cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Blogosphere - the future going forward

Former Member
0 Kudos

I just posted probably the shortest I've ever written, but it was necessary to draw attention to this thread and considering it's about the blogs I need those reading the blogs to see it.

We have a problem growing in our community and it revolves around the content or more to the point the expectations of what people expect to find in the blogs. Over the years the blogs here evolved into very rich technical content with the addition of the BPX community it started to evolve again into excellent strategy, theory and conceptual content - yet we have those who complain when something is posted.

Therefore until the end of this month you have your chance now to input your thoughts and feelings on what you expect to find in the blogs here. We will then take your feedback and find alternatives to the other content and figure if there is anything we can do to ensure you get what you want BUT IF YOU DON'T tell us then we don't know. Your feedback will help to make the guidelines for blogging within the community - made by the community for the community.

Please give us your feedback so we can get back to enjoying our reading and collaborating together!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (18)

Answers (18)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I know I'm probably too late but my take on it is topic is:

if what you are reading

1. is not news to you

2. feels "too junior" for your knowledge level, or

3. you just pain don't like it (etc.)

then don't read it!

Even a repeated topic can have a different twist when written by a different author. So why not just let the reader decide???

It feels as if you are trying to make this an elite club. I think you should call these postings 'articles' and not 'blogs'.

Former Member
0 Kudos

May I just add:

Don't you for a moment think that only what you can see exists...

There are thousands of people who use SDN and who have never posted anything on it. And you worry about the expectations of a few that you've heard from????

All those people you haven't heard from may have something to say one day, and you've just denied them the opportunity to do so spontaneously here - they now have to go and get 100 points before they can be entitled to posting something...

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Never too late to join a conversation like this, so thanks for your comments, Carlos.

Although I too have concerns about the ability of transitioning the "lurkers" (quiet, silent, reading participants) to active, contributing participants and making sure the entry point is not barred, I also see a logic in looking for ways to have the community decide what makes sense for participation here.

Let's think of how this environment is used by the majority of members.

1) Knowledge transfer

2) User support

3) Collaborative design, programming, and innovations

4) Self-help

I do have concerns about elitism (because it is my very foundation to question entry when there are barriers), so I, like you, thought very carefully about what it means to "belong" to a community such as this. I question whether there is equality for certain populations participating in such a community such as: English as a second language speakers, women, older adults. These are the concerns that “keep me up at night” and I voice my concerns about that in various ways.

So I actually agree with the community blogosphere concept because if you think about it, it gives more freedom to more people to participate.

Let me explain why.

1) In the past, blogging meant more governance from the collaboration team: Mark,Craig, Marilyn, Mario, Gali. (Judgment of only a few).

Now blogging ability is judged by the community. (Judgment of the many) If you answer questions, provide good wiki content, you earn the ability to participate as a full community member.

This ability is judged by the community, not the collaboration team.

2)Working through the wiki gives more freedom, not less.

Once you begin to find ways to contribute and help others, you earn the right to “have your say” and then are judged by the many.

Hope this helps explain….I needed to work through this concept myself.

Nigel_James
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Really blogging is about a conversation, a narrative, a story. Some of the conversations we have here are technical. Some of the conversations here are process (because we are the Xperts), and some of them conversations are musings and ponderings.

There is a place for all of this. Booting tech stuff off into tech papers I believe makes them 1. harder to find and 2. Harder to write. This might be a good thing as there is more thought involved and possibly more review.

For me it is not about the points. They are a very nice <b>side</b> benefit and so are the shirts and other goodies that get handed out. I think the motivation has to be 'I want to contribute to this conversation' rather than 'I've written 2 blogs. Where is my t-shirt?'.

Whatever the point system is someone will work it out and possibly game it.

Anton said once 'Blogging is a posing platform'. (I hope I am quoting him correctly. Quoting people incorrectly gets you in hot water) He's right. It's the catwalk of our industry.

So there you have it - my thoughts as this review process comes to a close.

May the force be with you SDN team as you try and decipher this all and take this community to new and more awesome levels.

regards,

Nigel James

Former Member
0 Kudos

We've not fogotten and we've been getting a lot of feedback and we are working up some ideas and of course we have something new cooking we think might actually play a big part in this so keep your eyes open...

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am still not clear how to post a blog.

Please assist.

Regards,

Rajesh Banka

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh,

The simple answer is that the new blogging entries are "news" on the new <a href="https://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/profile/Home">Community Profiles page</a> and you add them (when you have a profile there using "add news"). It's that simple.

Thanks for your question, though as it gives me the opportunity review the process for myself. I know that this old grandma found it a bit daunting at first to follow the bouncing ball, but once (okay twice or three times because of her age) when it was explained to her, she got it and can hopefully even explain it back to others. I'll try this way.

1) From now on (this started in April 2007), we are sending <b>invitations</b> to blog under the navigational heading "Blogs" only to limited members of the community. That means when you have written good wiki community profile contents which I will explain presently <b>or</b> in exceptional cases when there is a newly created subject area with a known expert willing to blog about it, we invite someone to use the blog editor and to <a href="https://www.sdn.sap.comhttp://www.sdn.sap.comhttp://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/sdnweblogs/postweblog">Post a blog</a> (don't use this method if you haven't been explicitly invited by the collaboration team to use it, is the point of this new approach).

2) If you wish to blog <b>and</b> have earned at least <b>100 points</b> (usually in forum posts) <b>and</b> have received an invitation to create a community profile <b>and</b> wish to post in the wiki as a junior blogger, you are welcome to do so.

This is what Craig wrote: "...everyone and I mean everyone invited to create their own Profile will also have the option of blogging there as well. This is our new Junior Blog area! " see: <a href="/people/community.user/blog/2007/03/13/community-profiles-the-future-of-junior-blogs-and-you Profiles, the future of Junior Blogs and you...</a>

Here's my version of a chronological evolution or transformation of moving the whole "junior" blog process to a new format in the wiki, documented in Craig's blogs. The idea was twofold: allow new bloggers the abililty to post their contents without moderator govenance and giving the community more ability to comment and praise a junior blogger, thus elevating chances of moving to "full blogger" <b>and</b> most importantly proliferating the use of the wiki as the appropriate place to put much of the content that today is being thrown into the blog area.

1) The transformation to wiki blogging can be traced with Craig's blog posting back in January 2007<a href="/people/community.user/blog/2008/05/26/blog-this-or-wiki-it This" or "Wiki It"</a>. This blog was an answer to community's concerns or postings about blogs that held little or no value, were rants, were marketing, were copied and pasted contents <b>or</b> concerns that there was too much govenance in the blog process. Consider this blog as a conversation about the future of blogging here on SDN/BPX and encourgagement to use the new wiki.

