cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports 2011 - How do I disable configured printer settings for a report?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Our Crystal reports are running into performance issues, and we've been advised to disable/remove unnecessary configured printers associated with the report.  Supposedly, loading the print settings can slow down the loading of a report, particularly when there are remote printers configured.

My question is, how do I disable certain configured printers for an individual report?  I know of the "No Printer" checkbox in the Page Setup, but I'm guessing that isn't what is being referred to.  Any ideas?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

The issue where CR was searching for the printers across all of your Domains was resolved in Service Pack 2 I believe, so if you are not on SP 2 then upgrade to SP 5.

Likely the issue is in your Reports you have some or all of the Verify Database options checked on, they are on by default and should only be used when designing the reports. Before publishing/using in production, check all of the Verify options off.

CR is trying to connect to the original data sources, typically there is a 1 minute timeout by the DB client if the connection fails.

I don't recommend using the No Printer Option, CR defaults the margins and other parts to your default printers settings, better to design the reports against specific and supported printers than no printer at all.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Don,

Where are these verify database options?

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

Go to File -> Option ->  Database

Uncheck the option "Verify on first refresh" and "Automatic Smart Linking".

These two option many a times cause such kind of performance issues.

- Kuldeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

Don/Kuldeep,

Aren't those options only going to apply when any report is run within Crystal itself?  The performance issues are occurring in Crystal Reports viewer in a third party piece of software (the third party made the suggestion of removing printer configurations).  Are the database options associated with a specific report, or is it a general setting that affects any report in the Crystal environment?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Does anyone have any answers for my questions in the post above?  Thanks.

Rafaee_Mustafa
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is no other settings than which u have seen in File

0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

Maybe what you should do is post what your results are how you determined performance is a Crystal Reports issue?

Where are you seeing the performance hits? Opening, initial refresh of the report, or when refreshing the report, saving to disk....

It may be your performance issues are not CR related, could be network or DB server performance or simply not enough hard drive space and Windows Swap file is where the delay is...

Please give details so we can stop guessing where the problem is and give you valid things to try/test/compare or to post to some other Forum for your Hardware and software. Could even be your AV software is scanning all data going your network card....

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Don,

I'm not asking anyone to guess what the problem is.  I'm merely looking for clarification regarding the database settings.  It sounds like no one here is aware of any report-specific printer settings in Crystal other than the "No Printer" checkbox, but someone suggested that database settings could be a problem ("Verify on first refresh" and "Automatic Smart Linking").  I'm just wondering if those database settings are report-specific such that performance could be affected when that specific report is generated in third-party software.

I'm only responsible for the report file itself.  If the problem is network/server related, it isn't my responsibility.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

Thank you, that does put the question in scope. I suggest you ask the third party software people to debug the issue. If they have a support contract they can get a rep to help them debug the issue and find out where the delay is...

Thanks again

Don

Rafaee_Mustafa
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is the check "No Printer" and also do verify Save Report with Data should also not checked

Regards,

Rafaee M