cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding SPS4 revision 29 update from SP3

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I am planning to update HANA SPS4 from SPS3 revision 24, which is already installed.

OS version is SUSE Linux 11 SP1.

Any specific order is there to install..I am planning to install first

Hostagent,HANA client and HANA DB server..

Can we also install the HANA DB first and then the Agent and Hana client?

Can you pls advice

Regarrds

Chandra

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I am trying to update Revision SPS4 Revision28 from SPS3 Revision 24.

I already installed host agent and now trying to upgrade HANA DB using ./hdbupd , but i get below Upgrade failed error

ERR: Upgrade failed

ERR:   Checking system requirements failed

ERR:     Performing HANA platform check script failed

INFO:       Starting external program /usr/bin/python

INFO:         Command line is: /usr/bin/python /usr/xxxxxx/HANASP4/yyyyy/SAP_HANA_DATABASE/server/HanaHwCheck.py

INFO:         Output line 1:

INFO:         Output line 2: performing Hardware check......

INFO:         Output line 3:

INFO:         Output line 4: System Manufacturer            Cisco Systems Inc         OK

INFO:         Output line 5: System Product Name            R460-4640810              OK

INFO:         Output line 6: CPU Model                      E7540                     not supported

INFO:         Output line 7: OS                             SLES 11 SP 1              OK

INFO:         Output line 8: Memory Total                   262144 MB                 OK

INFO:         Output line 9: Core count                     24                        OK

INFO:         Output line 10: Hyper-threading                Activated                 OK

INFO:         Output line 11: Numa functionality             Activated                 OK

INFO:         Output line 12:

INFO:         Output line 13: Hardware check failed!!

INFO:         Output line 14:

INFO:         Program terminated with exit code 255

Anybody got idea on this.

Does it mean CPU Model E7540  supports SPS3 but not SPS4?   

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I refered note 1652078 - SAP HANA database: Hardware check

I just confirmed that Current CPU model and the new CPU model architecture and functionality is almost same except the model number

So is there anyway we can skip the Hardware check process ?

Regards

Chandra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, you need to modify this file /usr/xxxxxx/HANASP4/yyyyy/SAP_HANA_DATABASE/server/HanaHwCheck.py

Putting a remark '#' on that checking and it'll bypass it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chandra,

I believe you are using SAP supported hardware only as update issue was faced only now. So, although you can update the machine as Hilda prescribed, it will be good to inform SAP(via message) about the issue you are facing on an officially supported hardware.

Regards, Rahul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Hilda and Rahul

Thanks for reply.

Yes it gets skipped as you said,

Anyways i will inform SAP about this too.

Regards

Chandra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi chandra,

I think one of your UCS blade failed, please check your physical hardware working fine or not.

in CIMC can find reporting how many failed DIMMs.  The script is looking for full located memory ?GB of memory but due to DIMM failure, that requirement is not met.  The DIMMs will need to be replaced before script will run successfully. 

please let me know if you need any more information

Thanks

Ravindar

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

you can go to the HDB_SERVER_X64/server

there is a file name as hanaHwcheck.py

open it in vi editor and commented the line self.HWInfo['CPU Sockets']=len(lines)-1and added self.HWInfo['CPU Sockets']=1 in the HanaHwCheck.py,

and also set the env variable IDSPISPOPD="1"

and then open python

• import os
  • 'IDSPISPOPD' in os.environ.keys()
  • exit()

run the installation again............

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vivek,

please be aware that this is not supported and will lead to a non-supported installation.

If the HW is proper supported HANA HW and the error message is still provided, then a support incident needs to be risen.

- Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

done sir

and thanks for your replay

./hdbinst --ignore=check_mem_min

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vivek,

To be clear the ./hdbinst --ignore=check_mem_min is a wrong values the actual value is ./hdbxxx --ignore=check_min_mem.

When we have used this value we where able to ignore the memory issue and the upgrade has been started, but in the stage of starting the database the database is not being started.

When we have increased the RAM size to 24 GB the database has been upgraded and the database is working fine now.

Regards,

Ramakrishna Yella.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi.

it is:  ./hdbupd --ignore=check_min_mem.

with this process we can complete upgrade process but if we have less than 15GB

System will hang with  unable start nameserver and deamon.

Thanks

Ravindar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Can you tell me exactly where to put the # ?

Please help.

Kind Regards

Andrei

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Andrei

if you face this issue, please open a support message with SAP as this is a bug in the HWcheck program.

All certified hardware platforms must be correctly recognized.

- Lars