2) Then on March 13 Craig blogged <a href="/people/community.user/blog/2007/03/13/community-profiles-the-future-of-junior-blogs-and-you Profiles and the future of the Junior Blog</a> which was an announcement of a new way of "blogging" by creating invitations to folks earning at least 100 points (in forum posts usually) to blog in the "wiki" by creating a Community Profile and using blogs.

3) Lastly, on April 14 Craig sent out an invitation to the first 2000 folks to use this new method (and I noticed you were one of them )

<a href="/people/community.user/blog/2007/04/11/140-and-counting and counting...</a>

To date over 1000 folks are using the Community Profiles to create a profile of themselves and some of those folks are also posting blogs there.

See this example page <a href="https://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/profile/Home">Community Profiles page</a>

Hope that makes it a bit clearer. So please continue to post your blogs in the "Community Profiles" space as news.

Marilyn

Former Member
0 Kudos

Craig,

I detected four groups of blogs:

- Technical Articles

- News

- Thoughts and experiences

- References.

Technical Articles and References can be linked to the actual Technical article area ( It is not clear to go there ) and to wiki respectively. Maybe we have to be more clear about the kind of blog or publish them in distinct areas.

Regards,

Ignacio.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Isn't that the whole point of selected the topic area?

Former Member
0 Kudos

mmmm....

I think something in a higher level, maybe a drop-down list to select the type of blog ( Technical Article, News, ...) in the form to publish the blog, and a view showing the blogs separated by types or a most recent view by types, and inside there the actual topics.

Former Member
0 Kudos

So in other words "multiple" blog areas?

"Community Blogs" where anyone say over 100 points (means that have been in some effort and are trying to be an active contributor) would be able to blog.

"Expert Blogs" for the technical and reference content

"News" the community team is already planning to move our blog "news" posts out to a different area so we could just take others with us for that as well.

Former Member
0 Kudos

YES! I like it, you make a great job, let me know if i can help you in something,

best, Ignacio.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is just a proposal playing with these new possibilities.

REWARD POINTS

Community blogs

40 points, no extra points

News

20 points, no extra points

Expert blogs

60 initial points, 40 extra points (max) after review

20 extra points if you make a blog with a wiki entry related (all categories)

Required points to blog

Community Blogs

100 points

News

100 points

Expert blogs

500 points

Former Member
0 Kudos

The only difference to now is News we rate as "Community blogs" so therefore 40 points sometimes they get a bit more depending on what they are and it's 40 with a max of 80 additional for the expert blogs.

20 for making it a Wiki page is a thought but if you go straight to the Wiki you usually end up better off than starting as a blog (oh did I give away a secret?)

The biggest problem is still there though - "review", we say that is what the comments are for good, constructive criticism and review. Most tell us if there was a rating system then they would respond and that means development and that takes time (especially when others things are more important for the overall such as a WYSIWYG)....

Not sure being an expert blogger means just having 500 points, someone can easily get 500 points but simply not be "there", Expert blogs (at least to me) are those bloggers who have proven themselves over time - Tom Jung is an Expert Blogger, Brian McKellar is an Expert Blogger (although most of you may not know who he is), Gregor Wolf, Michal K., Raja, etc. these are folks that (and there are lots at least 200) that have blogged and proven themselves doing so regardless of their point stand.

Former Member
0 Kudos

How can we determinate an expert blogger or an expert blog ( in a practical way )?

Are we talking to change the actual review or remove it ?

Can we make some kind of incentive to that people that write blogs to write wiki ?

Can we make the new wiki pages more visible ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

another possibility is to add another group

Community Blogs

News

Expert Blogs

Technical Blogs

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm in the community since quite 1 year, I wrote my first blog this week, so I have maybe just a small vision of sdn and its dinamics but I would like to share my thoughts.

From my point of view a community should not be driven by "access rules" or by "moderators" but the community should drive itself defining and applying its internal rules.

I think that the main problem now is that the sdn community do not have the possibility to make its member respect its own rules.

One of these rules is "do not blog if you have nothing to say", so let's take the blog problem as an example.

First I think it's not correct to decide if someone is allowed to write a blog.

Who can decide that? A moderator? do you think this is really applicable to a community? How many moderators would it need, how much effort for them? How to define a clear access rule?

Additionally, how, in general, can you say if something is interesting or not before having heard it?? The community has to decide what's interesting!

Analyzing how it works today (AFAIK), when a blog is published the author automatically gets 40 points.

After some days the blog is reviewed and the author could gain some more points depending on how much the community was interested in it.

question 1: Why the initial 40 points?, to me it sounds like "post quite whatever you want, at least you'll get 40 points.."

question 2: How do you decide if the community was interested in a blog without any real feedback from the community?

Don't you think that the blog process could be changed into something like:

1) everyone is allowed to blog

2) no "intial" point for each blog

3) the community do not just comment the blog but also rate it, (like it is normally done for answers in threads), and members may even mark it as a copy, or as a suitable WIKI content, or whatever else (labels?!)..

4) after a week (or maybe more), depending on the poll result points would be awarded if the case, or the blog would be converted into a WIKI (by the same author) or removed(?) if considered not interesting by the community.

Obviously a final higher level moderator check would be necessary to avoid any kind of trick or "strange behaviours".

In this way everyone would become a "small" moderator, and the final result would be a unique global democratic community moderator.

Initially I thought that removing a blog labeled by the community as unuseful would have been a right decision but I reconsidered it because a really low rank in the search engine would have the same result of a deletion but would probably avoid a too strong impact (and risk of misunderstanding of the aim)

I think that this would discourage from posting "just to get points" blogs, and would give the community the change to govern and teach itself.

Just some thoughts,

Kind Regards,

Sergio

Former Member
0 Kudos

We area target community, although I am pushing for "everyone" to be allowed we still have a responsibility as a targeted community for "who is allowed to do what" we are not Blogspot.com after all. Therefore we have an application process which helps to filter out the "spammers" and those who would abuse the system.

Otherwise the process you suggest is the process is in place it might not be as straightforward as you want but it is there - people don't take advantage of it enough though.

The 40 initial points was done because everyone complained it took to long for them to see any - and since we have points (regardless of what anyone says - everyone wants them) now that 40 can also be removed or it can go down - in fact just last week (or was it the week before?) two blogs got lowered to 10 and 20. Look at that 40 points as a placeholder in the system for us to know what we need to look at each week.

OK but I appreciate your suggestions and I will be sure they get added into the list for discussion...

pokrakam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I have always found the SDN version of 'blogs' a bit different to the rest of the net's view on what a 'blog' is. This has always bothered me, but not overly so. I think many of the Quality Blogs such as Thomas Jung's developer journals, various FAQs etc should really be "Technical Articles".

I am not really trying to suggest a new category, I think that's where we are trying to head with the Wiki. The problem is that there are 40 points awareded to a technical article / howto published as a blog (incorrectly in my view), and 40 points awarded to someone's musing on technology. As has already been pointed out, much of the disputed blogs are really blogs in the true sense, such as you'd find on blogspot.com etc.

