cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Services result as a .txt file

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am trying to output the results of a JOB in data services to a .txt tab delimited file. Is there a way to wrie out at a .txt file. The job is currently outputting as a template table and would like for it to be txt instead

Please help,

Travis

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello.

I'm doing the same task but I need to save the file in two different locations, the same file but 2 servers.

Is it possible to use the same template?

CuriousKK
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Victor,

Yes, you can use the same template. Data Services will create another instance of the template and will create the file as per the parameters (name, location etc..) you have provided for that instance.

Thanks

Kiran Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response.

I tried to copy the file template and paste it in the same workflow but I don't see any other instance.

Can you give me more details on how to do it? thanks in advance.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think I found the way to do it.

Drag and Drop and then modify the new instance as you said.

Some times the basic is the last option you look for, I thought it was goint to be more complicated.

Thanks!!

CuriousKK
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Yes, you just have to drag drop the same template and select "Use as Target". Then change the respective details for each instance separately.

Again, you can default certain details at the template itself, so that you dont have to change every time you use the file format.

Thanks,

Kiran Kumar

0 Kudos

Hi Kiran,

I'm getting the error  like "cannot create the file..check the folder and permissions".

What permission does it require as I'm manually able to access that folder and able to create the text file in that folder as well.

Regards,

Ankit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ankit,

This is because of access issue. You have to create text file in the folder where Job server can access. In my company they gave a shared location where I can create the file and access.

CuriousKK
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Ankit,

I assume, you are trying to use the shared location that is on a different server, other than where your Data Services is installed.

Couple of things you can check:

1. Check your network path, that is supplied to the job (input or output file path)

2. Make sure, the Data Services system user (i.e user under which account the Data Services processes run at OS level) has Read-Write/Full Access control to the folder/network location. This might need to be done by Windows Admin team (usually).

3. Make sure, the network path is not too long.

Hope this helps!!

Thanks,

Kiran Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

- Double click the Template Table

- Right click on the output schema name (e.g.Query1) and select "Create File Format". It will open up a file format editor

- Give all the right parameters & options and the path where you want the file to be stored

- Save the file format and drag the newly created file format to the design area and connect the in-flow.

- The file gets created automatically once you run the job for the first time.

Thanks,

Kiran Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Right click the output schema and select flat file format editor at the bottom. This will open a flat file editor where you can define the name, location and other details. Once the job is run, automatically a flat file is created on to the directory/path defined.

Arun

vnovozhilov
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Travis.

Yes, it is possible. Create a flat file format and use it as a target.

Designer Guide: http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/boexir4/en/sbo401_ds_designer_en.pdf (6.2 File format editor).

Could you have any questions please let me know.

Thank you,

Viacheslav.

abhi2636
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Travis!

You just save an empty .txt file on desktop or anywhere you wanna store it. And then import that .txt file in the format object as a flatfile(similar to that of flat file source) and Then use it as a Target in your job. Select the Tab delimiter while you import the file. Ensure the schema definition contains same no. of fields as you needed in the target.