cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Report 8 and SQL Server 2008 R2

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

Our VB 6 application uses Crystal Report 8 for reports. After upgrading SQL Server 2000 database to SQL Server 2008 R2, reports stopped working. The error message it displays is "Cannot open SQL Server". The ODBC that is used to connect to the database shows successful test connection. And I am also able to preview the report from Segate Crystal Reports application.

Any ideas will be highly appreciable.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Bhoj

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hello,

CR 8 does not support SQL 2008, Microsoft does not support MDAC to connect to SQL 2008, they do but it's limited functionality.

We never added support for SQL 2008 until CR XI R2 ( 11.5 ) Service Pack 3. Requires CR to DB drvivers and Designer to recognize the new Client dll. ( Microsoft change the name of it )

Only option is to go back to SQL 2000 or upgrade to CR 2008 or CR 2011.

Requires you to install the SQL Native 10 Client on your PC's also.

Don

And moved your post to the Legacy SDK forum.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Many thanks for your response. But I am not sure, CR 2008 or CR 2011 works with VB6.

0 Kudos

Sorry should have been clearer.... No, you would have to upgrade your Visual Studio Also, VS 6 does not support .NET and the RDC is no longer shipped as of CR 2008. We actually warned everyone 5+ years ago in Crystal Reports 9 the RDC was being deprecated. It was the same time MS told everyone they were dropping COM so we did, but they bent to presure and they added COM support again. By the time that as announced though we had too much invested in .NET to revert back...

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Don,

Once again, thank you so much for your help.

What I understood from your answer is CR 2008 does not contain RDC for Visual Basic 6. That means that I cannot access CRPEAuto  as below

Dim CrReport As CRPEAuto.Report

in VB 6 application. Am I right?

Our VB6 application is fairly complex and big. It also contains few assemblies that directly communicates with hardware. So upgrading the whole application to .Net is not a simple task.

If there is no way we can use VB6, CR 2008 and SQL Server2008 R2 together then we are in deep trouble. Taking the circumstances in consideration, we have to find an alternate way to use CR so that it can access SQL Server 2008 R2. If VB6 is not suitable, we might need to move our reporting section to .Net.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos

Wow.. CPAut hasn't been supported for 12 or so years.... It was a wrapper around crpe32.dll which we stopped supporting in CR 9.

Lots of history since then and third party reasons why we stopped supporting Native WIN32 calls and moved to .NET.

Unfortunately this is maybe your only option, and all of your reports will need to be updated to CR 2008, new database drivers and they were renamed so that can cause problems also, you could write a simple app to update them but it may require each one to be manually verified.

There is one possible relatively quick fix though, until you do upgrade to .NET, still requires updating all of the reports and some relatively minor changes to the CR part of your app....

Call Sales and get Crystal Reports XI R2A and install Service Pack 4 and then SP 6. SP 6 will then give you support for MS SQL 2008. R2 is no longer supported, it's end of life, but it's relatively easy to convert from CPAut to the RDC. i don't have the link but if you search our Kbase system there was a doc on how to convert which will make things easier and for now.

To get your core DEV team working on migrating to .NET here are the samples that should help, USE RAS samples. Also recommended to upgrade to Visual Studio 2010 and then use CR for VS 2010. You can get it from the Overview tab on this page: http://scn.sap.com/community/crystal-reports-for-visual-studio . It has the most API functionality relative to CPAut, not all but close, or with work arounds and we are more with each SP:

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/BOBJ/Crystal+Reports+SDK+Sample+Applications

One final note: The version you do have is not side by side compatable with current versions, we added that feature in CR 9 and above, so install R2 or 2008 or CR for VS 2010 on a new PC that does not ahve any other version of CR runtime installed.

Thanks again

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

Thank you so much again for the detailed explanation and sorry to bother you again.

I found ambiguity regarding R2 on your post, so want to verify with you that Crystal Reports XI R2A SP6

1. supports MS SQL Server 2008 R2

2. and ships with RDC for VB6 which can be use to replace CRPEAuto

Regards

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Don is on vacation, but I can help with that:

1. supports MS SQL Server 2008 R2

- Yes.

2. and ships with RDC for VB6 which can be use to replace CRPEAuto

- Yes

And I believe this is the link to the article re. converting from crpeauto to RDC:

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-21908

Good Luck,

- Ludek

Follow us on Twitter

Got Enhancement ideas? Try the SAP Idea Place

Share Your Knowledge in SCN Topic Spaces

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you so much Ludek. That is exactly what I wanted.

Regards,

Bhoj Raj Dhakal

Answers (0)