I would really see the distinction between blogs (in the rest of the net sense) and howtos + technical articles (what SDN called 'Blogs') made clearer. By all means lets move the techie knowledge stuff to the Wiki.

Just my thoughts,

Mike

former_member181923
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Mike -

Great post, in my opinion, even if it is critical of the kind of blog that I have been guiltyt of posting on occasion.

I'm wondering, could you post a new "sample" blog post of your own here in this thread - one which is NOT the kind of "how-to" that you'd like to see out of the blog area and IS the kind of blog post that you think SDN should encourage in its blogsoace?

Or, if you don't have time to write a "sample", could you link to one or two existing blog posts that satisfy your own criteria for what a blog post in the SDN blog post should be ?

I think that if we all had a particular example to evaluate from different perspectives, it would help the discussion immensely.

Best regards

djh

Former Member
0 Kudos

I do not think blogspot or similar blog places are a good place to compare S(D)N blog page with. SDN is a community while these are assortment of individual bloggers.

However, if the idea of a blog has to be in conformity with how it is in all other places, S(D)N can give blogspace to everyone wishing for it (like TJung@sdnblogs, DJH@sdnblogs, CoolMarioH@sdnblogs and so on), in which case members will need to go to pages they like. Maybe a not so visible page listing most-recent can still be there.

I am sure I for one would not like to visit such a blog page as often as I do now (ie if at all I do -except for Mario Herger as long as he sticks to what he does best), just as I visit S(D)N but not blogspot. S(D)N blogs are more successful than most that are sited here by many, so it skips me why we would want to copy other (less successful one)s, but maybe this is something inevitable.

In such case, I would like to visit 'articles' section more (assuming I want to read technical stuff more than the 'blogs') and would like to have similar structured 'articles' page where I could check the new contributions (maybe it is already structured such) and subscribe to feeds. Same with wiki, where much-maligned 'how-to's can be quickly and easily reached.

My personal opinion is if we go this way, the blog page popularity will quickly go down. There would be a usual bunch of say 500 opinionated people hanging there, recycling much of the same stuff which is nothing bad by itself, just that it will not be for me (and maybe most other S(D)Ners). After all, opinions galore already in all sorts of places from cio.com to gartner and aberdeen and so on, and are generally better than what we see in similar pieces on S(D)N.

cheers,

pokrakam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi David,

Apologies if you misunderstood, I was trying to be objective and matter of fact, without being critical of anyone's postings. As I said I actually disagree with the SDN concept of 'blog', but that's just my opinion. To put it another way:

In the general blogosphere blogs tend to be news, events, ideas, ramblings, anecdotes. Blogs invite commentary, and a good blog is one that gets a lot of comments & references.

SDN blogs started out as a forum for publishing what I would see as technical articles, FAQs and howtos. A good blog was one that is informative, educational and gets read a lot.

Personally I'd have preferred technical articles to be what they are and would like to see them move to Wiki going forward. I have already ported my one and only blog to Wiki. Let the blogosphere become an area for blogs in the true sense of the net.

As for examples... you're asking me to put my foot in it

I currently have the BSP blog topic open, so let's see...

<a href="/people/raja.thangamani/blog/2007/02/08/accomplishment-of-tab-and-auto-tab-in-bsp-part-ii of Tab and Auto-Tab in BSP: Part-II</a>

Excellent howto. I wouldn't call it a blog.

<a href="/people/john.patterson/blog/2006/10/02/sudoku-solver-written-in-abap-bsp">Sudoku Solver written in ABAP / BSP</a>

This is technical, but could be a blog because it's irreverent and a bit of fun.

<a href="/people/ed.herrmann/blog/2006/10/19/using-sdn-to-win-the-demo-jam-on-two-continents">Using SDN to Win the Demo Jam on Two Continents</a>

News, events, views... blogs.

Again, these are just my views.

Cheers,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Let me first comment on the <a href="/people/tarun.telang2/blog/2007/02/08/widgets-for-sap-applications-on-mobile that has triggered it and that Craig has chosen to insist as being good enough for SDN and quoted in this thread earlier.

- Since we are minding the language here, I would stop at saying the blog was ‘superficial’. Ofcourse others can think otherwise. That is why there is a ‘comments’ section, where one can opine. And I should also mention that content has since been added to the blog in case you are checking it out only now.

- If it was ‘creative’, I would think people on average get such creative ideas once every 243 seconds. Yes, I am being sarcastic, can’t help, my apologies.

- If it was about widgets, how?

- If it was about possibilities, suffice to say there are already applications(widget or not) running in real-life where people are transacting with the back-end ERP system using the cellphone. Long time back(probably close to last century end) SAP released webconsole which could be used to run SAP mini-apps over internet-capable cellphones, and it is still around. My company did a case-study presentation in TechEd in 2005 on a credit-line check application that customer ran on blackberry (not a widget I admit, but then this blog was only so much about widgets anyway).

- If it was about this once in a lifetime event called iPhone, S(D)N is still not a proper place for it I would think.

All I can think of in defense of this blog was the appeal it might have for people who get excited with the buzzwords and/or iPhone. Nothing wrong with it, same as nothing wrong with people who are not and say so.

Now, back to what this thread was for:

- I think SDN is doing a great job. A growing community has to be a chaotic community. We need to see the comments on blogs in this respect. I would say SDN publishing this or any other blog is perfectly ok. Someone commenting it is not worth SDN shall also be ok in the same vain.

- Moderators have final say on what gets published. We shouldn’t bug them about it. But we should be able to say what we think of it in the comments section. If it gets acrimonious, moderators can step in. Let there be a guideline to not contact moderators just to say a blog is not worthy of SDN. Moderators also need to learn to 'ignore' such communication if it still comes to them.

- A subjective piece is bound to get subjective comments. Earlier, most blogs were how-tos, and the comments accordingly found objective faults in them if there were any. Now, you have people talking about ideas, where it is bound to trigger opinionated subjective comments from others. It is inevitable, and it is not wrong. Over-moderating it would be pointless.

- Do not compare no of blogs while analyzing the acrimony on blogs page, compare no of readers. Earlier, say there were 5000 readers and say 1 negative comment per 10 blogs. If you extrapolate it to 100000 readers, you should expect 20 negative comments per 10 blogs. You need to analyze whether situation has really gone worse, or whether you are ignoring some parameters. It could be that what you need to look at is increasing the no of moderators. (I think in Freakonomics or some other recent book, there was this study that said that any feeling of group connection or community is lost once the size of entity is more than 160 people. If you go by it, to have a cohesive community you need at least one facilitator per 160 people by this account.).

- As an interim measure, you can let the blogger moderate the comments. He/She can approve comments before they appear on S(D)N. This way commenter would anyway have communicated his/her opinion to the blogger, and you would still not have the negativity that you are trying to avoid. It may make blogs less interesting though.

