cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't activate UWL Real Time Refresh in 7.3

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm trying to enable the UWL Real Time Refresh in our 7.3 portal and I can't seem to get it to happen.

I have checked all the prerequisites and everything seems to be in place. We have the SUWL_NOTIF package in the backend, the Destinations and RFC's are all setup as per  note 1133821. I have the "Refresh Completed Items" turned on and I have tried different values between 5 and 20 in "Refresh Period for Completed Items (in Seconds):".

The items are refreshed when the user first logs into the UWL however after completing an item it takes approximately 5 minutes before the list is refreshed and the completed item removed.

I have been playing around with different values and I have found a number of places that seem to affect the timings.

There are two settings that seem to prevent Real Time Refresh from ever happening.

1 - In the personalization of the UWL there is a setting "Page Refresh Rate:  "

2 - In the UWL Configuration there is a setting under "Optional Universal Worklist Service Configuration" called "Default Cache Validity Period, in Minutes:"

The Page Refresh Rate cannot take a value less than 1 minute and I have seen posts that suggest never to make the Cache Validation Period to less than 5 minutes as it will cause performance problems.

The closest I have come to Real Time Refresh is to Make the Page Refresh = 1 minute and the Cache Validation Period = 0.

Then after completing a task in the UWL it refreshes after 1 minute. But this is not Real-Time!

Am I missing something? How can Real Time Refresh ever be achieved if the page can only be refreshed every minute?

Can anyone advise what the correct settings are for these fields. The SAP Help is hopeless as it states that you should enter a value of GREATER than 20 in the "Refresh Period for Completed Items (in Seconds)", but if you try to enter a value > 20 you get an error that states you need to enter a number between 5 and 20. There must be a reason why this field is being ignored in my setup.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

andrewrankin
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Richard,

This may not offer anything more than what you already know, but below is my take on the UWL settings in regards to refresh rates. We also went through a 7.3 upgrade recently so I spent some time trying to figure it out. I hope it helps anyway.

To clarify: Everything below is all in reference to what happens when a user has the uwl open on their screen and is just sitting there watching. If they actually process a work item from the uwl, or if they click the refresh button then it will refresh the UWL view at that time, and completed work items may not disappear (because they are cached) but they can’t be processed twice. Therefore the topic is fairly unimportant except for the people who may regularly process work items and keep the uwl open on their screen, waiting for things to appear or disappear automatically.

1.  New parameters in 7.3:

The term “Real-time update” for the uwl is deceiving. It is really limited to the real time update of completed work items only. It doesn’t refer to a real-time refresh of the entire inbox for new work items.

Refresh Completed Items:

This is the definition in sap help: (http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70ehp3/helpdata/en/4b/a2d8d534212d1be10000000a42189c/content.htm
also see:  http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw73/helpdata/de/76/2d95eaaa9a4476be6e54695aa76f91/content.htm)

“Real Time Refresh (RTR) mechanism of UWL enables automatic update of the UWL task and alerts list. Thus, when items are set to status Complete, they are removed from the New and In Progress view in the UWL. You can configure UWL to refresh its tasks and alerts list at time period different that the minimum 20 second period. The user does not need to use the refresh function to update the inbox.”

If you process a work item in the uwl, it will either disappear immediately or at least become invalid for further processing from the “New and in progress tasks” – this is true even without the new setting. However if you switch the view to “Completed tasks”, then without the setting the completed item won’t appear until the next cache refresh. Whereas with the setting, it appears in the “Completed tasks” immediately. Big deal!

Backend Setting:

The OSS note 1286915 is also important in relation to completed work items (this is not mentioned in the doco)

“To activate the function in the back-end system, call transaction SWPA and select the 'Create Workitem Events for UWL' setting. After you do this, the workflow runtime system creates work item events when you exit or logically delete a dialog work item. The UWL can then use these events to update the worklists of the user.”

The relevance of this is that often work items can be cancelled or reserved by another user in the background. By turning on this option in the backend configuration, every time a dialog work item changes, the uwl will be notified. Providing you have also turned on the "Refresh Completed Items" option, it will pick up those work items and operate as described above. (but see notes below regarding how the view refresh works!)

Retrieve custom attributes using Primary Pull

This is a separate option for retrieving custom attributes that might be put into a custom uwl view – it doesn’t really have anything to do with the completed items setting above but maybe it is supposed to be part of the concept of real-time refresh?

