cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOw Xcelsius works with WebI

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello

i am trying to create the dashboard with Xcelsius using WebI report as data source, the WebI report is refreshed every month, my goal is when WebI report refreshed, the dashboard will be refreshed as well

how can i do to get this done?

thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Cleo,

You would need to use LiveOffice to insert the WebI report into Excel and then use the Excel workbook as the source.  If you are using BI 4.0 w/ SP4 you also now connect direct to the UNX from Dashboard.

Issues to worry about:
- The Dashboard will refresh automatically when the WebI report refreshes

- You will need to create connection on Xcelsius to BOE and insert the refresh button.

- The users will need to need to refresh the dashboard manually.

We have been asking for scheduling for Dashboards for a long time and hope to get this feature on BI 4.0 with SP5, coming Nov 2012.

Regards,

Ajay Gupta

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Follow the below Steps.

1. Open Xcelsius 2008.

In this, there is an Excel sheet opened by default. This Excel sheet is used to upload and mapping components with the dashboard data. Click the Live Office tab in this sheet.

2. Click the Live Office Tab. Go to Application Options.

3. In Options, there are three tabs: General, View and Enterprise respectively. Click the Enterprise tab.

4. Check Use specified logon criteria. Fill the required logon details along with Web Services URL and System Name. The highlighted WEBSERVER in Web Services URL is name of the Web Server required to create the connection. The information about this server is usually given by the administrator.

As the Web Intelligence report is the source for Xcelsius dashboard, so all the fields needed to display in the dashboard should already be added in the Web Intelligence report. In the Live Office tab, on the left hand side, there are three icons: Crystal Reports, Web Intelligence and Universe Query.5. Click the Web Intelligence tab.

After the Live Office connection is created with the Web Intelligence server, all the Web Intelligence reports can now be accessed. These are available in InfoView folders to load data into the Xcelsius Excel sheet. In the snapshot above, a Web Intelligence report has already been created. This is the source for the Xcelsius dashboard. By selecting this report, the entire data of the Web Intelligence report needed to insert in the dashboard can be accessed.

6. After selecting the Web Intelligence report, click Next.

7. Click Finish to load the Web Intelligence Report data into Xcelsius dashboard Excel sheet.

8. Go to Data > Connections.

In Connections, there are two tabs, Definition and Usage.

9. Click the Definition tab.

a) Name: The name of the connection is given.

b) Session URL: The path of the Web Intelligence server is given which is used to connect to the Web Intelligence report.

10. Click the Usage tab.

Choose the Appropriate option you need.

Click Close to exit this tab.

11. Click the Object Properties tab.

There are two tabs in Object Properties, General and Refresh.

a) Click the General tab to view information about the object or objects and modify properties such as report location and object name.

b) Click the Refresh tab to view and modify refresh options for the selected object or objects.

12. Click OK.

13. Design the Xcelsius dashboard as per the data retrieved from the Web Intelligence report.

Thanks,

Kirthi

Former Member
0 Kudos

as my goal is the exported PDF/HTML dashboard will be posted to the intranet, once source data refreshed, this PDF file will be changed as well, so the end user will see updated data,

i tried to convert excel to XML and use XML connection, and it works

i will keep trying to integrate dashboard in BO and schedule it in BO

thanks every one, i will keep you posted

Former Member
0 Kudos

when you get report from webi to xcelsius  go through live office .after that u get an options based on refresh like refresh when source refreshed  like such options .then your scenario will going to be work

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Follow the below Steps.

1. Open Xcelsius 2008.

In this, there is an Excel sheet opened by default. This Excel sheet is used to upload and mapping components with the dashboard data. Click the Live Office tab in this sheet.

2. Click the Live Office Tab. Go to Application Options.

3. In Options, there are three tabs: General, View and Enterprise respectively. Click the Enterprise tab.

4. Check Use specified logon criteria. Fill the required logon details along with Web Services URL and System Name. The highlighted WEBSERVER in Web Services URL is name of the Web Server required to create the connection. The information about this server is usually given by the administrator.

As the Web Intelligence report is the source for Xcelsius dashboard, so all the fields needed to display in the dashboard should already be added in the Web Intelligence report. In the Live Office tab, on the left hand side, there are three icons: Crystal Reports, Web Intelligence and Universe Query.5. Click the Web Intelligence tab.

After the Live Office connection is created with the Web Intelligence server, all the Web Intelligence reports can now be accessed. These are available in InfoView folders to load data into the Xcelsius Excel sheet. In the snapshot above, a Web Intelligence report has already been created. This is the source for the Xcelsius dashboard. By selecting this report, the entire data of the Web Intelligence report needed to insert in the dashboard can be accessed.

6. After selecting the Web Intelligence report, click Next.

7. Click Finish to load the Web Intelligence Report data into Xcelsius dashboard Excel sheet.

8. Go to Data > Connections.

In Connections, there are two tabs, Definition and Usage.

9. Click the Definition tab.

a) Name: The name of the connection is given.

b) Session URL: The path of the Web Intelligence server is given which is used to connect to the Web Intelligence report.

10. Click the Usage tab.

Choose the Appropriate option you need.

Click Close to exit this tab.

11. Click the Object Properties tab.

There are two tabs in Object Properties, General and Refresh.

a) Click the General tab to view information about the object or objects and modify properties such as report location and object name.

b) Click the Refresh tab to view and modify refresh options for the selected object or objects.

12. Click OK.

13. Design the Xcelsius dashboard as per the data retrieved from the Web Intelligence report.

Thanks,
Kirthi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Cleo, there's different suggestions on this page. LiveOffice and BI Services are two different methods to do the same thing.

I wouldn't bother with LiveOffice. There's a comparison of the different connection methods here:

http://blog.davidg.com.au/2011/04/live-office-vs-qaaws-vs-bi-services.html

There's an overview of the connections from Xcelsius down to the data source here:

http://blog.davidg.com.au/2012/08/a-beginners-guide-to-bi-services.html

Hope that helps.

former_member188911
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

this set of tutorials should also help http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-7946

many of these are new features in BI4.0 but there are info also for XI3.1

nikhil_joy2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

regarding these two solutions, my question is

1. where i can find Add-on "Live Office"? I am using BOE 3.1 SP3, i googled it, someone said it would be available with BOE 3.1 SP2, but i could not find it under the folder "Collaterals\Add-Ons"

2. is Web Service a component or a licensed?

thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Cleo,

Live office is plug-in which sits with-in MS Excel.

Browse this location: -

http://service.sap.com/support

"Software Downloads" --> "SAP BusinessObjects Downloads"

"A-Z Index" -->

Installations and Upgrades - E" SBOP BI platform (former SBOP Enterprise)" BOBJ ENTERPRISE XI 3.1

Look for Live office package, download it and install it.

2)

For WebService, it is a component and part of client installation.

You can use tool "Query As a Web Service" to create Web Service and use them in Xcelsius.

Thanks,

Vivek

nikhil_joy2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Cleo,

Using live office you will get your data in MS office tools. You will have to install live office separately.

Regarding web service from webi, you have the option to create web service from webi block and you can consume the WSDL url in xcelsius as shown in the link which i have sent.

For creating dashboard from webi report, you can use either of the methods. Live office or BI Web service.

Regards,

Nikhil Joy

Former Member
0 Kudos

when i highlight the webi block and right click button, it does not have option "publish to web service", shouldn't this component be installed from server?

former_member188911
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can publish BI services from the Rich Client only

Former Member
0 Kudos

I had installed live office in my computer, but when i tried to universe query in Excel, it asks me to login to BO server, one is Web Service URL, i check with our BO admin, they told me we dont install the web service in the server side

should Web Service be installed or be enabled from the server side?

thanks

former_member188911
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Cleo,

web services must be deployed on the server side, if they are not deployed or not enabled there is no way you can use them, so you must find another way to consume the reports = personal data provider

THanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello Simone

thank you for your help

i tried to type "http://servername:8080/dswsbobje/services/session", and saw some information like "

session

Hi there, this is an AXIS service!

Perhaps there will be a form for invoking the service here...

"

does this mean Web Service is deployed in the server side?

thanks

former_member184594
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Cleo,

You publish the block as a web service first. Then go to Xcelsius, import the WSDL you just published in WebI. In the Input section of Data Manager in Xcelsius, there is a parameter called getFromLatestDocumentInstance, set this parameter to "1."  When the report is scheduled, the web service will bring the data coming from the instance of the report not from the actual report.