- Any mechanism that makes a ‘good’ blog stay longer on the main page would be a good idea. I had given <a href=" suggestions</a> in an earlier thread in this regard, one might look at similar methods to make sure we get the blogs we like. This way, blogs page can stay as it is, however the blogs not appreciated would disappear faster (maybe you can have a top-n blogs of the week at the top followed by the most-recent list). Most-recent list in my opinion is something that should be persisted with.

Lastly, I understand a 'community evangelist' may at such times feel as being in the most thankless job in this world, but it is not so. S(D)N and its blogs page are hugely successful, and regardless of some turbulance in comments section at times, blogs, bloggers and the S(D)N team have been of tremendous value to all members. It is human nature to complain vociferously but appreciate silently (at least I am so).

cheers,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for taking the time to respond Ajay now that we got the misunderstanding bit out of the way.

I would like to point out for everyone though that the single blog Ajay links to was <b>not</b> what triggered it, it just happened to be the last item.

This has been a growing concern for us on SDN team in terms of the blogs and the comments they receive publicly which does not even compare to the number they receive privately. Why people feel it better/easier to respond privately I can only assume because they feel that doing it publicly is either too offensive or they feel that since this is a community about a specific area that the it is the moderators job to "do something" they feel/think is wrong.

This growing trend is what spurred this along with the continued expansion of our one community into multiple communities.

Please keep the feedback coming - it's all of you that decide...

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think we need to have two types of blogs - moderated and unmoderated.

The moderated ones would need to go through some sort of review process before being posted, whereby a moderator can make sure it's "meaty" enough, it's not better as a wiki etc.

The unmoderated ones would be more free for all, where there would still be some standards - no name calling, no plagiarism etc...

All topic areas would have the two types, so, for example, there would be a moderated portals area and an unmoderated portals area.

I think the people who say they like the "recent blogs" would probably like "recent moderated blogs".

Thinking further, and in line with the recent comments about the Business One blogs, we may need a third area for "Business One Announcements".

Cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

hehehe. B1 rulez!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please do not remove the "Most Recent" list. I am also one of those morning coffee guys.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Before I provide whatever inputs I might have, I would like to point out the following in your blog entry-

<i>Over the years the blogs here evolved into very rich technical content with the addition of the BPX community it started to evolve again into excellent strategy, theory and conceptual content - <b>yet</b> we have those who complain when something is posted.

</i>

(the highlighting is mine)

It seems to insinuate that folks who are complaining are complaining <b>even</b> when something (that is rich technical content, or excellent strategy, theory or conceptual content) is posted.

I complain - in comments on blogs. I think comments are meant to provide feedback to the blogger even if negative. And I think your statement above is biased. Somebody asking for honest inputs shouldn't already be taking positions I would think. I do hope you didn't mean to convey your disapproval of 'complain'ers with this.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not biased - fact. When I receive 50 mails on average a week complaining about a blog or 113 about one in particular I have to ask why. OK the 113 several did say it was good about half the other half complaining.

We have those who complain because they don't think it's good although others do - it's a matter of expectations and what the community expects even when the "beginner" tag is used many complain that the information is too basic or not detailed enough but others who swear it was exactly what they needed.

So again expectations!

I disapprove the negative aspect in general and "complainers" don't help so yes I disapprove of complainers - constructive criticism is not complaining there is a huge difference. Those who simply yes "this is horrible" but not why, that does not help the blog author at all - those who complain that is adds no value but do not say why.

I want the community to make a clear statement of what they expect to see in the blogs I also want them to be honest and up front with their peers about what they write but if you want to comment to simply say you think it's no good or does not belong is that enough? Is that right?

For example I will not go into a XI blog and say it's no good - even when I used to review the blogs (I don't anymore I asked someone else ot do all the blog reviews for awhile) - I got others that I trust in judgment and knowledge to give me their feedback before I awarded or removed points from the blog. It's not my area of knowledge so unlike others personally I don't read all blogs only those of interest and I use an RSS reader so I have them all in one place.

Now as a moderator I read every single blog ever posted on this site since July 2005 and I sent thousands of mails to people asking opinions and advice on what they thought about blogs out of my areas of knowledge (why some took longer to get points than others) but I always paid close attention to the comments because that's the only measure I had of what the community thought and if there were no comments I would search for the URL and see if it was used anywhere - during this time I have seen a dramatic change in the type of comments posted and it increased in an alarming trend that made red lights go off and the other day I had enough and decided it was time for a pulse check thus this thread/blog.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I read your answer as if negative comments are not good for S(D)N whatever be the content of the blog. One option could be you can enable the blogger to approve before any comment appears on the blog (public display), he/she can always see them.

I however strongly disagree with this view. If I can't comment freely (as long as it is in appropriate language) I do not see any point of it. As a token of protest to such viewpoint, I would refrain from any comments on any blog from now on.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Then you read that wrong - constructive criticism (basically negative comments in the proper language with good intentions with a positive desire to help improve the blogger) is perfectly allowed. Simply saying "this is the worst blog in the world" has no place in a professional community.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think you hit the nail on the head earlier, Craig, when you said that there are many communities in our blogsphere. Seems like each of the blog "Topics" creates it's own community.

I guess the expectations of the community might be different for different topics. For example the expectations of those who want to read Enterprise SOA blogs are probably different than the expectations of the community interested in the ABAP topic, or Universal Worklist.

One universal expectation maybe is that blogs tagged with a topic have something to do with that topic.

I'm not sure what additions we should make, but I think that if every blogger read (and took to heart) the great set of guidelines and tips that Marilyn has put together in her <a href="///people/marilyn.pratt/blog/2007/01/18/blogging-101-in-sdn-and-bpx 101</a> and in <a href="//wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/Community/GettingStartedWith+Blogs">some wiki pages</a>, there would not be so many complaints and you would have some more room in your inbox

Former Member
0 Kudos

Craig,

Great that you are getting this discussion going, it is a worthwhile one, even if your heading a tautology !-) My views as an occasional blogger , regular reader and

technical lightweight.

1.Tagging is something we should make better use of and be more disciplined about. I'm not against a bit of humour every now and again, but for those that dont want to see the occasional light post, tags would be the best way of avoiding this.

(perhaps in your profile you could set a rule to never display anything tagged humour) What James Governor calls tag gardening would go a long way.

2. Comments are as important as the post. If you dont like a post, then comment, but say why clearly, without any personal attacks, constructively. Similarly if you like a post, then say so.

3. email the moderator as a last resort.

4. I like the Digg idea, but I worry it could be gamed.

5. Encourage wiki posting and gardening.

6. Add blogger and blogging to the spellchecker

I think SDN is working well. You guys do a fabulous job.

former_member181923
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Petr/Nigel -<br><br>

It comes down to the questions of:

1) what outward face does SAP want to present on the main SDN page?<br><br>

2) how do non-SAP developers perceive the scope of their responsibilities to SAP and SDN<br><br>

I think these two questions should govern the discussion - not navigational issues. Once consensus is reached (ha-ha) on the answers to questions (1-2), I'm sure Craig and his team are more than competent to resolve any resulting navigational matters.<br><br>

Regards<br>

djh

former_member181923
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Take what Mark Finnern calls the "how-to" blogs off the main blog page and list links to them in a "sticky" index post at the top of each Forum. <br><br>

Posters would still get the 40 points for these "how-to" blogs, but ...<br><br> ...they would not clutter up a main page that should demonstrate the strength of SAP by showcasing the fact that SAP is courageous in its willingness to encourage diversity of opinion within its development community.<br><br>

This is not at all a "knock" on "how-to" blogs - I find many of them useful and I keep my own list of links to the ones I think I will be able to use in the future.<br><br>

I just don't think they belong on the main page and could more easily be accessed via the "sticky" Forum indices as outlined above.<br><br>

Plus, of course, this approach would remove the distressing "cheer-leading" and "preaching to the choir" which now sneaks into what seem to be "how-to" posts on the surface ...<br><br>

Regards<br>

djh

petr_solberg
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Craig,

please please please please under no circumstances, please do NOT do this:

'One thought we had was to remove the "Most Recent Blogs" view and not show them - only the individual topic areas.',

selfishly speaking only for myself, I have a routine, of every morning for 15 minutes with a coffee checking the newest blogs in the blogs section to see if there is anything of interest for me.

By having all newest blogs horizontally across components in one vertical list enables me to see where I got to yesterday morning and read up through the list and see if there are any new blogs relevant to the components that are in my technical orbit.

If you do what you suggested above,

''One thought we had was to remove the "Most Recent Blogs" view and not show them - only the individual topic areas.'',

people like me will have to navigate between vertical components blog areas and that will be both time consuming and inconvenient.

Many thanks for giving consideration to this feedback and no hard feelings from the last time we were in contact re: PHP and SAP

Thanks,

Petr.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I agree with Petr on this " I have a routine, of every morning for 15 minutes with a coffee checking the newest blogs in the blogs section to see if there is anything of interest for me."

Craig, if you still insist on removing that one, well, Can you do us a favor by putting a passive link called "recent blogs" so people like us can make use of it effectively?

The home page of blogs will have only the Topic Areas as suggested by you. And there will be a link on the top saying "Recent Entries"

Regards

Ak.

petr_solberg
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ak,

thanks for the support, nice to know I am not the only one who likes the Recent Blogs list.

Moreover, I have a habit of cutting and pasting blogs which are interesting for my technical orbit, cutting and pasting them and saving them into word documents and putting them into my electronic documentation library.

This is a bit of a hassle, is there any chance we can have a pdf generator button on all blog pages, like we have now for the OSS notes so that we can generate a pdf of the blog and save it more easily.

Thanks and regards,

Petr Solberg.

petr_solberg
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

David,

'Take what Mark Finnern calls the "how-to" blogs off the main blog page and list links to them in a "sticky" index post at the top of each Forum. ',

please don't suggest that, that's even worse, making everyone have to navigate through each forum to find technical how to blogs.

Why not just leave the blogs section like it is and let people use their own intelligence to decide what to read and what not to read.

The blogs AFAIK eventually fall off the recent blog list and a re searchable via their vertical technical component orientation anyway.

SDN et al, you cannot please all of the people all of the time, but you can please some people some of the time, you cannot be everything for everyone and sometimes in life the best decision is no decision.

Why not just let people make their own decision as to what they do and do not read. For example, and of course with due respect, I do not read the Grumpy Old Man blogs, they do not interest me, so I choose not to read them, this however does not mean I think the Grumpy Old Man blogs should not be there, and the Grumpy Old Man blogs continue to demonstrate the diversity of the community and content here. And if the Grumpy Old Man blogs make people think then they are successful.

To conclude, please keep the recent blogs list, and why not consider as a decision for how to proceed to decide to leave things like they are and let members of the community make their own decision on what they do and do not read.

Kind regards,

Petr.

Nigel_James
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Astoundingly, I am going to agree with "Petr" here. Which may be surprising because he really did disagree with my thoughts / position in a recent <a href="/people/nigel.james/blog/2006/08/11/update-from-the-phplondon-user-group">blog</a> which he is kind enough to acknowledge.

But that is ok. What really matters is that his point today is valid. Please don't take the most recent link off. Or if you must keep the feed. Unlike Dan I do use that feed to keep on top of the latest blogs. It's a simple matter to skip through the ones I don't want to read.

What if you stopped approving all blogging applications today and made people do a tour of duty in the wiki. Get them to create content there where other people can edit it, improve it, delete it. Once they have graduated then let them blog.

There probably should be more promotion of the library too. It doesn't have a link on the main bar so it is "out of sight out of mind" even though it is searchable. Can we also do better than guid urls for those documents too. Can we use url rewriting to have plain English urls / titles for these documents?

What about RSS feeds for new library articles?

Ok enough for now, but just like Jaws, rocky and terminator. 'I'll be back'.

Nigel

petr_solberg
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Nige,

I'll buy you a beer one day if we find our selves on a project together, you can do the PHP part

Apart for supporting the argument to keep the Recent Blogs list, you made two other excellent points which I will reiterate:

1, Can we use url rewriting to have plain English urls / titles for these documents?

2, What about RSS feeds for new library articles?

Personally, I think the Library is a fantastic and extremely valuable feature of the SDN, the search tool in the Library is extremely valuable especially as you can list your search results in date order which makes finding the most recent component technical documents much easier as you simply need to do the same search regularly listing it in date order and remember the last time you did it and looking only at documents newer than the last time you made the search, but....

an RSS feed of new library articles would make such activity much easier.

All the best,

"Petr".

petr_solberg
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

David,

I'm confused now, you said...

1) what outward face does SAP want to present on the main SDN page?

2) how do non-SAP developers perceive the scope of their responsibilities to SAP and SDN

To your Item 1, isn't this discussion about the Blog page and not the Main SDN page ?

To your item 2, this one really confused me, maybe it's because it's Friday and it's been a busy week, would you please if only for my self confessed limited inteligence expand on what you mean by, 'how do non-SAP developers perceive the scope of their responsibilities to SAP and SDN' ?

You lost me there.

Kind regards,

Petr.

former_member181923
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Petr -<br><br>

To me, the blog page IS the "main SDN page". But I realize from your response that I should have made this clear - sorry for the unintentional unclarity on this point.<br><br>

With respect to "scope of responsibility to SAP and SDN", all I mean is the range of topics that non-SAP developers want to blog about and whether SAP should impose restrictions on this range.<br><br>

If virtually all non-SAP developers simply want to blog and read about relatively low-level technical topics, then the second question doesn't arise - i.e. the question of what restrictions SAP should impose on topics.<br><br>

But if there are a fair number of non-SAP developers who want to blog and read about serious issues confronting SAP today, then the question of restrictions does arise.<br><br>

SAP pays for this site and it is therefore totally within SAP's rights to impose restrictions.<br><br>

But if they choose to do so, then I think they should be up-front and honest about it, i.e. they should say in "Rules of Engagement" or "Guidelines" that the primary <b>non-technical</b> purpose of SDN is to push a specific management message, and that "off-message" blog posts are "off-limits".<br><br>

Regards<br>

djh

petr_solberg
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi David,

thank you for clarifying both of your points.

Speaking only for myself, I find it useful to have the whole mish mash of subjects on the Recent Blogs page, I mean the technical and non-technical. I read a lot more of the technical blogs than the non-technical ones, but if there is a SAP business(y) style blog with a subject heading that attracts my attention then I read it.

I think for us techies it is important for us to know what the business men at sap are thinking too.

If we are skilled in our fields and perhaps at technical architect level for the companies and projects where sap is being implemented then not only do we need to know how to implement the greatest continuously available technical component solution, but we as architects will also benefit from know the direction sap management want the products to go in and the message they are selling this will enable us to plan for the long term when we are implementing components and give consideration to the direction sap is moving in.

Recently I saw a blog where an employee of SAP was questioning the new method for downloading support packs that comes in from the second of April and requires that we use the Sol Man to download the support packs. When I read what this gentleman wrote I thought to myself, 2 and a half years ago I was asking myself the same question when confronted with the SLD, what is thing this for, why make it so complicated, two and half years later I see why we have the sld and where we are going and whenever I see some new direction from sap I remember this story and think to myself, what is the bigger picture what do they know that I don't.

For me all information is useful in some way and it should be the readers choice whether or not to click on a blog link.

All th best, and now I must finish my work so I can home, have a good weekend,

Petr.

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Nigel wrote:

"What if you stopped approving all blogging applications today and made people do a tour of duty in the wiki. Get them to create content there where other people can edit it, improve it, delete it. Once they have graduated then let them blog."

An intriguing idea, although the graduation process might open up an additional Pandora's box of questions such as:

<b>Questions about previous bloggers</b>

What would we do with all existing bloggers (some of whom might have "failed" the certification had they been forced to undergo it )? Would that provide a cleansing mechanism? Would we go back and remove all un-wiki certified blogs and bloggers?

<b>Questions about suitability of wiki for certain kinds of content and contributors</b>

Would all people wanting to use the blog mechanism want to use the wiki?

What is the best staging ground for individual postings once passing the testing grounds of collaborative publishing or would they immediately become bloggers?

Would there be exceptions, if say a recognized subject matter expert or external thought leader (even professional writer) wanted to blog but didn't want or need to go through wiki school? Can one imagine Shai Agassi or other executive bloggers doing that as well? Very egalitarian and interesting but is that practical? How would this work for a podcaster (linked to our blog mechanism at present) who only wants to provide recorded content? Could they by-pass wiki approval?

<b>Questions about target audiences</b>

Would there be same the rules for technical and non-technical content? Does such graduation further raise the technology bar savvy of participants or lower it?

Very thought provoking idea, Nigel.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Both Nigel and Petr asked for a way to use RSS to learn of new additions to the SDN/BPX library. Ask and ye shall receive - RSS feeds from SDN "library" pages will be live shortly. You'll be able to subscribe to any SDN topic page - say <a href="https://www.sdn.sap.comhttp://www.sdn.sap.comhttp://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/developerareas/security">SAP NetWeaver Security</a> and be notified whenever something new - a new white-paper, how-to, or the like - is added to that page. Who loves ya? SDN, that's who. :^)

Scott J.

petr_solberg
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Scott,

your reply bought a smile to my face.

Which made me think, no matter what all of our opinions are on how this should be done, or how that should be done,

nobody can deny,

SDN is a fantastic website and fantastic resource for everybody in any way having anything to do with the SAP area

and this whole thread is an example of the SDN striving to be better and better

I challenge anybody to disagree

Petr.

HarshC
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

My two cents:

<b>Wiki:</b> Excellent medium for collaborative(wiki!) user generated documentation.

<b>Q:</b> Why have more documentation? Isn't help.sap.com enought?

Lets face it, sometimes its just easier to read what works rather than whats right :). The official sources for most things goes through so many levels of hierarchy & processes that the message gets lost.

For eg: my friend works in a law firm and hasn't heard of SAP. Which link would make more sense?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAP_AG

or

http://www.sap.com/index.epx

With a wiki page we are not trying to replace or even add to help.sap.com. We are trying to address a different need.

<b>Blogs:</b> This is the my space. Don't moderate it!!

a. You are free to TELL me if I suck, TELL me if I should stop.

b. You are free to disagree, you are free to respond in comments/blogs.

c. You are free to rate my post badly.

d. If you think my post should be a wiki page.. why don't you make one out of it! or ask me to.

What is moderation, if not telling the bloggers what they should/shouldn't write about? And where is the fun in that...

<b>Q: </b>Why do we need it at S(D)N? Well we don't really need it ! Bloggers are free to blog on one of the hundreds of other sites on the internet. But if you do want people to blog on S(D)N, please do NOT censure them, lest they move to other places.

<b>Q: </b>How do we solve the current problems regarding blogs?

Build a better blogging platform!

<i>"The problem with quality of data should be solved by better sorting/searching and not by reducing the amount of data".

</i>

The Internet is an exception to the rule that

<b>"QualityxQuantity=Constant"</b>

a. Allow readers(subscribers) to easily rate the blogs. Allow readers to choose blogs with different rating levels

b. Allow readers to "digg down" bad posts.

c. Allow readers to respond to blogs with their own posts+trackbacks

d. Complete content RSS feeds...

e. add your own suggestions here.

Have I gone overboard? Maybe its a friday evening thing

Regards,

Harsh

PS: I've been off SDN lately, however I came across this thread in nigel's personal blog, which got picked up by technorati under the "SAP" tag that I subscribe to in bloglines! Thanks Nigel..

Former Member
0 Kudos

First and foremost - this has nothing to do what what SAP wants for blogs this is about what the community wants so you can ask yourselves until you are blue in the face what SAP wants but we won't say - SDN is not about a management message, a SAP message or anything like that.

The question is about expectations of the community for what is in the blogs - let's stick to that. David you and I have discussed this already and anything about your blogs was about COMMUNITY response <b>not about SAP response</b>.

Please stick to the question at hand here and let's not assume what SDN or SAP is "pushing" we have always been honest and up front with the community and have at no time used you or other means to push any form of marketing type messages.

As for the "most recent view" 3 people I think have said no and this thread has been read 379 times not really looking like a overwhelming majority here.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Harsh said:

"What is moderation, if not telling the bloggers what they should/shouldn't write about? And where is the fun in that...

