cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HANA on AWS with BO 4.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

I followed the TZ300 cursus and now i'm trying to establish an HANA testing environnement :

My aim is to set up SAP HANA to be able to work with a test dump from my oracle database : i can limit the sample data less than 1Go.

I would like to set up HANA on AWS and use dataservices / BusinessObjects 4.0 on my project : can i do it with the AWS environment ?

I have a starting fee around 330$ is it what to expect with the minimal configuration ? I prefer beeing sure before starting using it.

What are the requirements in licensing to use this configuration ?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guillaume,

The SAP HANA AWS license does not include the BI platform - however, if you have a valid BI4 license, you can connect your local BI4 instance to your HANA server on AWS (just a normal IDT relational connection to your HANA server on port 30015). Alternatively, you can deploy your BI4 instance on AWS, too - see http://aws.amazon.com/sap/ for details.

Regarding pricing, it's hard to give you a ball park figure, as your AWS cost depends on may variables, not limited to but dominated by the uptime of your instance (also storage, I/O, ...). This calculator gives you a monthly estimate for 4 hours of daily usage of the smallest available image (17GB), assuming reasonable defaults for up-/download volumes

When you play a bit with the numbers, you'll find that your monthly bill can be anywhere between 15$ (smallest image not being used at all) and about 1500$ (biggest image up 24/7). Amazon has pretty decent cost control, you can always see how much you've been using. And once you decide it's not for you, just delete your instance and the clock stops ticking...

--Juergen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Juergen,

Most of the users who subscribe to AWS offering are matured BI consultants/Architects who would be willing to analyze the value proposition to business based on SAP tables.

It would be really good if you could replicate the common SAP tables from a IDES or sandbox environment, so that we can avoid spending our valuable time on creating test tables.

Do you think its possible for you to replicate?

//Srikanth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for your fast answer.
I've created my instance on AWS. I'm facing the issue reported in thread http://scn.sap.com/thread/3178261.and actually trying to resolve it.
but my main issue is to know how to import data's in HANA : i have an oracle database and i want to know if it's possible to use DataServices 4.0 SP2 to import data or if it would be best with the method described there : http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-27960 ( assuming we are in SP4 ) ?

What is the state of the configuration in HANA : do i have to follow the installation guide / configuration guide to get it operational ? Is there is so specific configuration relative to Dataservices ?

Thanks a lot

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guillaume,

An entry in your host file (map your AWS Elastic IP address to the hostname imdbhdb) will solve the "some services not started" error. In fact, sapstartsrv is running, it's just not visible from outside because it replies back with the internal hostname rather than the public hostname...

Regarding Data Services, no special configuration is required on HANA. All you need to configure is a data source (Data Services 4.0 SP2 has native support for HANA) on your DS machine:

hth

--Juergen

BTW: the easiest way to load data from CSV or XLS files is described here - http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-27960

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi juergen,

About my issue with sapstartsrv not started, i mapped the elastic ip provided by AWS : mine is 2x.xx.xxx.xxx so i've added to the host file of the computer running hana studio the following entry :
2x.xx.xxx.xxx imdbhdb.sapxxx.sap.com

imdbhdb.sapxxx.sap.com is the information from the command "hostname -f" executed via putty agent or via the amazon ssh client with hdbadm user.
I have restarted my computer to apply the changes with no result.
I have started / restarted the instance both via the ssh connection ( stopsap // startsap ), and via the amazon console.

I'm running out of ideas : i've opened my company firewall, nated the port 50013, tryed with only imdbhdb instead of imdbhdb.sapxxx.sap.com, tryed direct / native network parameter... nothing worked.

The error log in hana studio is the following : [HDB ec2-2x-xx-xxx-xxx.computex.amazonaws.com 00 ( SYSTEM)] Error on refreshing system
     [HDB imdbhdb.compute-x.amazonaws.com 00] Error on refreshing instance

Is this issue prohibe me from importing tables ? is hana working and this error is just a display issue ? or does it disable some functionalities ?

About how to load data from CSV, i've followed the guide but i don't have the same display : as the first step ( ... ) : Quick Launch->Content Section->Import->SAP HANA Content->Data From Local File  : data from local file don't appear i only have "Delivery unit, Developer mode, mass import of metadata and Selective import of metadata : is it because the provided Hana studio version is inferior to SP4 ? where can i download it ?

Thanks a lot for your inputs

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guillaume,

I might be too optimistic, but I think I found the solution for your problem. I did a lot of testing on my own AWS instance and I can switch from yellow to green and back to yellow now

I assume you have the following entry in your hosts file (for your AWS Elastic IP):

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx     imdbhdb

I also assume you have added the HANA system in HANA Studio with hostname ec2-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.compute-1.amazonaws.com.

Please delete the entry in your Studio and add the system back, using imdbhdb as the server name. I am quite positive your status icon will turn to green.

Please let me know if this helped and I'll update the getting started guide

cheers

--Juergen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi juergen,

This worked perfectly, just deleted and added back the system. with imdbhdb as hostname resolved the issue.
Really thanks !

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Juergen,

Im having problem with my Hana adding system. Im getting error SAPSTARTSVR NOT STARTED

I have try some of your fixes, but still not working.

I map my elastic ip 54.xxx.xxx.xx to imdbhdb but still not working

Please help.

You can email me at patcabi1@gmail.com

Thanks

Jones

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jones,

Which of the fixes have to tried? And more importantly, which fixes have you not tried?

The following steps should reliably fix the problem with SAPSTARTSVR NOT STARTED:

• put entry in host file, mapping your Elastic IP to the hostname imdbhdb
  • create the HANA connection with host name imdbhdb. Not the IP address, not the AWS Publish DNS. Just imdbhdb
  • Re-attach your Elastic IP to your instance after start of the instance (well, without that step, you would actually see a red status icon in the studio)

cheers

--Juergen

PS: has been mentioned before - the sapstartsvr warning is more an annoyance than a problem. Your HANA DB will work just fine, you just cannot stop and start the DB server from the studio

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Juergen,

I have mapped my elastic ip address to imdbhdb and try all the fixes but still is yellow.

I have try all the fixes, l even use the ip address as hostname and it was still red.

Please can you send me a screen shot on the mapping of the ip address to the hostname, l know lm doing it right

I will try the re-attached the elastic ip to the instance

Thanks

Jones

Answers (0)