Hello Solman Experts!
We have just applied support package stack 5 to our Solution Manager 7.10 system. When I try to do a managed system configuration through tcode solman_setup, it is failing at the Software Prerequsites Check phase. It thinks that the component SAP-JEE is at the wrong support package stack level:
SAP-JEE does not fulfill the prerequisites (installed: 7.02 SP0000,expected: 7.02 SP001)
This is incorrect information. Here is the actual information from the component information:
sap.com SAP-JEE 7.02 SP10 (1000.7.02.10.4.20120328083350)
It seems that it is not reading the field correctly. I have applied all notes as recommended in the central note for SPS 5 (Note 1652693).
I checked the 'WEBADMIN' TCP/IP RFC and it is successful. I ran the System Preparation part of tcode SOLMAN_SETUP yesterday, so that is working fine.
I have attached the component information from the ABAP and Java stack below. This didn't fail when we were on sp4.
Any ideas greatly appreciated.
I am having same issues, but instead SAP-JEE, I am having these:
|SAP_BASIS does not fulfill the prerequisites (installed: 702 SP0009, expected: 702 SP0010)|
|SAP_BW does not fulfill the prerequisites (installed: 702 SP0009, expected: 702 SP0010)|
|BI_CONT does not fulfill the prerequisites (installed: 706 SP0002, expected: 706 SP0003)|
|SAP_BS_FND does not fulfill the prerequisites (installed: 702 SP0007, expected: 702 SP0008)|
|SOCO does not fulfill the prerequisites (installed: 101 SP0001, expected: 101 SP0002)|
|ST-ICO does not fulfill the prerequisites (installed: 150_700 SP0031, expected: 150_700 SP0032)|
please don't suggest to update SP to expected level (not so obvious, pls).
your case is differ from the above, in the first case, SAP-JEE is the system (Technical system )name.
Though it has needed software , still system gives this error,
But your case, may i know do you already have sap_basis to SP10 or SP09.
if you have 10, after that also system shows such error then your case is same s above, else it is known that you have to update as expected.
For your case, please check your landscape version details in SLD, whether it gets the latest values updated.
If so please execute the landscape verification tool,, check those space the new value updated?
check in service market place more specific as notes related to wrong software component version in LMDB,
We found the fix:
it looks like the LMDB is not correctly sync with SLD.
Start Landscape Browser and search for technical system
Select technical system
Here is the technical system editor
Select Technical system XXXon (your server name) in the Navigation Tree and press Resync From SLD.
You will have to select the SLD – only one configured.
Press OK – the resync Job should run and display result.
At this point the system is updated in memory – switching again to the Software display view should give the result.
The SAP J2EE Engine 7.02 is now SP Level 10 Patch Level 4.
At this point you have to save the definition into LMDB.
PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO SAVE at the end of the procedure.