Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Information design tool

former_member293102
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

In the information design tool, Im unable to get in list the .cns OLAP connection created for SAP BI when creating data foundation. Can anybody help me ?

Im on SP SAPKW70106 for BI.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member184594
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You are trying to create this type of connection in Local Projects window. You should create it in "Repository Resources" window under "Connections" folder. See the picture below:

former_member293102
Participant
0 Kudos

HI Zahid,

Yea, I managed it....thanks !

You had mentioned :

"When BW data to be combined with different kinds of data sources with small amounts like master data tables."

You mean you can select multiple connections in above screen rite ??

Based on your experience, how much as the performace bettered in BICS type direct usage of BEx against old .unv universes ? Can we do a document level reporting in quick time. Which BI version/support pack ownwards BICS connection to BO 4.0 is supported ?

I have posted another question on architecture level, can you throw some light on that  ?

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3246051

Very grateful for sharing your experience.

Regards,

Mihir

former_member184594
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

At the screen, you just sent, you can select multiple databases and BW info providers.

If you are working with large data sets, that will be problem. You might need to take extra steps to increase performance. You'll need to size your Adaptive Processing Server in BO environment to achieve better performance.

On the other hand, BICS connection is much faster because you are eliminating middle layers like MDX. Actually, right now this is the best way to create reports on top of BW. This type of connection works best with BO SP4 Patch 4.

If you are trying to combine data from other sources as well, I would recommend you extract all data to either BW or some other data warehouse and build reports on top of it. This would be the best approach.

former_member293102
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Zahid !

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member184594
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mihir,

If you are connecting to Bex, you cannot create data foundation and as a result OLAP universe on top of Bex or BW cubes in Information Design Tool. It just not possible. That's the reason you cannot see OLAP connection when you are trying to create data foundation.

The reason is that, if you are connecting to Bex, you do not need universes any more. There is a new type of connections called BICS. You just create BICS connection in either CMC or Information Design Tool and then use it in WebI. WebI connects to Bex queries directly through BICS and the universe gets created on the fly.

If you want to create OLAP universe, then you can go old way using Universe Design Tool.

Please check the link below.

http://scn.sap.com/community/businessobjects-web-intelligence/blog/2012/07/19/bics-vs-bapi-vs-df-rel...

former_member293102
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Zahid,

Thanks for your response, What if I need to join this BI connection with other relational connections in data foundation ? Whats the best way, use data federator ?

former_member184594
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mihir,

If you want to join your BW cube to other data sources, then you have to use Federated BW universe. If you are asking how to do it please check the link below:

http://scn.sap.com/community/businessobjects-web-intelligence/blog/2012/07/19/bics-vs-bapi-vs-df-rel...

But be aware that, you might have performance issues if you are joining table containing big data. That might cause a problem because you will be eliminating OLAP engine of BW. The best practice should be to extract the data you are thinking to join with BW cube to BW itself and create a report or universe on top of that.

former_member293102
Participant
0 Kudos

HI Zahid,

This is very good link which gives cystal clear explanation. One thing you mentioned

"

BusinessObjects Explorer still does not support BICS or OLAP universes and needs UNX type of universes to connect BW.
"

I unterstand BusinessObjects Explorer does not support .unv universe as you mentioned. But UNX is created by publishing business layer in BICS only rite ? Cant it consume this UNX ?

Regards,

Mihir

former_member184594
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You need to create UNX universe to use BO Explorer. However, with BICS connection, you cannot create data foundation in IDT.

If you want to create UNX universe on top of BW then you have go with Data Federated universe. Unfortunately, that's the only option you have with this. I am with you on this and SAP needs to improve and support Bex connection for BusinessObjects Explorer. That really sucks.

former_member293102
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Zahid,

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

I cant see SAP Net Weaver BW in my IDT (only HANA and MAXDB is there). Any idea how I can set that up ? Any document or link ?

PS : This screen shot is from your pdf.

Regards,

Mihir

rama_shankar3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please refer to:  SAP Note 1690334 and follow instructions. Hope this helps. Regards, Rama