cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP HANA vs Qlikview

Former Member
0 Kudos

can you share your ideas or experince on SAP HANA vs Qlikview ?.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HANA is a DB platform and QV is a BI tool. You should be looking at comparing Business Objects and QlikView. That's what SAP is promoting as their BI tool.

Both BO and QV can use HANA as a datasource. You can think of HANA as SQL 2012, for example, with DB engine level enhancements for additional efficiencies and speed running on super fast hardware with stripped SSDs and 1 TB of RAM. HANA technology requires use of proprietary appliance piece.

From the BI side of things, BO is very clunky and requires you to establish the entire platform before you can start reporting. The costs is another dimension. In my opinion, the visualization and reporting features available in QV are much more superior compared to BO.

Hope it helps

Former Member
0 Kudos

QlikView is not certified to interface with HANA. I would not assume that it can use HANA as a datasource. Is there some validation for this?

Cheers,

David.

rama_shankar3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Guys:

Yes, QlikView is not HANA certified but HANA is JDBC and ODBC compliant. So, for POC purposes please connect QlikView to HANA via ODBC or JDBC connection to HANA  and try it.

Note: I am still not recommending this as a solution but if you have both products in your environment. It might be worth the try as a POC.

Regards,

Rama

0 Kudos

Hi,

I made some tests connection QlikView with SAP HANA:

http://bit.ly/RCwBL7

JDBC driver makes a good job. I think ODBC is not an option...

- Ralf

rama_shankar3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sunil:

Qlikview can use HANA as a database to exploit on HANA ability to support high volume data with good response. The connectivity to HANA can be using JDBC or ODBC.  To the best of my knowledge SAP has not certified this kind of connectivity.

In short Qlikview can be compared to Business Objects solution.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Rama

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

i don't agree with Rama conclusion "In short Qlikview can be compared to Business Objects solution".

Qlikview can speed up your queries because it works with in memory computing.... Business Objects solution haven't this feature.

Regards

Mdikk

former_member184768
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

From the reporting features perspective like "Drill anywhere" or similar it could be compared with BO tools. But from the architecture perspective it can then be compared with MicroStrategy (MSTR).

MSTR also has a data layer called Intelligent Cubes which holds data for speeding up the reporting performance. The intelligent cubes can be refreshed or filled in from the underlying databases.

But in case of MDX or Native connectivity, it is possible to bypass the "in-memory" storage layer in the reporting tool and the data can be accessed from the underlying database.

With the In-Memory databases like HANA, ExaSol or may be TimesTen from Oracle, the access to the underlying database can be speed up considerably.

So I think, from the reporting tools feature perspective, the comparison with BO tools is fine, but from the Architecture perspective it can be compared with MSTR.

Regards,

Ravi

rama_shankar3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ravi, thanks for your comments.

Dik,

My comment was a general statement and yes you can compare Qlikview in general to BO except for the architecture aspect which compares to SAP HANA.

In BO you can create cached instance of  webi report but is not real in-memory.

Can you expand on how Qlikview's in-memory architecture? Is this real-time or batch? If batch, how is it different than BO. Just for knowledge purpose to compare with HANA's in-memory architecture.

Thanks,

Rama

Former Member
0 Kudos

There is a BI Simplified Deployment for HANA/BI RAPID CONFIG FOR HANA, which bases your entire deployment (including CMS) on HANA. By pulling your data sources in (with DS 4.x), and deploying BI on HANA, you significantly speed up your deployment.

As far as MSTR vs BI 4.x, I'd suggest comparing HANA as a platform, and pulling from that in real-time via Webi, Crystal, Dashboard Designer, Explorer, or the upcoming Zen product. All in-memory, all real-time.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The greatest advantage here is generating QVD files in QlikView,  which is reducing the data down to a minimum and still hav details on transactions level.

TH

Former Member
0 Kudos

Qlikview is a BI app that speeds up BI functions by reading data stored in a relational database, and then making that data available in memory on the application server.

HANA is a database that stores data in memory, thereby speeding up BI tools (and any other applications that need data as well).

Comparing the two is not valid.

Cheers,

David.