(http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw73/helpdata/de/32/3680bcbef34a408d49503529f413cb/content.htm)

2. Existing influences on the UWL refresh

Refresh parameter in the view:(https://help.sap.com/javadocs/nwce/ce71/uw/com/sap/netweaver/bc/uwl/doc-files/uwldtd.html#View)

The uwl portal iview nominates a default view that controls a lot of the display elements. In this case Here is a configured a custom view with the following definition:

<View name="MyDefaultView"selectionMode="SINGLESELECT" width="98%"
supportedItemTypes="uwl.task" columnOrder="subject, isEscalated,creatorId, createdDate, priority, attachmentCount, dueDate, status" sortby="priority:descend,dueDate:ascend, createdDate:descend" tableDesign="STANDARD"visibleRowCount="10" headerVisible="no"
queryRange="undefined"ableNavigationFooterVisible="yes"tableNavigationType="CUSTOMNAV"

refresh="300"actionRef="" dueDateSevere="86400000" dueDateWarning="259200000"
emphasizedItems="new" displayOnlyDefinedAttributes="yes"dynamicCreationAllowed="yes" actionPosition="bottom"referenceBundle="tasks">

The refresh parameter in the view defaults to 300 secs. This means that if you do nothing, then absolutely nothing will happen while the uwl is sitting there open until the next refresh in 5 minutes. The new "real time" parameters do not change this!

When I change the view refresh parameter to 20 secs, as hoped it does refresh what you see every 20 secs, and if a change has occurred to a work item such that it has completed, this will be reflected in the uwl by invalidating the work item.

Key point is that view refresh parameter is most important because until you refresh the view, nothing else happens anyway.

Cache validity: (http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw73/helpdata/de/76/4116cf6d0049cea42c9de374f5b1bc/content.htm)

The cache validity is set in the overall uwl settings and is defaulted to 5 minutes. This setting is what controls the actual work items appearing in your worklist at any particular time. Any new work items will only appear in the worklist when both the cache is refreshed and the view is
refreshed. Even though the “real-time refresh of completed items” does invalidate a completed work item sooner (ie. Prevents ability to execute it) if it is detected, the work item doesn’t actually disappear from the worklist completely until the next cache refresh. Although it is possible to turn off the cache, there are warnings that this could cause a performance problem.

Delta Pull: (http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw73/helpdata/de/4a/ee0563c8481358e10000000a42189b/content.htm)

The help says:

“Delta Pull mechanism of UWL enables new items to be fetched from the back end SAP systems every minute by default every 60 seconds. You can configure UWL to refresh its task and alerts lists at time periods different than the minimum 60 second period. The user does not need to use the refresh function to update the inbox. Once items are retrieved, timestamps are updated
for the users whose items are successfully retrieved. These retrieved items are updated in the UWL cache”

Delta pull seems to be the most efficient way to update the uwl cache for all users all at once, but we have seen various problems at customer sites in the past caused by delta pull. I would still recommend using the delta pull if we wanted the fastest and most efficient automatic and frequent refresh of the uwl cache.

Conclusion:

There is no real-time update in 7.3 for the uwl and it is a misuse of the term for SAP to call it real-time. Even if you turn on the new settings, they only refer to 2 very specific types of updates for completed work items and custom attributes in views.

If we are just talking about increasing the frequency of refreshing the uwl for a user who is sitting there watching it, then you would consider changing the parameters for the view refresh frequency and the cache refresh frequency, which are not new. Also regarding the cache refresh frequency, you may consider the delta pull to improve the way you update the cache. The new parameter for refreshing of completed items – on top of the other setting changes – could provide a small additional advantage in certain cases where work items frequently become invalid while the uwl is still open for the user.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Andrew it was very reassuring to see that you have confirmed what I suspected. There is no real-time refresh. What I wanted to see was a user process a request and that request to disappear from the "New and In Progress Tasks" tab after they process it. I too could only influence this by changing the iView refresh period and cache validity period. However I also read that you should not change these to be less than 5 minutes for performance reasons. Anyway I still have an open message with SAP to this - they have been looking at it since 02.10,2012 and today is the 10.12.2012 - they have requested I open up our system for the third time. If our suspicions are true you would have thought that they would have written what you have said and requested the message to be closed? I have been told that my message is being processed by the UWL development team and this is the last update I have from them:

