cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NWDS 7.3 Install

0 Kudos

Hello,

I get this message when NWDS 7.3 comes up during Install on Win7 32 bit. SAP does not recognize Oracle JVM. Does anyone know if SAP has a solution for this other than installing SAP JVM?

Thanks,

Mani

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a strange problem with one of the machines I use at a client site - even though the correct JDK is installed NWDS displays the "Unsupported JVM" message every time it starts up.  I simply press OK and then Cancel when it displays the file browser window to find a JDK and it works fine.

Just seems to be one of the many "features" of NWDS

Gareth.

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

Jun is right (I awarded points for you) 😉

NWDS supports only

- 32bit JDK (even if your OS is 64bit),

- JRE is not supported.

Gareth, are you sure your JDK really meets both of the above requirements?

You can look up in the SapNetweaverDeveloperStudio.ini file which JDK is used (to be on the safe side). This file is located in the eclipse's root folder.

Eventually you can provide here a link from where you have downloaded and which JDK.

Best Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ervin,

Oh yes - absolutely positive.  The same downloaded install file works on numerous other machines at the same client and every now and then (maybe 1 day in 100) works fine on this particular machine.  It just seems to be a very odd issue, since we updated the version of NWDS to support increased SP's on the servers.  The same JDK had been working fine with previous versions of NWDS and no amount of un-installing, changing preferences, .ini files, etc seems to make it work any more.

As I mentioned though, the only problem for me is having to click OK and then Cancel each time I start NWDS - once I've done that it works fine, so obviously the JDK I'm using is supported, NWDS just gets confused!

Gareth.

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Gareth,

could you please show me the content of the SapNetweaverDeveloperStudio.ini of the problematic NWDS installation?

Thanks and Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ervin,

Unfortunately not - I'm no longer on the client site (at least not for the foreseeable future anyway.)

Thanks,

Gareth.

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

I can see just now on the very first screenshot that actually JDK1.7 has been sepcified, which is definetely not supported for this NWDS release, and I believe this is causing the sideeffect you face.

nwds 640/700 uses jdk1.4.2

nwds 710       uses jdk1.5

nwds 720/730 uses jdk1.6

Cheers,

Ervin

0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for your responses. Sorry for my delayed response. SAP has released two more patches after I created this message. I downloaded and tried to install NWDS 7.3 SP7 Patch 6.

As per Jun Wu's suggestion, I added the variables below: (I did have the JDK installed before and it was picking the JRE path)

I set the JAVA_HOME environment variable to

JAVA_HOME = "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_06" and added it in the PATH as

PATH=....;%JAVA_HOME%\bin

I was still getting the error message below:

As per Ervin  Szolke's suggestion, I installed Oracle jdk1.6.0_35 and changed the JAVA_HOME and PATH variables accordingly. I'm not getting the error message anymore.

What is strange is that SAP states -- in the URL below and the error message above -- that the pre-req for NWDS 7.3 is Oracle/Sun JDK 1.6.0_7 or higher:

https://nwds.sap.com/swdc/downloads/updates/netweaver/nwds/nw/730/doc/prerequisites.html. Yet, NWDS 7.3 does not work with Oracle JDK 1.7.0_06.

Thanks,

Mani

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Mani,

I think I can explain this too.

When the message says that "1.6.0_7 or higher" it means 1.6.0_8,  1.6.0_9, 1.6.0_10, etc, 1.6.0_N, 1.6.0_N+1.

It does not mean the major release when it mentions higher.

Definetely not the major release because we simply don't support it from NWDS 7.3's point of view.

Best Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

I know exactly what you're talking about! this issue is happening to me right now, driving me mad.

Ill post my INI file

-startup

plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.0.201.R35x_v20090715.jar

-nl

en

-vmargs

-Xmx512m

-Xms128m

-XX:PermSize=32m

-XX:MaxPermSize=384m

-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8

-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.6

-XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError

the JVM 6 file was extracted via sapcar in the parent directory and I also edited preferences via NWDS -> Window -> Preference menu to point to the JVM folder.

I also went to Environment Variables andcreated/adjusted the JAVA_HOME and "PATH" variables to point to C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.7.0 install.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Found my own solution - apparently you have to install the SAP JVM 6.1 -> Windows Server on IA32 32bit with the 32-bit version of NWDS regardless of your processor type or system bit.  Also Oracle supplied v1.7.x.x versions WILL NOT WORK, which is why mine wouldn't work even though it met the requirements of being above 1.6.x.x -- simply installing IA32 Windows Server (even though I am on a workstation) fixed the issue.

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

I also had a customer in an SAP ticket where we had the same issue. Was that you?

anyway, this is also described at:

https://nwds.sap.com/swdc/downloads/updates/netweaver/nwds/nw/731/doc/prerequisites.html

NWDS 731 is allowed to be used only with SAPVM6, see also the download link of this JDK on the above link.

The sentence on this page

"You need JDK version 1.6.0_7 or higher, 32-bit."

means that you can take any 1.6.0 or higher where higher means 1.6.0_8,9,10, etc, it does not mean JDK1.7 is allowed.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ervin,

Thanks for the reply, I was a little afraid that resurrecting this thread would of caused very few people to actually look at it (even though I am experiencing the problem in the current).

In any event, I actually got resolve yesterday through an OSS Incidient - it appears that even though my workstation architecture is not IA64 bit I needed to install and utiilze the SAP JDK VM6 version (SAPJVM6_59-10006996.SAR) once I installed that and pointed the -VM switch to utilize the javaw.exe (and other files) it worked without error.

Appreciate your follow-up! Thanks!

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you need to specify the JDK location, not the JRE.