Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to search a value in a filed type xstring

0 Kudos

Dear all, I need to search a special characters "# - that  is equal to return to next line" in a string field and to replace it.

Becuase this is  a special character, is not possible to search it directly in the string filed but i need to use a XSTRING definition.

I'm using this form, that works correctly, but it's slow, because for each line it needs to scan all the character of the string to search the "#"(

<critical_x> = '000D' ) that I'm interested.

conta = 0.
        DO .

* Scansione della nota per eliminare gli eventuali cancelletti
          ASSIGN wa_lines-tdline+conta(1) TO <critical_x> CASTING.
          IF <critical_x> IS NOT ASSIGNED.
            EXIT.
          ENDIF.
          IF <critical_x> = '000D'.
            <critical_x> = '0020'.
          ENDIF.
          IF <critical_x> = '000A'.
            <critical_x> = '0020'.
          ENDIF.
          conta = conta + 1.

ENDDO.

My question is, there is another way to do it ?

Are there faster possibilities ?

I check that the ABAP command SEARCH doesn't work on binary field.

Thank you in advance

Davide

4 REPLIES 4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Davide,

You can use  "FIND FIRST OCCURRENCES OF REGEX in your string.

For example i am searching for space in my sentence:

FIND ALL OCCURRENCES OF REGEX '\S+'  IN I_SEARCH_STRING RESULTS LT_WORDS.

You can use find command to search for special charcters

Or you can also use CA (Contains Any) , CO (Contain only) keywords to search for special character in a string

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear David,

You can use following options to find out your special characters.

1. REPLACE ALL OCCURRENCE OF '#' IN "UR_STRING" BY "SAPCE".

USE CONDENSE TO REMOVE SPACES.

2.You can go for CP(Contains Pattern), CO(Contains Only) etc as described follows:

CO (Contains Only)

The logical expression

<f1> CO <f2>

is true if <f1> contains only characters from <f2>. The comparison is case-sensitive. Trailing blanks are included. If the comparison is true, the system field SY-FDPOS contains the length of <f1>. If it is false, SY-FDPOS contains the offset of the first character of <f1> that does not occur in <f2> .

CN (Contains Not only)

The logical expression

<f1> CN <f2>

is true if <f1> does also contains characters other than those in <f2>. The comparison is case-sensitive. Trailing blanks are included. If the comparison is true, the system field SY-FDPOS contains the offset of the first character of <f1> that does not also occur in <f2>. If it is false, SY-FDPOS contains the length of <f1>.

CA (Contains Any)

The logical expression

<f1> CA <f2>

is true if <f1> contains at least one character from <f2>. The comparison is case-sensitive. If the comparison is true, the system field SY-FDPOS contains the offset of the first character of <f1> that also occurs in <f2> . If it is false, SY-FDPOS contains the length of <f1>.

NA (contains Not Any)

The logical expression

<f1> NA <f2>

is true if <f1> does not contain any character from <f2>. The comparison is case-sensitive. If the comparison is true, the system field SY-FDPOS contains the length of <f1>. If it is false, SY-FDPOS contains the offset of the first character of <f1> that occurs in <f2> .

CS (Contains String)

The logical expression

<f1> CS <f2>

is true if <f1> contains the string <f2>. Trailing spaces are ignored and the comparison is not case-sensitive. If the comparison is true, the system field SY-FDPOS contains the offset of <f2> in <f1> . If it is false, SY-FDPOS contains the length of <f1>.

NS (contains No String)

The logical expression

<f1> NS <f2>

is true if <f1> does not contain the string <f2>. Trailing spaces are ignored and the comparison is not case-sensitive. If the comparison is true, the system field SY-FDPOS contains the length of <f1>. If it is false, SY-FDPOS contains the offset of <f2> in <f1> .

CP (Contains Pattern)

The logical expression

<f1> CP <f2>

is true if <f1> contains the pattern <f2>. If <f2> is of type C, you can use the following wildcards in <f2>:

• for any character string *
  • for any single character +

Trailing spaces are ignored and the comparison is not case-sensitive. If the comparison is true, the system field SY-FDPOS contains the offset of <f2> in <f1> . If it is false, SY-FDPOS contains the length of <f1>.If you want to perform a comparison on a particular character in <f2>, place the escape character # in front of it. You can use the escape character # to specify

• characters in upper and lower case
  • the wildcard character "*" (enter #* )
  • the wildcard character "+" (enter #+ )
  • the escape symbol itself (enter ## )
  • blanks at the end of a string (enter #___ )

NP (contains No Pattern)

The logical expression

<f1> NP <f2>

is true if <f1> does not contain the pattern <f2>. In <f2>, you can use the same wildcards and escape character as for the operator CP.

Trailing spaces are ignored and the comparison is not case-sensitive. If the comparison is true, the system field SY-FDPOS contains the length of <f1>. If it is false, SY-FDPOS contains the offset of <f2> in <f1> .

DATA: F1(5) TYPE C VALUE <f1>,

F2(5) TYPE C VALUE <f2>.

IF F1 <operator> F2.
   WRITE: / 'Comparison true, SY-FDPOS=', SY-FDPOS.
ELSE.
   WRITE: / 'Comparison false, SY-FDPOS=', SY-FDPOS.
ENDIF.

The following table shows the results of executing this program, depending on which operators and values of F1 and F2.

<f1>

<operator>

<f2>

Result

'BD '

CO

'ABCD '

true

'BD '

CO

'ABCDE'

false

'ABC12'

CN

'ABCD '

true

'ABABC'

CN

'ABCD '

false

'ABcde'

CA

'Bd '

true

'ABcde'

CA

'bD '

false

'ABAB '

NA

'AB '

false

'ababa'

NA

'AB '

true

'ABcde'

CS

'bC '

true

'ABcde'

CS

'ce '

false

'ABcde'

NS

'bC '

false

'ABcde'

NS

'ce '

true

'ABcde'

CP

'*b*'

true

'ABcde'

CP

'*#b*'

false

'ABcde'

NP

'*b*'

false

'ABcde'

NP

'*#b*'

true

With Regards,

Akshay

0 Kudos

Hi, the command CA,CO and also REPLACE doesn't work If I have special characters.

REPLACE ALL OCCURRENCE OF '#' IN "UR_STRING" BY "SAPCE".

Return SY-SUBRC = 4. It's true that in debug in the string you see "#" but this is fitted. This is a special character with a different ASCII(and HEX) code.

Have you got other suggestion ? In fact I've to search the character in a XSTRING TYPE FIELD, not a normal string. I don't konw If there are some possibilities without scanning all the field.

Regards,

Davide

0 Kudos

In the replace statement instead of '#' use CL_ABAP_CHAR_UTILITIES=>NEWLINE. Also its SPACE ( your spelling is wrong )