"I've confirmed that the current issue is that the R/3 system do not push the completed item to the portal so that the UWL UI can be refreshed. There might be some connectivity or configuration issue, which should be fixed."

and then:

"I was able to connect to the backend and debug the issue. It turned out that the backend R/3 part of the feature is actually working and I was able to track the update of the item to the last step of the refresh, which is calling the RTMF framework to do the actual update of the UWL UI. This seems to be failing, so I'm forwarding this message for further investigation by the corresponding colleagues. You should be contacted shortly by them".

and then

"Please open an HTTP connection to your system.

in the meantime, I would like you to perform a small test in order to

see if RTMF (the auto-refresh component) works correctly on your system.Follow this post: http://scn.sap.com/blogs/RTMF/2012/11/12/how-to-test-if-your-rtmf-component-works-correctly"

I have gone through the blog and all looks OK so I will wait for them to take another look and I will update this when done.

In the meantime I still feel confused - does real-time refresh exist or not .....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Richard,

Any update on UWL refresh issue. Did you receive any fix from SAP.

Thanks

Bala

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi all,

As the answer given by andrew I too agree as there is no automtic update in 7.03 version there is some  wrong functionality in SAP itslef as the uwl is not clearing and the work items are getting cleared from the UWL after Manager approvers from UWL .....I too raised a oss note they replied me the java version base threads to refer as I am working on WDABAP 7.03 version .......any solution from experts is really appreciated...

JWALA

ESS MSS.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Simon/Richard,

Along with what you have tried and what my colleague Sharanya has suggested, have both of you tried restarting the UWLService?  There were issues when there were connector problems that the real time refresh of completed items stopped working.  You can check this also in note number: 1571856.

Please also note, that the real time refresh is only for workitems with status completed. Please let us know if you have still not been able to get this configured.

Beth Maben

EP - Senior Support Consultant II

SAP Active Global Support

Global Support Centre Ireland

**SDN Forum Moderator:

http://scn.sap.com/community/netweaver-portal/application-integration

**SDN Universal Worklist Wiki:

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/x/ehU

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the note. We are already on NW7.3 SP07 and anyway I have restarted the UWL service many times in my attempts to get this to work. I usually use a Leave Request approval as my test which should move to a completed status once approved. The customer does not wish to use the new POWL for Leave Approval at this stage and would like to stick with the UWL. The refresh in the POWL seems to work great.

Here is what I have sent to SAP in my message to them:

"We have followed the instructions to set up Real Time Refresh for the UWL

as outlined in the SAP Help:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw73/helpdata/de/76/2d95eaaa9a4476be6e54695aa76f91/frameset.htm

We meet all the Prerequisites. We have selected the "Refresh Completed Items" Checkbox in the UWL Administration and also selected values between 5 and 20 seconds in the "Refresh Period for Completed Items (in Seconds)"field. We have followed note 1286915 and selected "Create Workitem Events for UWL" in transaction SWPA. We have restarted the UWL service multiple times. Real Time Refresh has never occurred and the system is still adhering to the combination of "Cache Validity" period and iView Refresh period settings as outlined in "SAP Knowledge Article 1628778 - SRM UWL is not refreshing: completed work items are not refreshed from UWL". This means that the quickest refresh we can get is approximately 1 minute which is not real time. The 20 seconds we have entered in "Refresh Period for Completed Items (in Seconds)" is being ignored."

Their reply so far:

"Dear Customer

Thank you for contacting SAP Active Global Support.

after first analysis,we will forward this message to EP-BC-UWL to have

further check.my colleagues will contact you asap."

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would recommend you to check that you have enabled the completed items refresh on each of the connectors in the UWL.  To do this, select the connector and click edit.  You will

see the checkbox please ensure this and the use cache checkbox is clicked. 

Cheers

Sharanya Rajagopal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Richard,

We are also trying to configure this ... did you also follow this note: https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1286915

Have you raised this with SAP via OSS?

Perhaps we can work this out together!

Thanks,

Simon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Simon,

Yes, I did find that backend config (can't believe they didn't put that step in the SAP Help page)- I checked the checkbox and restarted the UWL service but it made no difference. I will raise an OSS message as I have tried everything to no avail.

Cheers

Richard

Message sent today 02.10.2012 - will update with progress.