cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extended Notification Limitations?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gurus,

I am configuring extended notifications so users can approve/reject actions directly via email.

I have been able to configure it for expense approvals, as there are standard user decisions in the workflow.

As the user decision has a task linked to it and the outcomes are present in the standard workflow, it was easy and straight forward.

I want to do something similar for the leave request workflow. Unfortunately there are no user decision steps in it and I do not know which tasks to include in swnadmin. If I want to give the approve/reject option to the user, do I need to customize the workflow for the same or is there something I am missing?

Kindly advise.

Regards,

Dale

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

bpawanchand
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Dale,

To send leave request for approval I hope you are using the standard workflow WS12300111 workflow.

or may be you might have took a copy of this template and you have mapped in the IMG settings.

Now as you said for Leave approval task TS12300097  there are not multiple outcomes because this task will import the result into a standard container element REQ which has a field called Status.

Now if you want to send a leave request to out look email the you have to configure the leave request approval task in the view cluster SWNCONFIG.  Check the below note.

https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1646056

Regards

Pavan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pavan,

Thanks for the helpful answer. Is it certain that we cannot configure email notifications via swnadmin?

It has to be swnconfig?

Regards,

Dale

anjan_paul
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can customize the workflow  and add standard user decision step.  As you already configure standard user decision for expense approvals.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anjan,

I was thinking on those grounds. However I was not sure what impact it will have on the standard UWL.

Have you tried implementing the same?

@Pavan: The same question to you, can you please update if you have tried to configure the approval task in the view cluster in swnconfig.

Regards,

Sumeet

anjan_paul
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

We configure the Standard User decision step in UWL  . And use it for Approval  process for lot of the workflow.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the update. Have you done something with the leave request workflow? I was thinking on extending the workflow, can you give a screen grab of the leave request workflow please?

cheers!

Dale

anjan_paul
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

What workflow no you are using.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are using WS12300111 for leave requests. Thanks.

anjan_paul
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I did not implement it. The follwing link it may be helpful for you.

http://scn.sap.com/thread/1686029

Or

You can post it to UWL forum

http://scn.sap.com/community/portal/universal-worklist

bpawanchand
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Dale,

Thanks for the helpful answer. Is it certain that we cannot configure email notifications via swnadmin?

The transaction SWNADMIN or SWNCONFIG you can use any of them to configure extended notifications.

The issue would be is that once if you configure any filter criteria from SWNADMIN then all the time you have to maintain this filter criteria or category from SWNADMIN you should not perform any editing that you have defined from SWNADMIN from back end transaction SWNCONFIG.

Regards

Pavan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pavan,

I am referring to this quote of yours:

'Now as you said for Leave approval task TS12300097  there are not multiple outcomes because this task will import the result into a standard container element REQ which has a field called Status.'

How can I achieve this with swnadmin? Can you please update me, as I do not see anything apart from adding tasks into the selection, how do I add the multiple outcomes so they appear as links?

Appreciate your time on the same.

Regards,

Dale

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can anyone help please?

bpawanchand
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Your issue is still not resolved....? You want to configure leave approval task in SWNADMIN.

Regards

Pavan

Message was edited by: Pavan Bhamidipati

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pavan,

I have configured it, the email does not have the approve/reject links in it the way it is in UWL.

I want to know how I can get the approve/reject links in there without affecting the standard workflow. It just appears too complicated with my limited workflow knowledge. I am happy to change the workflow, if you can advise how I can change that or update me what can be done in swnconfig/swnadmin to accomodate the links.

Regards,

Dale

bpawanchand
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Usually in this kind of scenarios where we expect to send a notification to the manager and get the approval of the request via email, this scenario is possible, but when it comes to leave workitem approval you can do this,

The reasons are

1. When ever you execute the leave workitem then it calls either a java application or web-dynpro application. And to show this application via out look is a bit hard thing to achieve , You can do it by creating a web service task and making this task available in the workflow and you need to configure this in SWNADMIN its a time taking process.

What I would suggest you to do is instead of expecting some kind of buttons in the notification what you can do is  provide a URL(External or Internal Portal Address) of the portal in the mail, so user can login and access his UWL inbox his all workitem, based on the workitem he can take some action.

No if you still looking for what you asked then I need some time to check the process and data flow..

