cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The job server you selected is not working.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have installed Data Services 3.2 on Windows 7 client machine which is a virtual one. The server is installed on Windows 2008 and is on SQL Server 2008 which is again a virtual one. Job server is working fine at the server side but not client side. I have almost checked all the firewall settings and it is still not working.

Can anyone please help me on this as I am struggling with the same issue for the last 3 days?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

vnovozhilov
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Mona,

1. The following KBA should help: 1416303 - How to troubleshoot DS / DI error: The job server you selected is not working. It can be found here: http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1416303

2. What is the full version of Data Services (eg: 12.2.3.4)?

Thank you,

Viacheslav.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you so much. Yes, it seems like some firewall issue.

FYI, I am using BODS 3.2 SP 3.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

we have the same problema as Mona.

Our environment:

Server: Windows Server 2008 R2 - BI Platform XI4.0SP4, Data Services XI4.1SP1 Patch 1

Client: Windows XP Professional 32bit SP3 - Data Services Client XI4.1SP1

We succeded in connect to CMS and run Job from 64bit client and from Management Console.

We are not able to run job from 32bit client.

We check all the potential causes mentioned in http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1416303, without solving the problem.

We cannot make a "telnet" test because, in order to set specific port in designer to listen to Job Server, the Designer return the same "The Job Server you selected is not working" error.

Can you please give us any suggestion?

Thank you

Bye

Armando

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

we solved the issue.

With Data Services Job Server version 14.1.1.284 (on Windows Server 2008 R2) and Designer 32bit version 14.1.1.210 (on Windows XP) the Job Server record in AL_MACHINE_INFO needs to be fully qualified (machine_name.domain_name).

With Designer 64bit (on Windows 7) the connection is established also without the full domain name.

Maybe a bug? The lack of communication seems to be (by telnet test) from Job Server back to Designer and not from Designer to the Job Server, so what's the relationship with AL_MACHINE_INFO information?

Hope this help

Thank you

Armando

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you tell me how to modify machine_name.domain_name in AL_MACHINE_INFO in a SUSE system?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi  Armando,

I have edit the AL_MACHINE_INFO, when I execute the job, it still display the job is not working.

Of course the firewall is off.

My DS version is 14.2.

Is there anything else to pay atention?

DayaJha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi David,

First Check your jobserver status is running or not.

As per your below post you have "UNIX Environment"  so please check job server is running or not using below command.

ps -ef | grep -i al_jobserver.

If your job server is not running then using server manager (./svrcfg) please restart the job server and check your job server staus in that window.

Hope this will help you as well.

Thanks,

Daya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Daya,

The job server is running in server.

DayaJha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi David,

Can you please check the job server Port status using (telnet) in your machine/laptop and also if it not work then check the entry status in database of Local repository using below query.

select machine_name,port from AL_MACHINE_INFO;

If entry is there then please check the paremeter setting in your Tools->Option Tab in  Data Services Designer.

Hope this will help you as well, If your issue is resolved then please close the thread.

Thanks,

Daya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Daya,

Below is our information.

In the tools->option,

Administrator:nic.com:8080

Current: DS14_JS@nic.com:14991

New:DS14_JS@nic.com:14991

And in al_machine_info,

the port is 14991 and machine_name is nic.com.

For the machine name I have changed the original nic to nic.com for the upper suggestion.

DayaJha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi David,

By Default Job Server Port will start from 3500, So can you please ask with your BODS Administrator to put the correct Job Server at the time of Configuration  in place of 14991 put 3500,3501 of Job Server using "Server Manager" (./svrcfg).

For Job Server Configuration you can also refer below guide.

Links:

http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/boexir4/en/xi4_ds_designer_en.pdf

Hope this will help you as well.

Thanks,

Daya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Daya,

Here is the error information.

job server:(nic.com:14991)-notification server error (BODI-1241023)

DayaJha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi David,

Please change the Job Server Port Number from 14991 to 3500/3501, because Job Server port will start from 3500, then Restart the Server Manager(./svrcfg) at Server level (UNIX Box)

Thanks,

Daya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

we are in a Windows environment and we have DS 4.1, not 4.2. The problem we are facing is limited to 32-bit client.

We encountered some other communication issues if the laptop is not set with the correct network domain.

Are you able to run jobs from Data Services Management Console or by sh execution command?

As stated from Daya, the 14991 port number is not a standard one. From the Administrator's guide:

"If you are unsure of which port number to use, use the

default port number and increment it for each additional

Job Server that you configure."

Can you please post the full output of "select * from al_machine_info"?

Thanks,

Armando

Former Member
0 Kudos

If i understand correctly you have installed DI client in Win 7 and server in 2008 and logging to designer using the client right? In that case how are you logging?  Is it using the UserID and Password of SQL or Windows authentication?

Arun

Former Member
0 Kudos

You are right. I am using SQL ID and password.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Couple of things -

1) Ping the database sever name using the command line in the designer machine

2) Though you logged in, the user may not have privilages to access DB.

3) Try to telnet the Job Server port, telnet <jobserverip><JobserverPort>, if no issues then no problem.

4) Telnet to designer port, before doing click tools>options>designer>environment, uncheck allow designer to set the port for job server communication

5) Resync the jobserver to the reporsitory and see if that works.

6) Last but not the least (it happened to me) check both are in the same subnet and no connectivity issues between the machines. If thats the case, try using LAN cable. It will work.

Arun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you so much Arun!