cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integrated Business Processes with ERP Systems Textbook Discussion

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please ask questions to the author team about the content and exercises in the Integrated Business Processes with ERP Systems Textbook

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Dr Word,

thank you for writing this book. I am trying to enroll for the interactive course for this book, but cannot find any institutions offering this course on the WileyPlus web site. I contacted WileyPlus and they could also not help. Is there a way to still do the interactive course for your book?

Thank you and best regards,

Michael Sekler

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dr. Word

I have adopted the "Integrated Business Processes with ERP Systems" textbook to teach the ERP systems Class in Spring 2016. I was looking at the interactive PDFs you have designed and made available via WIleyPlus. I just completed the sinclge code company and multiple code company for chapter 2 and realized that they are both the same exercises. I wanted to know if  there are any differences between the SCC and the MCC and when should I be using which one.

Thank you

-Jignya

mark_hwang
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Jeff,

I have been using your book for several years and it's been great.  Will you have an updated version of the book out soon?  Thanks!

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Mark-- we have updated the original textbook and enhanced it as an ebook.  Business Process Integration with SAP ERP ebook | Epistemy Press Store    We're waiting until the new S/4HANA solution gets adopted widely before doing a full-blown update with new UI, etc.  Will probably be a couple years for that.

Jeff

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Dr. Word,

I'm going to teach the ERP subject this coming semester with the capacity of 200 students per class. I've gone through your book and some exercises from WileyPlus websites. I found that the SAP exercises for GBI is more on individual basis whereas I'm planning to have a group based assignment for my class. Do you have any suggestions or ideas on what kind of group assignment that I can assigned to my students.  If you can provide sample questions that would be great.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to your response

Regards

Hasmida

Former Member
0 Kudos

According to the textbook, WileyPlus is the best place to go. But it will increase students' financial burden for paying the access fee.

SMagal
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Hasmida

You are right, all the exercises are intended to be individual work.

I believe that these exercises should be done individually for maximum learning.  In groups, one person tends to dominate and the others simply watch.

For group work, I have assigned more advanced exercises that build on the individual exercises.

Others' experiences may be different.

Thanks,

Simha

SMagal
Participant
0 Kudos

Well, it depends on what you are looking for.  WP has some very useful tools and content.

If you are looking only for the hands-on exercises, they are available at no additional cost in the University Alliances Community on SCN - http://uac.sap.com

Simha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Dr. Simha for your response and enlightenment.

Regards

Hasmida

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Dr. Word,

I am a graduate student of MIS at Northern Illinois University. I took Dr. Yipeng Liu’s course of Advanced Topic of Information Systems using your textbook - Integrated Business Process With ERP Systems. Your textbook is great. I have a question to discuss with you.

On page 62 of your textbook, I don’t think the accounting process of purchasing supplies is correct. In the example, “GBI purchases office supplies for $500 with a check. Office supplies are expensed; that is, they are defined as money spent rather than treated as an asset upon purchase, even if some of the supplies remain unused. In this case, the relevant accounts are bank and supplies expense.”

Actually, supplies unused are assets of companies. Otherwise we don’t need an account called supplies at all. In the given example, I think we should credit $500 to bank account and debit $500 to supplies account. If at the end of the fiscal year, we used only $300 supplies, then we credit $300 to supplies account and debit $300 to supplies expense account. This is the typical process of supplies accounting.

Office supplies are expensed; that is, they are defined as money spent rather than treated as an asset upon purchase, even if some of the supplies remain unused. “ This practice actually goes against the Matching Principle of General Acceptable Accounting Principles (GAAP). It’s not a good example especially in textbook, even though lots of companies are doing real business like this.

I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts of my comments on supplies accounting of your textbook.

Best regards,

Tingkai (Tank)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tank,

Yes, technically you are correct. The purchase should go to an office supplies asset account, a type of inventory. For my accounting class, we use Operating Supplies Inventory since there is no Office Supplies Inventory account in GBI. At the end of the month, only the supplies used would be expensed. However, in real life, I know that many companies expense the supplies because they don't want to go count inventory of office supplies each month in order to record the expense of supplies used. The net result and affect on the financial statements most likely is not significant.

Regards, Nancy

former_member218985
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Jeffrey - I was wondering if you have an approximate timeline for the second edition of your book, i.e., whether it will be published by this fall semester? Thanks.

-Ashraf Shirani

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Ashraf

what exactly do you mean by "second edition"?  We are working on some additional chapters for the first edition of Int. Bus. Processes textbook, but they likely won't be available for fall 2013.  We are also working on a Second edition of Essentials of Bus. Proc and Info Systems textbook that will be available in 2014. 

Thanks

Jeff

former_member218985
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Jeff - I was referring to those additional chapters in the Integrated Business Processes book that you're working on, which I though might appear in the second edition. Thanks much for clarifying it for me.

-Ashraf

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jeffrey,

It seems I will be the only one to ask a question. While reading the first chapter, I learned that we can take certification exams at a reduced cost since my university is part of the University Alliances. However, I found it very hard to find any information about the certification -  how it works, where to start, how do I know if there any discount for students and so for. Could you just elaborate more this topic? Thanks!

- Jurabek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jurabeck

Here's the link to information about the TERP10 certification from university alliances.  http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-23091

Cheers

Jeff