cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requirements for Migrating Data with BODS (3) to SAP HANA (Rev. 35)???

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

I would like to migrate data from an Oracle-DB to SAP HANA with BO Data Services.

We are running an BODS-Server (unfortunately no V4) on Unix. The Oracle-DB is already configured and ETL-Jobs based on Oracle are running.

Now my question:

What are the steps I have to do to execute ETL-Jobs to migrate data from Oracle to HANA?

Install HANA Studio on Unix-Server with BODS-Installation? Only Driver-Installation and -Configuration?

Where can I find the needed Software???

I would be grateful for any support!!!

Greetz

Christoph

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

rama_shankar3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Christoph:

The HANA studio is installed in your client PC not in the server.

On your scenario: if the data replication is going to be on-going, then you need to configure BODS 4.0 with proper licensing. However, if this data migration is going to be a one-time deal, then creating flat files and using scripts to load is a good option. Depending on the no.of of support staffs you have, the flat file solution can be a permanent solution as well.

Hope this helps.

Regads,

Rama

tomas-krojzl
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Christoph,

first - just to be sure we understand each other - when you mean you want to migrate data from Oracle to SAP HANA - are we speaking about replication, correct? You need to move this data on regular basis to keep SAP HANA in sync with Oracle, right?

Because if we are speaking about migration - meaning to replace Oracle with SAP HANA (particularly for BW) - then you cannot use BO Data Services.

In case you need to replicate the data then you need BO Data Services server, there you need to install SAP HANA client, make some configurations, create some users in SAP HANA and grant privileges and then you can start doing the replication.

But first before all I would suggest to read SAP HANA Master Guide - page 20 - chapter 2.3 ETL-Based Replication:

Required Software Components - This replication method requires the following main components:

• SAP HANA database
  • SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise
  • BusinessObjects Enterprise Central Management Server (CMS), which is a part of SAP
  • BusinessObjects Enterprise
  • SAP BusinessObjects Data Services XI 4.0

So I would guess that you will need to have newer version BO Data services...

Tomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tomas,

I want to move data from a Non-Hana-DB to SAP HANA! No Replication.

I just want to move data from one DB (Oracle, MS SQL, DB2, ...) to another (HANA).

So just a simple ETL-Workflow.

Christoph

tomas-krojzl
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

as I wrote above - you will probably need to get BO Data Services 4.0 to make this...

In case you do not need to make regular replication (you do not need to run this move on regular basis) and we are not speaking about BW on HANA conversion... then you might also consider doing export in CSV file and then reimporting the data in SAP HANA (of course this is having some limitations but you will not need to buy BO Data Services 4.0).

Tomas

0 Kudos

Hi Christopher,

I have loaded data into SAP HANA (revision 35 on AWS) using Data Services 3.1 installed (both client and job server) on my laptop (windows 7). This is not recommonded but I had to load some data quickly for the POC purposes so took this route.

(1) You need to install SAP HANA client software on server and client machine

(2) In DS Desginer, Datastore tab create new datastore and select datastore type = ODBC

(3) Click on ODBC admin  and Set up ODBC connection to SAP HANA server using HDBODBC** driver ( you only need to provide server:port information)

(4) Once step 3 is done, select Data Source = ODBC name that you've created in step 3

(5) provided HANA User and password and click Apply and OK

At this point DS is connected to SAP HANA. One thing to remember, create SAP HANA schema name with all upper cases because DS 3.1 dosn't allow to use quotes for the table names.

Vimal Shah

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nobody here who can tell me what i have to do to write data via bods to hana????

Need help......... Please.....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christoph,

You will find this info here in section 4.1 in http://help.sap.com/hana/hana1_model_en.pdf

High level steps to connect BODS 4.0 to HANA and create a job in DS that would create table in HANA & load data into it from a flat file . You just need to change the flat file source to Oracle DB table source to fit into your requirements I suppose.

1. Install SAP HANA client (download for free from the SAP service market place) in both the BODS server and client machines

2.  Create ODBC connections using HANA in both machines

3. On System DSN tab, click on Add and select HDBODBC. Give a suitable name and description

4. In the Data Services Designer, create a new project area.

5. In the Datastore tab, right click and create a new Datastore, select the datastore type as Database and Database Type as HANA

6. In the Formats tab, create a new flat file format. You can select the folder and file  for the DS to automatically create the structure for you

7. Create a job from the job tab, add a new data flow into from it the tool bar. Double-click on the data flow to go into it;

8. Within the data flow page, switch back to the File Format tab and drag the flat file format created in step

9. From the toolbar, add a template table as target and assign it to the HANA datastore created in step 5 and the specific scheme owner

10. In the job tab, right click on the job created in step 7 and assign it to the project area created in step 4

11. In the project area tab, under the new project area, the job will now appear. Right click on the job and execute. When the log says ended successfully, in the datastore tab, check if a new table template has been created under the HANA datastore.

12. Also check in HANA studio under the specific schema if the table has been created with data from the flat file

Thanks,

Anooj

Former Member
0 Kudos

One thing I forgot to mention in my earlier post was the configuration within the HANA studio. You need to click on the Configure Import Server and enter the details there:

BODS server address

BODS Repository Name

& ODBC datasource name that you created

default port is usually 8080

Also, depending on what OS your BODS client & server are running, the way you create the ODBC connection might differ slightly - if you do a quick search in SCN, you will find info on that.

Thanks,

Anooj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anooj,

first of all thanks for your help.

But i have got some other questions:

1) I am working with BODS 3. Can I still follow the steps?

2) From the DB-Adminstrator I have received an JDBC-URL like jdbc:sap://SERVERNAME:30015?reconnect=true. How do I configure the JDBC-Driver?

3) Do I really need to install Hana Client on the Jobserver (UNIX) and on my PC (Win XP)???

Is it possible that you provid me a link to the hana clients (unix and win) in the market place???

Greetz

Christoph

Former Member
0 Kudos

1) I am working with BODS 3. Can I still follow the steps?

- As far as i know, only Data services 4.0 can connect to HANA. Worth checking other threads in this forum or SAP Notes in SMP on this.

2) From the DB-Adminstrator I have received an JDBC-URL like jdbc:sap://SERVERNAME:30015?

reconnect=true. How do I configure the JDBC-Driver?

- Again as far as I know, you have to use the ODBC connection to BODS from HANA. The ODBC connection can be created after you have installed the HANA client (which has the relevant ODBC drivers)

3) Do I really need to install Hana Client on the Jobserver (UNIX) and on my PC (Win XP)???

- Yes you need to install the HANA client to get the ODBC driver for HANA and this needs to be installed on the machines that run your data services server as well as the data services designer.

You can download the HANA client files from the Service Market Place https://websmp209.sap-ag.de/swdc

SWDC -> Installation & Upgrades -> Browse Download Catalog -> In-memory (HANA)

Thanks,

Anooj