Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Permanent file creation

Robert_Russell
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction maybe a newbie question (again) but interested in any suggestions to the following question.

I have deployed an open source spatial application called geoserver to the trial NetWeaver cloud. This application uses a "data" folder on the operating system to store persistent data.

The geoserver WAR file download contains the  "data" folder, this folder is used by the application while in use. I can control the location of this directory via a setting in the web.xml and it can be either a full/relative path

<context-param>

<param-name>GEOSERVER_DATA_DIR</param-name

Is it possible to have a folder/directory which would survive reboot/restart of the server?

I found this thread which mentions the document service and a work folder, both of which appear not to resolve my issue.

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3216757

Also the answer to this question was a temporary directory, which sounds like it will not work as I would like.

As I am experimenting with some frontend changes for my trial application, every time I deploy these changes I may lose some formatting.

E.g. currently some of the formats look like this, a tip of the hat to Gordon Du who did lead the way with SCN points before Jive came along.

If I change some settings on the next reboot this may look different.

Follow this link for an interactive demo, if you click on a country you will see some old SDN business cards *which must live on somewhere out there

Cheers

Robert

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Vlado
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Robert,

There are two types of persistent storage in SAP NetWeaver Cloud:

- Persistence Service for storing data in a relational database

- Document Service for storing unstructured or semi-structured data (files, documents) in a content repository

There is no persistent folder/directory that survives restart of the server, you have to use one of the above.

What kind of data does the app read/store in that folder? Probably it could be tweaked to work with the Document Service storage?

Cheers,

--Vlado

PS: Was glad to see my name after clicking on Bulgaria

Robert_Russell
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vlado,

Thought that was the case after reading the documentation. Was hoping for an easier answer in the time I have left with the NetWeaver Cloud trial. There may well be alternatives as I do load a shapefile from my dropbox share in another configuration, but the performance is not a good as local data.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and I am happy to hear from a top contributor from Bulgaria!

Cheers

Robert

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

matt_steiner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As Vlado rightly said the document service would be the recommended way to store (versioned) documents. Storing BLOBs in the DB may be also an appropriate solution.

Please note that there is a related thread talking about temp. file storage here:

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3216757