Regards

Pavan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Pavan for the helpful answer. Unfortunately we have multiple portals for various reasons, hence I cannot provide the url access to UWL. However, the customer definitely wants the approve/reject links in the email.

I am happy to try any option you suggest, we are stuck due to lack of a skilled workflow consultant. How does it work withthe UWL, normally extended notifications behave as-is the UWL. Should we consider on making a user decision step in the workflow, do you think it is easier to achieve or might impact the standard leave approval process.

Really appreciate your time on this.

cheers!

Dale

bpawanchand
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Dale,

Did you try to maintain any value in the Subscription Settings for the parameter SHOW_EXECUTE_ACTION_AS Here you have some 4 possible values try to check by assigning as mentioned below

If you have missed out this then mention the above value.

The most important thing that you have to keep in mind is that you make sure that the leave approval is configured in the SWFVISU transaction. other wise it takes to other transaction SWNWIEX So first configure the task in SWFVISU txna nd make the above mentioned setting then try to check.. I think this should resolve your issue.

Do not make any changes in the workflow

Regards

Pavan

Message was edited by: Pavan Bhamidipati

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pavan,

Thanks for this, I have configured swdnadmin, will delete the config there and start with swnconfig. I do not see an option as show_Action_execute_as in swnadmin, hence I guess I need to use swnconfig.

I will get going on this asap, I have a deadline of next week, I wanted to quickly check with you on if you have implemented leave approvals for extended notifications, I need to update business if the approve/reject links will appear on the email.

I will keep you posted on how I get along on swnconfig, have only used swnadmin so far. Thanks again for your help, much appreciated, would have been stuck otherwise.

Regards,

Dale

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi again Pavan,

My only concern is that the task TS12300097 in the approval process has no outcomes. The conditions of approve/reject sit on the multiple condition and hence do not have a task attached to it.

So as you mentioned when I populate SHOW_ACTION_EXECUTE_AS, we expect this gap to be filled?

Regards,

Dale

bpawanchand
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

My only concern is that the task TS12300097 in the approval process has no outcomes. The conditions of approve/reject sit on the multiple condition and hence do not have a task attached to it.

So as you mentioned when I populate SHOW_ACTION_EXECUTE_AS, we expect this gap to be filled?

Let me make it as points

1. Once you configure in SWNCONFIG the filter condition then the next is
  2. You have to make sure you configure the task in SWFVISU as below
  3. Now after above two points are met , what ever the gap you felt is no more treated as gap, because when the user clicks the link in OUTLOOK, then it redirects him to the application which you maintained in SWFVISU, and the application has the respective logic to transfer the result to workflow container.... so in this way the result is transferred to workflow and as you know WF is smart enough to move a head once it receives the result or completed the action.

Regards

Pavan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Pavan!! You are a star!!! I will get going and keep you posted.

bpawanchand
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hey Dale nothing like that....... If I find some time then I'll post a video on this discussion may be you can expect by next 3 to 4 hrs.. The new SCN features has made my life so easy to express the solutions...

Former Member
0 Kudos

That will be smashing. I am just going through the sapnote for swnconfig. Will change my plan and go for a walk, it is beautiful and sunny up here in glasgow, it is rare we hit 25 celcius.

former_member185167
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

"I want to do something similar for the leave request workflow. Unfortunately there are no user decision steps in it "

if it doesn't have user decision steps then what does it have instead to get approvals?

regards

Rick Bakker / hanabi technology

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rick,

I somehow missed your question. I am using standard workflow WS12300111. The approval process in it is TS12300097, unfortunately it is not a user decision step but an activity with multiple outcomes.

As per the configuration for extended notifications, if the outcomes are in a user decision step, they appear as links in the email i.e the approve reject links appear in the email.

The solution so far seems the only way to achieve it is by changing the workflow and making the approval process a user decision step. Do you know of any other way?

I am not a workflow expert and stuck in this case, kindly advise.

Regards,

Dale

former_member185167
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I would copy the workflow and customize it to add a user decision. I like to keep things simple!

regards

Rick Bakker / hanabi technology

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rick,

I agree with you, that is the easiest solution. Unfortunately I am more of a Portal/ Abap developer with no knowledge of workflow. Looking at the workflow it looks complicated to change the activity and multiple decision to a user decision step.

Any help on how the workflow could be changed will be appreciated. I do not want this solution to affect the way standard UWL works, hence the lack of confidence in trying to do it.

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,

Dale