Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.unv to .unx

former_member719672
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We are planning to migrate from BOXI R3.1 to BI 4.0. I have heard that extension of Universe in BI 4.0 is .unx. Following are my question realted:

1- Which tool needs to be used to migrate Universe and reports from BOXI R3.1 to BI 4.0? Will it be Import Wizard?

2- If the extension of the Universe will change from .unv to .unx than all the webi reports will get manually pointed to this .unx Universe?

3- If it will not get manually pointed to .unx than do we need to manually repoint all the reports to .unx?

Please help me with the above answers.

Many thanks

Regards,
Deepak

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1- Which tool needs to be used to migrate Universe and reports from BOXI R3.1 to BI 4.0? Will it be Import Wizard?

You need to use Upgrade Management Tool, please see Platfrom Upgrade guide at http://help.sap.com

2- If the extension of the Universe will change from .unv to .unx than all the webi reports will get manually pointed to this .unx Universe?

Extension does not change.
SAP BI4.0 has a new universe type with extension UNX, all the original (UNV) universes do not change and work the same and migrate as unv files. All webi reports still point to the same universes.

3- If it will not get manually pointed to .unx than do we need to manually repoint all the reports to .unx?

You do not need to do any of this. All your original webi reports and original universes will work just the same.

You can start experimenting with new universe tools and format and create new webi reports based on new universes if you want.

But you do not have to.

former_member719672
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Denis,

Thanks for you valuable and helpful answer.

I got this doubt while I was reading a document wherein the below point was mentione:

"UNV file stays and a new UNX file is created. All associated reports (Webi and Crystal) are still pointing to the UNV file. Reports need to be manually moved to UNX file."

If you can understand anything what above line is trying to say, can you please help me with it?

Regards,

Deepak

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

A little context would help

As is the line is probably from UNV to UNX conversion piece. Which is totaly optional.

You can convert UNV's into UNX's , but you do not have to.

When you convert UNV to UNX, the UNV file remains and all reports still point to it. If you want reports to point to UNX, you'll have to manualy re-point them.

But again - you do not need to do any of this.

former_member719672
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you very much!!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is there automation available(Macro) to do this manual work. It will be night mare to point thousands of reports.

Regards,

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

there is no automation available. it is possible to create SDK scripts to repoint reports.

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

However, if the universe objects do not have the same internal IDs in both the .unv and the .unx, just changing the universe won't work as you'll have to map the two (I've run into this issue....)

Also, the RESTful Web Services SDK provides the functionality to change the universe of the individual data providers in a Webi report as well as getting the information you would need to re-map any objects that don't match.

-Dell

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is there a sample sdk code available ?

Thanks

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

my company like to switch to the new UVX format and we want to re-point the reports to the new format.

What is the best way to do this with the lowest time-consuming?

Regards,

Jan