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

career in SAP functional consultant?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi expert,

good morning i'm a MCA final year student and i want to be a SAP functional consultant but i don't know anything can any one please tell me the future prospect of SAP functional consultant and what are the things required to be a functional consultant.

Thanks and regards.

Rohit Kumar

5 REPLIES 5

gagandeep_batra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit,

As you want to become function consultant  you can follow any path  describe here

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3151135

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks You Gagandeep.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rohit,

The future for SAP consultants is bright long into the foreseeable future. You should do some basic research to see into which module your basic interest lies. What topic can you research for hours and not get tired. What topic will you run up to the front of the class to ask additional questions when the lecture is over. That's the area you should be looking into for SAP.

If you are interested in a career in SAP, the time to act is now, before you graduate. Run to your University's Career Center and sign up for an internship. Participate in every recruiting activity they bring on campus. If they're not bringing any of the large consulting firms in, arrange for consulting firms to come recruit on your campus yourself.

The short answer is, though, that there are two tracks to SAP careers, a fast track and a normal track. Fast track folks get recruited to work on SAP projects right out of undergraduate or Master's degree programs either by working for the company as an intern or by having good luck with recruiters while in college. Once out of college, everyone else follows a normal track of starting at an entry level job, proving one's worth and work ethic and gradually moving into positions of more responsibility and eventually getting into the SAP career they desire.

I have written a blog and started a few conversations which touch on this directly:

There are a few blogs by other authors which I also think will be very helpful for you

I have a few more blogs which you might find interesting  as well.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

--Tom

lukemarson
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit,

Ideally to be a functional consultant you need to have some knowledge of business processes and how a business works in the area(s) you want to specialize in. If you understand this then no matter how technology changes, you will be able to continue to work.

Other good skills include communication, listening, problem-solving, assertiveness and confidence to challenge the business. It's amazing how many clients want to stick with bad processes because "that's how we've always done things". Sometimes you have to challenge a business to change the way they think.

I hope that helps.

Good luck!

Luke

0 Kudos

Luke

Good Comments, I have been Supply chain professional for the last 25 years 12 years in sales & marketing, I have used many CRM's and I am aware of every aspect of supply chain, recently I am thinking about changing my profession as a SAP SCM functional consultant, do you know any good schools in san francisco bay area that will put me on fast track of SAP path.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks