cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports truncating varchar(max)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Using CR 2008 Version 12.3.0.601.  Told it to check for updates and it says there are none.

We are connecting to SQL Server 2008R2 with a view and or table that has varchar(max) field.

In Crystal Reports it shows as a memo field.

We can put it in the report and set it to unlimited growth and it appears to show up on the report, but it truncates it.  I took the contents and found that it truncates at about 63,762 characters.

So it seems to me there is a real issue with CR handling varchar(max) or even text fields, because I also tried casting as text, where it simply cannot handle but so many characters... maybe a 64kb limit.

Could someone confirm this is a real limitation of CR and is there any way around this?

What we ended up doing is creating two varchar(max) fields and splitting up the text, but that is a heck of a way to have to get this printed out.

Thanks,

Greg

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Greg,

Yes, this is still an issue.

CR cannot handle fields over 65534 characters or 64kb.

This has been reported to the Product Group under ID ADAPT00000086.

Unfortunately, the only way to get around this is to split the fields, just like the way you're doing it.

- Abhilash

Follow us on Twitter

Got Enhancement ideas? Try the SAP Idea Place

Share Your Knowledge in SCN Topic Spaces

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is what I was afraid of.  Based on the following statement from SAP knowledge base article I found it doesn't sound like it has any priority:

The issue is by design in current Crystal Report Versions, and may be considered in future versions of SAP BusinessObjects. 

Greg

Answers (0)