Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material to Material transfer posting with serial number

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Friends

I want to do material to material transfer posting with serial number. e.g

Material A with diffrent material type having S/N X .

Material B with different material type with S/N X

now I wnat to do a transfer posting from Material A to Material B.

The system is throughing an error message

Message no. IS121

Serial number 10007650 already exists for material 000000004000000458

You are trying to create serial number 10007650 for the material.

This combination of material number and serial number already exists in
your system.

em Response

The system cannot perform the function.

Your system has been configured in such a way that the combination of
material number and serial number must be unique. Therefore, you cannot
assign a serial number to a material twice.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

pankaj_yadav6
Participant
0 Kudos

Why can not you use Batch number for this?

I mean to say if you use Batch no. instead of sr.nos. then i hope this will resolves your query.

Adding more value, if your will use characteristic as your sr no. in your batch then also it will resolve your problem more accurately.

regards

pankaj

Former Member
0 Kudos

One possible solution would be to change the material number on the original record and then perform the material movements separately.  In IQ02 try Edit->Special Serial No. Functions->Change material number.

Another option would be to change the serial number on the original record to something like 10007650-old.  Then you should be able to perform the process you mentioned.

0 Kudos

The message is crystal clear. But the problem remain the same. I will give an example and maybe you know the solution.

Lets say you buy a TV and in a few month your TV is broke. You sent this TV back to manufacturing company. The manufacturing company refurbishes this TV and fixed all the issues. Now they want to sell this TV (same TV with same serial number) but with another packaging material to a 3-rd party retailer under new SKU (material number). All we need is to take this TV, put it in a new BOX and ship out. Everything about this TV same serial numbers the main thing hear. We want to do a material to material transfer posting with movement type 309 and new material inherit old serial number. 

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If the message is crystal clear, then you should be able to imagine the way around.

Many things are just black or white, or in IT language 0 or 1

so it is with this message

if you do a where used search for  the message starting in SE91 then you can only find 1 program: MIEQ0F50

And in this program is a function call to the the existence, and if the combination already exists then SAP sends a hard coded error message.

*   Pruefen auf Existenz

CALL FUNCTION 'SERIAL_EXISTENCE_CHECK'

EXPORTING

material      = risa0-matnr

serialnr      = isernr-sernr

EXCEPTIONS

ser_exist     = 01

ser_not_exist = 02.

IF sy-subrc = 01.

*     Serialnummer existiert

MESSAGE e121(is) WITH isernr-sernr risa0-matnr.       "AL0K093454

ENDIF.

So what can you do?

• Change your customizing to allow redundancy
  • Archive the old serial numbers
  • refuse doing this business scenario as it does not fit to your customizing.
  • Modify the program?
  • Debugging the code and if faulty reporting it to SAP.

0 Kudos

Ok Thanks for the ABAP lesson. Obviously you don't know the answer. Ones I learn on how to make it work I will post since there is same questions on other posts wit the same problem. 

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I don't know what you expect, I gave you 5 alternatives, it is you who  need to check in your system if SAP is right or wrong with this message.  Just the fact that this question was not only asked once does not explain that SAP is wrong, it could also just tell that all the posters had no clue on their customizing and what it actually controls.

Had you already checked for OSS notes? There is is also one for this message.

0 Kudos

Hi Rajeev, have you ever figured this out? I would like to know if you did.

Thank you.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What is actually unclear on the long text to this error message?

If your system is configured to have unique numbers then you either accept this error message and use a different serial number or you need to change your customizing