cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is meant by ASN and importance of ASN

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi gurus,

Please let me know What is meant by ASN and importance of ASN.

Venkat

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

<b>ASN is an acronym for Advance Shipping notification</b>. ASN is an electronic transaction through EDI. One can pay when shipment is received by referencing the order number/shipment number on these notices instead of receiving an invoice. <u><i>ASN are generally/universally accepted to be generated at time of shipment</i></u>, in rare cases before the shipment to give the receiver enough time if the shipment time is very short like the Fedex Hub across the street. The receiver may use it for receiving to reconcile invoices, they may use it for dock preparation, dispatch trucks among others and <u>speeding up payment</u>.

<b>ASN should not be confused with the Packing List</b>. A packing list is a subset of what a ASN contains or used for, as one is supposed to see an ASN before the physical shipment. In case the business requirement is about receiving everything and scan in the packing list after verifying it physically it should match the ASN.

Though these days documents/definition is used/interpreted by different people and in different industries for different reasons.

Regards,

Gauravjit

Reward points if the explaination is helpful

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

ASN means Advanced shipping Notification.

To have an idea go through this

<u>http://www8.sap.com/businessmaps/1D59B26B277611D5B359000102ACA9A3.htm</u>

<u>http://www.sap.com/solutions/business-suite/scm/pdf/BWP_FID_SAP_Inventory_collaboration.pdf</u>

Mohan

Award points if it helps

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Venkat,

ASN, like written here earlier, means Advance shipping notice.

Lets say you are a manufacturer and someone Orders stuff from you. You are going to satisfy that Order.

lets say you are going to send this on the 29th of Feb, so you send out an ASN to them before that, telling them to expect the delivery and how its going to come in etc.

In fact this is very important to some customers , they even fine you if they do not get an ASN, ( EDI 856).

Message was edited by:

Sandeep Bhavsar