cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parts of group header not printing with "New Page Before"

Former Member
0 Kudos

My report has Group Header #1 which consists of 4 subsections, Group Header #1a, 1b, 1c, and 1d.

I would like a page break at the start of each new group (alternatively, at the end of a group).  When I go to section editor and check the "New Page Before" (alternatively, "New Page After"), the result is that the first page to print after a group break comes out with only the 1c and 1d headers.  No matter what I try, headers 1a and 1b will not print on the first page of a new group.

Why?

(Using Crystal Reports XI/Professional, v11.5.12.1838)

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I know you are getting frustrated, but you can fix this. Be patient with yourself and work through it... there are no shortcuts. Use a copy of the report for testing so if it gets worse you can start over.

Check the formating on everything in sections 1a & 1b including the sections themselves. Be sure to look for conditional suppression formulas on the fields & sections.

Try unchecking everything on the sections in the section expert

Try dropping a text field in each section identifying it  ("gh1a"  "gh1b" ...) and see if you can see them when you run the report.. Do they print where you expect them to be? Do you see other fields in 1a and 1b?

If you do not find something causing the sections/fields to be suppressed then do as I suggested earlier

Create a new group on the same field as group 1

Move the group into the group 1 position

Split the new group 1 into 4 parts, and recreate them to match what is now group 2 using

freshly inserted fields

DO NOT COPY AND PASTE THE FIELDS FROM THE OLD GROUP 1 INTO

THE NEW GROUP 1, AND DO NOT MOVE THEM FROM OLD GROUP 1 INTO

NEW GROUP 1. I know I said to do it before, but I am thinking that is a bad idea.

You may have missed some formating that will cause the new group 1 to misbehave.

Once you have duplicated old group headers in the new group, delete the old group.

Run it

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Carmine,

Go to Section Expert > Select Group Footer 1 > Paging > Check 'New Page After'.

Also make sure 'New Page After' is checked for each of the headers 1a, 1b, 1c and 1d.

Hope this helps!

-Abhilash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for the reply, however I am not certain I understand this part:

Also make sure 'New Page After' is checked for each of the headers 1a, 1b, 1c and 1d.

If I do as you wrote, I get a new page after 1a, another new page after 1b, and so on.

Still, regardless of what I do, I see only 1c and 1d on the first page after a group break. 

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Could you post a screenshot of what's happening?

-Abhilash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here is the top portion of the first five pages of a report.  The line which reads, "ORDER POINT..." is in the Page Header section.

The next group of lines (up to the one in red) are in Group Header #1a.  The silver-backgound area is Group Header #1b.  The dark red bar is Group Header #1c.  The green text ("Warehouse...") is Group Header #1d.   The report is sorted and grouped on the value of the Warehouse field.

With Group Footer #1 = New Page After, you can see what happens on the first page of a new group (page 4 below) - only header sections 1c and 1d print.  However, on the next page and subsequent pages (until the next group break), header sections 1a, 1b, 1c, and 1d print.

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So, all you want is to start a new group on a new page?

-Abhilash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, with the complete group header.

Just to say, I inherited this report (and many, many, others) from a former employee.  Probably the best approach would be to move everything into the Page Header except the green text ("Warehouse...").  I think that might work, but I really want to know why it does not work with the current layout.

Former Member
0 Kudos

do not check new page before on each subgroup gh1a, gh1b, gh1c,...

instead check new page before on gh1 (parent group header) and you will get a new page on teh change of the group value.

Message was edited by: Debi Herbert

Former Member
0 Kudos

Debi,

I have no problem getting a new page on change in group value. 

The problem is (as illustrated in the images previously posted), instead of gh1a, gh1b, gh1c, & gh1d printing at the top of the forced "new page", for some reason only gh1c and gh1d print.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Okay, sorry I came in late on this. There is probably some odd formating we are not seeing

Create a new group on the same field as group 1 & move it to the group 1 position. Split it and move all your fields from what is now group 2 into group 1 header/footers

delete group 2

oops, forgot: check new page before on group header parent.

Does it work now?

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just check 'New Page After' on the Group Footer. This should work.

-Abhilash

Former Member
0 Kudos

LOL     yep, What Abhilash said...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Abhilash Kumar wrote:

Just check 'New Page After' on the Group Footer. This should work.

-Abhilash

Sorry, that was one of the first things I tried and, no, it does not work.  As I said, I can get a new page on each group breakpoint; the problem is that only part of the group header prints on the "new" page as shown in the images posted earlier.  Again: gh1c and gh1d print on the "new" page, but gh1a and gh1b do not.

All four header sections (gh1a, gh1b, gh1c, & gh1d) print on "normal" (non-group breakpoint) pages.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Does the the group footer print? if it does not, you will not get a new page.

So in that case you must use new page before on the group header.

Did you create the new group and delete the old one?

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Could you attach the report with saved data please?

-Abhilash

jyothirmayee_s
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Sometime solutions speak other words when implementing it.

Just a suggesion.

Can you suppress all the groups and reassign as suggested by Abhilash/Debi. Check Group by group then it will be easy to resolve the issue. This way you know where exactly is going wrong.

Thanks,

Jothi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Debi Herbert wrote:

Does the the group footer print? if it does not, you will not get a new page.

So in that case you must use new page before on the group header

Debi - I DO get a new page at the appropriate places (on group value change).  My problem is that only gh1c and gh1d print on the new page; gh1a and gh1b do not.  Please refer to the images I posted earlier: page 4 - a "new" page - is missing the bulk of the group header info as you can see.  The same thing happens on each "new" page (a page break caused by a change in the group value) in the report.  All the other pages print with the full headers.

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Strange, Groups cannot disappear just like that.

Do you have a suppression formula on the Group Headers that do not show up?

Well, could you attach the report?

-Abhilash