Q: Why do we need it at S(D)N? Well we don't really need it ! Bloggers are free to blog on one of the hundreds of other sites on the internet. But if you do want people to blog on S(D)N, please do NOT censure them, lest they move to other places."

Harsh, moderation on a community is required because it's a community Blogger.com and Wordpress.org are not communities hence the need for moderation and every community I've ever been to has it to some degree - Wikipedia is the biggest.

Can you blog about anything you want here - NO you can't, it must be within the scope of the community regardless of current or future guidelines. The fact that this is a professional community and NOT Blogger.com also says there are certain expectations about your behavior to other community members and telling someone they "Suck" is simply unprofessional.

Harsh said:

"Q: How do we solve the current problems regarding blogs?

"The problem with quality of data should be solved by better sorting/searching and not by reducing the amount of data"."

How can a problem of expectations by the community be solved by new development? Please stick to the issue at hand.

former_member188975
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I agree with Petr: Please don't remove the "most recent view" of the blogs.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm with Bhanu. For many, the Recent Blogs page <i><b>is</b></i> the SDN main page.

HarshC
Active Participant
0 Kudos

<i><b>1. </b>Harsh said:

Q: Why do we need it at S(D)N? Well we don't really need it ! Bloggers are free to blog on one of the hundreds of other sites on the internet. But if you do want people to blog on S(D)N, please do NOT censure them, lest they move to other places."

Craig said:

Harsh, moderation on a community is required because it's a community Blogger.com and Wordpress.org are not communities hence the need for moderation and every community I've ever been to has it to some degree - Wikipedia is the biggest.

Can you blog about anything you want here - NO you can't, it must be within the scope of the community regardless of current or future guidelines. </i>

I will have to agree with you on this one 100%. The point I was trying to make(and probably failed at) was that the moderation should be minimal.

Communities have general guidelines which need to be followed. They cover the following areas:

a. Content: What topics can/should be writtent about.

b. Presentation: The right way of writing a post.

On the latter, we already have a consensus and some very comprehensive documentation available.

It is regarding the Content, that I urge the moderators and the community to be as lenient and patient as possible! But of course there are obvious exceptions! http://www.boctaoe.com/

I say this from personal experience as some of my favourite posts have had nothing to with SAP (atleast directly). Valery's rebuttal on optimizations is one of my all time favourites! I forwarded it to over 1200 people in one of our internal company mailing lists

<i>

Craig said:

The fact that this is a professional community and NOT Blogger.com also says there are certain expectations about your behavior to other community members and telling someone they "Suck" is simply unprofessional.</i>

Although I personaly have no issues if a commentor comes out and tells me that I(or my post) sucks. However, I see your point here. In a professional community perhaps one should replace:

a. Sucks with a more apt word

b. and criticize the post rather than the person.

Thus I (once again)agree with you, the method/presentation for feedback should be a lot more refined than "you suck", and I'm sure you agree with me feedback as such should be as candid as possible?

<i><b>2. </b>Harsh said:

"Q: How do we solve the current problems regarding blogs?

"The problem with quality of data should be solved by better sorting/searching and not by reducing the amount of data"."

Craig said:

How can a problem of expectations by the community be solved by new development? Please stick to the issue at hand.

</i>

Franky I'm a bit suprised by your response to this one! I'll assume your question wasn't rhetorical and urge you look at community driven models like digg that help good content surface and are very effective at "digging down" bad content. I would completely understand if you were to come up with reasons why this model does not (or cannot) apply to S(D)N, but fail to see why my comments were offtopic.

Regards,

Harsh

Message was edited by:

Harsh Chawla

Former Member
0 Kudos

Harsh said:

<i>Franky I'm a bit suprised by your response to this one! I'll assume your question wasn't rhetorical and urge you look at community driven models like digg that help good content surface and are very effective at "digging down" bad content. I would completely understand if you were to come up with reasons why this model does not (or cannot) apply to S(D)N, but fail to see why my comments were offtopic.</i>

Digg and many others help filter the content up or down - but we have an issue with expectations - that's the topic at hand we have two communities (actually more here) and what people expect in the blogs differ from person to person and community to community so what we are looking for is WHAT does the <b>COMMUNITY EXPECT</b> when they go into the blogs.

You say blog what you want with little moderation so you are beyond that point but the constant complaints I receive in emails and see posted says many are not. Once we get that part worked out then we can look again at the tool itself and what's available and what is not. First I gotta figure out what people expect so we can update the guidelines.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I spend most of my time on the SDN blogs.

I hate to suggest yet another way to categorize things because this is so hard to moderate as it is, but perhaps categorizing blogs by high level such as like what Craig has mentioned is a good idea. These might include

1. Personal Experiences

2. Theories, Ideas and Concepts

3. Strategies

4. Marketing and Product Releases

I enjoy the real world examples the most.

What I least enjoy are "consulting" type blogs that contain inaccurate information. I think that this does a disservice to all community members. I know this goes against the idea that we are an open community but I think that SAP still has some responsibility that information being shared is accurate. Especially since a majority of the community does not comment when something is incorrect.

As a customer that is moving from the R/3 world to ERP and Netweaver, there are many challenges. In the world of Netweaver the first place I go for information is SDN. If I read a "consulting" type blog telling me that I should use technology X instead of technology Y, I want to know the following:

1. The blog contains accurate information

2. The blogger has some related experience with the technologies

3. That as SAP and SDN is doing its best to ensure the community is getting accurate information.

I came across a blog like this the other day and the only thing that was in the bloggers business card was the company name.

Perhaps bloggers who are beginners should be limited to the "Personal Experiences" type of blogs. Or there really needs to be a thourough vetting process if you are writing blogs outside of this area.

Just a couple of thoughts for the discussion.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think you should take it easy and enjoy the success you've been part of. Building such community so quickly is such a great contribution to anybody involved in the SAP world. Especially on the technical side of the SAP world.

In most cases the quality of content ranges from acceptable to great. Now there're exceptions and SDN should treat them as such. Don't make the mistake to drastically change a system that works to address few situations. But if you believe the system is that bad, well maybe i should try to look at it through your eyes.

I don't think the community should be policing. Let freedom be and let time take care of the rest. But at the same time , SDN should try to maintain a basic level of moderation to avoid anarchy. At the end there's still more good than bad.

If I may, I'd like to request SDN to add some more serious and higher quality content via sponsored content. Especially on the new topics. I know that costs money but SAP has money, right? Sometimes I wouldn't mind reading sponsored content in this ocean of free stuff. That could occasionally improve quality and professionalism and interest...

Take care

former_member10945
Contributor
0 Kudos

> If I may, I'd like to request SDN to add some more

> serious and higher quality content via sponsored

> content. Especially on the new topics. I know that

> costs money but SAP has money, right? Sometimes I

> wouldn't mind reading sponsored content in this ocean

> of free stuff. That could occasionally improve

> quality and professionalism and interest...

