cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BW Development System Refresh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are planning to refresh our BW Development system.

As per SAP note 886102 -

Scenario B3: You want to copy a single BW system of the group; the source system is not copied. You want to refresh an existing non-productive BW system by copying the source-system-independent objects from the productive BW system [PRD to NPS, refresh].

Step 2.3: Delete source-system-assignments in the target BW system before the
copy

In the target BW system to be overwritten, delete all SAP source systems in the Administrator Workbench / Data Warehousing Workbench (RSA1). DO NOT delete the myself system!

This step is necessary to delete all source-system-dependent objects from the source system (the objects of the old source system connection would interfere with the new source system connection, which will be created after the copy).

Can someone please explain the significance of step 2.3 suggested in the SAP note?

Thanks,

Briston.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Briston,

The source system definitions needs to be deleted at the newly copied system side, after the system refresh operation. If you don't, the BI system will extract the data from the data sources.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Orkun,

This point is refering to deletion of the source system assignmens prior to the actual system copy. Infact its even before Phase 3: Preparations in Source (Original) Environment.

I am trying to find out if we can omit Step 2.3: Delete source-system-assignments in the target BW system before the copy.

As the system copy will replace the source assignemens in target system after the copy.

Thanks,

Briston

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Briston,

The note says that you need to delete source system assignments at the test BW system, not at the productive BW. Please note that with this scenario, you are copying only BW components to the target into the already existing SAP BW system. So, you shouldn't omit this step.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Orkun,

Thanks for the response. As you suggested I went ahead and deleted the source system defination from the target (non-productive system) as suggested.

Pardon my ignorance on this, I am doing this for the first time and just wanted to get clarification on one doubt.

BW production points to ECC production.

BW non prod points to ECC non prod.

The SAP note says

2.3: Delete source-system-assignments in the target BW system before the copy

So my question is, when we do a system copy from BW prod and restore it to BW non prod, wont the source system defination in BW non prod get automatically replaced with the ones from BW prod?

Thanks,

Briston

Former Member
0 Kudos

They will replace but check the statement, below in the note;

>> the objects of the old source system connection would interfere with the new source system connection, which will be created after the copy

So, in order to avoid the potential problems, drop these connections.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Orkun,

I get it now. I overlooked that statement. Thanks for pointing out.

Regards

Briston

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I'm not sure to understand what's the point of the step 2.3:

"Delete source-system-assignments in the target BW system before the copy via transaction RSA1. DO NOT delete the myself system!

This step is necessary to delete all source-system-dependent objects from the source system (the objects of the old source system connection would interfere with the new source system connection, which will be created after the copy)."

is it supposed to clean up the BW target system (test BW system) or the source system (R/3) which provides the data to the test BW system?

Because when you do a copy from production BW system to test BW system everything is overwritten, included the existing connections defined in the test BW system, right?

Thanks for your explanations

Jacques

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jacques,

Scenario B3: You want to copy a single BW system of the group; the source system is not copied. You want to refresh an existing non-productive BW system by copying the source-system-independent objects from the productive BW system [PRD to NPS, refresh].

Your BW system will get overritten but your source system will remain unchanged.

This step will clean up redundant entries from the source system while you delete them from the target BW system.

So basically you are removing any source system dependant assignments before you do the system copy as they could pottentially interfere with the BDLS.

Thanks,

Briston

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thx Briston, I got it

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

please can someone reply to this thread

Thanks,
Ranjith

ge_zhang3
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi all,

all the scenarios described in the sap note 886102 have been automated, even more!

Please look at:

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-54097

Best regards,

Ge