cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

physical inventory for consignment stocks

Former Member
0 Kudos

i was not able to do physical inventory for consignment stocks so i thought maybe its becos i maintained the same storage location for both consignments stocks and own stock.how do i go about this.should i create another storage location for consignment stocks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

doing a phyisical inventory for some thousand materials in MI01 does not make any sense, this would just be a work-creation-program

the usual transaction to create inventory documents for more than one material is via sessions in your inventory menu. Here you can find MIK1 to create inventory documents without needing to enter any material yourself like in MI01.

The storage location shall usually represent a physical location, any logical consultant defined location will just overburdon the warehouse worker and does not help them in their physical activities.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi jurgen,

in a nutshell are you saying we should create another storage location for consignments stock so that it would be much easier for the warehouse workers.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Without having seen the location and whats in it myself I cannot do any recommendation.

if your consignment material is stored next to a standard material, then I would not see a need why this place should be another storage location.

if you have tenth of thousands of materials, then I cannot imagine how this is managable in just one storage location without having warehouse managment in place.

How does a worker know  where to look for material xyz, is in right next to the door or in the corner opposite to the entrance?

I know it is possible to create some hundred storage locations to segregate on physical warehouse. so the storage location becomes mainly the meaning of a bin.

if that is done in your case, then it should be pretty clear where your consignment stocks are. and you do not need extra storage locations, just because it contains consignment stocks.

However, if you segregate your warehouse according to criterias such as consignment, blocked stock, quarantine, unrestricted use....

Many options are possible. the definition shall be made together with the warehouse manager.

Usually you the organisation is long in place before you come and implement SAP, so you mainly adopt the organisation as is. Except the organisation is such weak that you have to re-structure to warehouse. but even then it shall be discussed with the warehouse manager -maybe even some warehosue workers - as not all good consultant ideas can be physically adopted.

Former Member
0 Kudos

In the initial screen you will have to choose the Special Stock Indicator "K" in the MI01 transaction. Inside the document, you will have to enter for which vendor's consignment stock you are basically going to do count for. This is not material specific but document specific meaning you can do inventory for only 1 vendor at a time in a Plant and Sloc combination.

Refer to the following documentation:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_470/helpdata/en/4d/2b8e2343ad11d189410000e829fbbd/content.htm

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_46c/helpdata/en/4d/2b8fdb43ad11d189410000e829fbbd/content.htm

/Manoj

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks manoj but can i create another storage location for consignment stocks cos we have tenths of thousand of materials

Former Member
0 Kudos

Remember the fact that the consignment stocks are not managed under the storage location but managed as special stock with Vendor's stock in MMBE, so creating a new storage for consigmgnment is of not much use here. The storage location field is required in PI document because when the differences are posted, the system will post the difference by considering the fact that the quantities are withdrawn or excess quantity is found. In case if quantity is withdrawn you will be liable to pay the vendor so in that case the system will post a consumption document for the storage location. This is the reason why this is required.

Former Member
0 Kudos

so u saying this is the reason why a new storage location is required or what does that your last sentence 'this is the reason why this is required' implies

Former Member
0 Kudos

It implies that the storage location is required for posting consumption of the consignment stocks so that the vendor can be paid later refering that material document. It doesn't necessarily have to be a dedicated storage location for consignment stock. It can be a generic one as well, but thats upto the business requirement. If a dedicated storage is required for consignment alone then you can go ahead and have one created for this.

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks manoj