What do you mean by "sponsored content," like a company like Accenture being paid to post outcomes of a recent client engagement or a company like Forrester publishing study information on SDN?

-d

Former Member
0 Kudos

I agree with Anton - people will criticize/appreciate - however 'censoring' that we do not want this content is something moderators together with the entire community should decide.

Criticize the content, not the topic/blogger.

Plagiarism - I agree should not be allowed. As many say give a second chance to the blogger , let him know this has already been blogged about or present in help.sap.com There is a likely chance the blogger would not have seen this , considering the plethora of content we have out here.

Regards,

Subramanian V.

Former Member
0 Kudos

When I receive 113 emails about a single blog post (both goods and bads) instead of seeing 113 comments then I feel there is something wrong and that the community is no longer collaborating instead they are running to the moderators.

This is part of the problem and what I am looking for from the community I see suggestions here for solutions and I see comments about thoughts which are good, we are a growing community though and without some basic guidelines in place anarchy does rule so in the end the goal of this thread is to "find" those guidelines and that MUST come from all of you.

As with most things it's the exceptions that cause the problem as that is what everyone seems to focus on. We feel some "guidelines" would help to change that focus...

One thought we had was to <b>remove</b> the "Most Recent Blogs" view and not show them - only the individual topic areas.

Former Member
0 Kudos

> What do you mean by "sponsored content," like a

> company like Accenture being paid to post outcomes of

> a recent client engagement or a company like

> Forrester publishing study information on SDN?

>

> -d

Yes Daniel. That's what I mean.

former_member10945
Contributor
0 Kudos

Just a few comments, kind of fractured as I haven't really thought this through yet, but i will try and break this up into major areas:

<b>Content Location:</b>

For me I'm not sure this matters much --- When i make something that is static its a blog when it changes its a wiki, but when I am <i>looking</i> for information, which I assume is the bulk of your audience, I don't care what form it's in. The only things I care about in that case is, I can find it and if I have a question the author of the content sees the question. So overall a blog is preferential, it's more of a conversation.

<b>Content's Content:</b>

If you put out dumb stuff, then you will be known as someone that puts out dumb stuff, seems obvious right? I check the "Blogs" page many times a day, if something on there doesn't strike me as readable then I don't read it and I certainly don't waste time commenting on it. I don't get everything emailed or RSS-ed to me, why? Because a lot of stuff just doesn't apply to me --- its not that it is bad, it is just that I don't care about every area. Now, if the content could be easily rated, a la, Digg I might subscribe to the top 5 blogs of the week feed or something like that and who knows my eyes might be opened up to a whole world of XI/MDM-ness that I find fascinating -- then again, maybe not!

<b>Gross Negligence:</b>

Plagiarism, copying, et. al. should under no circumstances be tolerated by the community and up until this point it has not been which is great Do I think SDN needs to remove this content, No. Do I think they might held legally liable if they do not -- yes that is possible, so I understand the need to expunge the material. However, I don't believe comments or community reaction should be removed or toned down. Google is a powerful tool I would look very negatively on someone who I knew had stolen/copied/derived a work without granting credit and if that is not enough motivation not to steal other people's work then, certainly no punishment SDN could levy will work.

<i>"thinking so you will too."</i>

-d

Former Member
0 Kudos

for me it's actually rather simple

a blog that

- adds something individual/original and/or creative to our common knowhow

- and has something to do with our day-2-day job

- and, to a fair extent, respects/acknowledges other's work

is well worth to be published.

with respect to this categorization

- I liked today's blog about the iPhone with the SAP widget on it (creative) even though I am bored with the general iPhone hype

- I disliked today's XSD blog, because it lacked originality and empathy for the topic presented

- I appreciate beginner's blogs, even if I consider them to be very trivial or if similar content has already been blogged,as long as I get the feeling that the author adds some kind of personal experience or perspective

- I can't stand advertorial blogs like the notorious BUSINESS ONE LANDING PAGE .... crap; this definitely belongs elsewhere(marketplace, forum, ....); I get really angry imagining each SAP 'component' announcing their translation to the 26th language in the blog space

Actually, I am no peer reviewer or judge. Just a user. Interested reader. I do not want to have any strict rules on blog content. If I consider a blog to be unsuitable I do add a comment stating my concerns. Sometimes more readers do the same. I think this is way sufficient, the author has to stand this criticism and maybe also the company listed on her business card. Most probably he will think a little more about his next contribution. Maybe this requires from community moderators a little more relaxed acceptance of 'flaming' or a formalization thereof (thumbs up/thums down voting on blogs).

my 2 cents. anton

former_member374
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

We may be too big by now to be able to please everyone in the community. Which means that we will have to live with the fact that not all members are happy all the times, which is tough when you are on the receiving end of the complains.

Nevertheless I like that you(we) are doing a pulse-check. Looking forward to the comments. May be we get collectively a couple up to a handful different suggestions that the community can vote on and that is the rule for the a year when a new round of community feedback/revision phase could happen.

Let the dance begin, Mark.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have the so now we need to know where it all goes.

I for example want good honest content, your stuff from your own experiences. Your real life information, things you did with your team how you interact with the virtual and physical community, how you implemented your project the hurdles the solutions!

I think, /people/tarun.telang2/blog/2007/02/08/widgets-for-sap-applications-on-mobile or /people/johannes.reich/blog/2007/01/18/who-poses-the-requirements-for-business-document-content, are perfect blog entries, /people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2007/02/08/xipi-command-line-sample-functions is a cross between a blog entry and a wiki entry, and /people/raja.thangamani/blog/2007/02/07/accomplishment-of-tab-and-auto-tab-in-bsp-part-i is a perfect Wiki entry.

I would like to see the more technical HowTos and tutorial go into the library and the Wiki. I would like to see the theories, ideas and concepts - the strategies the effect the overall market is having -- those are blogs. I want more Podcasts and Videocasts and I want the community to speak up and share what they are doing.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Craig

Off topic...

The 5580 pointer leads to a missing page. I think the , at the end is the problem...

Cheers

Nigel_James
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Today we had a post pulled because it wasn't substantial enough.

We have had accusations of plagiarism... some well founded.

We have had blogs that look very similar to each other.

My blogging philosophy is if you don't like it move on. Live and let live. Plagiarism is absolutely not acceptable but if a guy writes a post and you think it is too beginner or the content has been covered 100 times before, can you pull your head in and hit j in google reader?

I thought the iPhone post was a good one and I thought that guy who wrote that really short blog and then copped some flack and took his bat and ball with him was a good one.

Why are we so snitchy round here? Aren't we grown up professionals? This is not a gamers site. It is the developers network for the third biggest computing company in the world.

Kind regards,

Nigel