cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP on iPad?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys!

I'm looking for possibilities using SAP in combination with an iPad. Has anyone any experience with that?

Thanks for your help!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

shival_tailor
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Benedikt,

Did you get the answer you were looking for?

Would you like to make your question marked as Answered?

Best Regads,

Shival

_IvanFemia_
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

currently the design suggested by SAP is SUP + NW Gateway for online application and SUP + MBO/DOE for offline application.

On the frontend side you can choice between native application or HWC for HTML5 application. At the moment I suggest to move on Native application even more you plan to use only iPad.

Regards,

Ivan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ivan,

In terms of SAP recommending SUP & Gateway I'm struggling with this at the moment.  Whilst the concept of Gateway is great, enabling simple access to data via oData concepts, I see the extra license implications as a barrier at the moment.  SUP take-up has not been anywhere near as successful as many anticipated - certainly in my experience often the reason for this is the extra investment needed to license the system.  Now SAP are saying you also should license a further system to enable simple, lightweight on-line apps?!

I think long term, SAP need to rationalise down the licensing in their mobile portfolio.  In a funny way, I think the recent announcements of tie-ups with Adobe for PhoneGap and a number of other bridging libraries vendors actually works against SAP in the short term, as many customers & ISV's realise they can create powerful mobile app's without actually needing SUP or Gateway.  (The fact you could already use PhoneGap et al with an SAP system is a moot point I guess...)

The danger is that further down the road, customers will realise that without a proper mobile strategy and supporting infrastructure (i.e. SUP & Afaria) they have created a spider's web of mobile app's that all need supporting in different ways and cause headaches in the process.  I'd prefer to see easier (i.e. less expensive) access to SUP, Afaria (and Gateway if required) right now, so that we can talk with customers and get them to sign up to these platforms from the start, instead of being put off by all of the extra licensing.

Just my thoughts, not necessarily correct!

Gareth.

0 Kudos

Hi Benedikt,

If you want to go for an enterprise application kind of thing then you can go for Sybase Unwired Platform which will actually solve all your problems of bringing SAP to i-Pad but, if you only want to have traditional SAP Transactions run on your i-Pad then you can download an app from app store called "SAPPLAPP". it will bring whole of your R/3 on your i-Pad in traditional way....

Regards,

Saurabh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, please think very carefully before trying to replicate the SAPGUI on a tablet device! In my opinion this is a massive mistake from a usability perspective, successful mobile apps tend to be simple to use and be very targeted towards  a specific subset of tasks.

RamBilasYadav
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you are looking for accessing SAP system from iPad, please refer to the link https://store.sap.com/.

Go thru the link "Mobile Solutions".

SAP has published lots of standard apps ready to use on iPad/iPhones.

Mostly the apps use SUP, SAP NW Gateway & Backend SAP appliction (like ERP, CRM, SRM etc...).

Hope this is what you are looking for.

If I have misunderstood your requirement, please eloborate what you are looking for.

Regards,

Ram.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Benedikt,

As already mentioned, you could look at Sybase SUP, which offers a number of packaged solutions (notably CRM & HCM based initially) and offers a full development, infrastructure and device management suite of tools (especially when partnered with Sybase Afaria.)

There are also other ways of course, such as device specific applications, jQuery based solutions, PhoneGap (and indeed other bridging libraries are available) or a combination of the above.

We have implemented solutions & proof of concepts on iPhone, iPad and Android devices using Web Dynpro on top of a CE+BPM instance, jQuery applications on top of CE+BPM and also PhoneGap & jQuery solutions on top of ECC instances, and of course Sybase hybrid workflow type app's which make use of some of these libraries in combination with the SUP features.

I think it would help people to give you better answers if you can ellaborate on the specific requirements you might have, or explain some of the business areas/scenarios you are thinking about.

Often, you need to take a step back and consider the infrastructure requirements, such as on-line versus off-line data store, data synchronisation requirements, etc. before you can really start looking at a particular technical solution/strategy.  If anything, your biggest challenge is deciding just what you want, and then picking the most appropriate environment in terms of features and development effort.

Gareth.

Former Member
0 Kudos

SUP (SAP Unwired Platform, formerly called Sybase, if I remember correctly)?  Perhaps an application that run on the iPad and communicated with R/3 or SAP user-facing applications, like SCM, SEM, CRM, etc.