Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enabling audit database

former_member719672
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We are planning to enable the audit database. We have below some query regarding the same, please help me on that:

1) What will be the impact on the data growth. Will it be huge?

2) Is it possible to restrict the storage to last 30 days

3) Any other inputs will be of great help.

Regards,

Deepak

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

Data growth depends

- on the number of users

- on the activity of the users

- on the granularity of audit you enable.

Can it be huge? Yes (under consideration above)

Depending on the Page size defined of the DB, you can consider 10kb per records in average. With 3 000 actions audited in a day, that's 30MB per day. It can go way larger.

Can it be restriced to 30 days? Yes in XI 3.1 (Existing KBs on this - look for "archiving audit"). Unknown to me in BI 4.0 at this point (the DB model of Audit has changed) - but my guess is Yes again.

former_member719672
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Romain,

Many thanks for your reply.

Can you please give me the link for the KB to restrict to 30 days or some n days?

Regards,

Deepak

former_member719672
Participant
0 Kudos

Also if we need to capture only logon information than can it be captured through the query builders without enabling the audit database?

Former Member
0 Kudos

http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1630892

http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1581890

As to logon info, you could probably capture that through QB but you would only get

- latest login

- need to create an HTTP script to run that on a regular basis

- you could miss on intermediary logins.

Quite frankly, I'd stick with Audit.

Regards

graham_sturmy
Active Participant
0 Kudos

If you are talking about who logged on and when, then no, you cannot find much information out through query builder (although you might be able to see when a use last logged on) but at best, it wont be nearly as good as auditing.

If you wish, auditing can be enabled to ONLY collect logon information and nothing else.  Please see the administrators guide for your version of the product at http://help.sap.com/ for details.

With respect to the 'only keeping X number of days' - in BI 4.0 there is a setting within the auditing configuration page in the CMC where you can define the number of days it should keep.  This will then automatically keep just the appropriate number of days data, as you define.

Graham

former_member203111
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Graham,

I am using 4.1 version, I don't see this option there, can you please advise where do i see that option to restrict the data based on the number of days. will appreciate, thanks

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The option to set the ## of days to keep the Audit Db can be found under:

- Login into to CMC

- Go to the Audit section, see screenshot below

Regards,

Ajay

Answers (0)