cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Process Orchestration BPM versus IDS Scheer ARIS

Former Member
0 Kudos

I attended a SAP Forum session last week about Process Orchestration 7.31. From what I understand, SAP have re-packaged PI as a component of Process Orchestration and have included their BPM engine.

I have also been looking at ARIS for SAP which looks like it has similar functionality to the BPM engine in PO.

Does anyone have any insights into the advantages of one product over the other, and why would you implement ARIS rather than use the features that are new in PO?

Our company would be looking to use a BPMN product to model business processes as part of our development process. In addition, we would also want to use the BPM features within PO to replace the Integration Processes that we are using in XI 3.0.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Jocelyn_Dart
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Greg,

Ok well this is a bit of an apples and oranges question.

The ARIS for SAP provides BPMN formatted models - but not execution. These models can be synchronized with Solution Manager. These are usually the higher level, business-focussed models that may or may not have any execution related to them.

SAP NetWeaver Process Orchestration (including SAP NetWeaver BPM) provides model-to-execution using BPMN diagrams.  That is you can create a BPMN model and actually implement it as an executable process.

This is more aimed at the low level model that is actually executable.

Solution Manager 7.1 has an additional component Enhanced Business Blueprinting which can import/export BPMN model information to SAP NetWeaver BPM - although this is early days so if there is specific functionality you are looking for you need to check the functions in detail.

Certainly we would replace XI 3.0 ccBPM processes with BPM Processes in SAP NetWeaver Process Orchestration 7.3 EHP1.

So I think SAP NetWeaver Process Orchestration is what you want based on your brief description above.  But just wanted to clarify that the ARIS side is model only - so at this stage ARIS for SAP and SAP NetWeaver BPM are aimed at different use cases.

Hope that helps,

Jocelyn

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Jocelyn.

We will use PO to replace the ccBPM component from XI 3.0.

Is it also worth implementing ARIS to enable IT and business users to model and define business processes? Or given that we will have PO could we have processes that are used for modelling purposes only and never get executed?

Jocelyn_Dart
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Greg,

Great to hear your decision.

And I can confirm that I would NOT use Process Orchestration for modelling purposes only at this stage. 

You could but there wouldn't be a lot of point - e.g. no option to publish just the model to a website.  

It all depends what you want to do with your process.. how you want to use them, share them, publish them etc. 

Solution Manager Enhanced Business Blueprinting maybe. But yes ARIS would still be a good a tool for that sort of process if you have already been considering it. 

Hope that helps,

Jocelyn

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jocelyn already mentioned very strong points about ARIS being only a modelling tool and PRO (we should call it PRO instead of PO) is capable of entire modelling to execution process.

I would like to add here that ARIS is a popular tool for Business Process modelling and it is being used by non-SAP users as well. Therefore in the area of modelling, the number of experienced resource you could find for ARIS will be more than PRO BPM. This is also the reason for SAP to provid synchronization option in Solution Manager.

Regards,

Prateek Raj Srivastava

Answers (0)