cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do HANA developers fit in?

0 Kudos

Hi,

I have been practising using Cloudshare developer access provided by SAP. I am quite comfortable using the information modeller and in sql and sql scripting.

However, I haven't seen anywhere where developers are being used for development in HANA implementations.

The requirements is always for consultants with BI/BO background. I am an abaper.

Can anyone tell me any scenario where developers would come into picture?

thanks,

Arun

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member184768
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Arun,

Adding my two cents:

In case an organization is going with the "Greenfield implementation", the requirement would likely to be for the HANA developers with SQL and Modeling skills.

In case the organization already has BI / BW set-up with SAP landscape (SAP R3 / ECC with BW), it is likely to be a migration project with need for BI skillsets.

Since HANA architecture has tight integration with BO tools to provide visual dashboard reporting along with Operation data reporting, the requirement would hence be for BI-BO skillset.

To my knowledge, many of the clients with existing BI/BW set-up are opting to have a migration approach, with the possible re-architecture of the existing application. But it is still in early stages.

People are still trying to find what is best suited for their existing IT landscape considering the product maturity.

You can refer to a wonderful blog written by Lars Breddemann on the way HANA should be perceived in the industry.

http://scn.sap.com/community/in-memory-business-data-management/blog/2012/05/17/still-no-silver-bull...

It should give you an idea of what kind of implementations are expected to be in the industry. And hence the requirements around it.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ravi

rindia
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ravindra,

That was very good information. Thanks for that.

But the link you provided above is no more working. Could you please send the updated one.

Thank you for all your contributions.

Regards

Raj

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

rama_shankar3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Arun:

Adding to the above points: The HANA SQL developers come into picture when additional HANA models are required to be designed and built within HANA studio. Replicating data into HANA only is insufficient for reporting. Further modelling will be always required.

With your familiarity with SAP ECC and ABAP, your skills can be used.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Rama