cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to disable "database log mode'

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you please tell me how to "disable databse log mode",

In another word, how to set "Database log mode" parameter to "No Archive mode", using brtools or using sqlplus, what is the exact database parameters?

BTW, I am not talking about Automatic Archival, I am only talking about "database log mode"

thanks

Kumar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

andreas_herzog
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

logon to oracle using sqlplus (user: ora<sid>)

> sqlplus /nolog

> connect / as sysdba

> shutdown

> startup mount exclusive

> alter database noarchivelog

> alter database open

GreetZ, AH

Former Member
0 Kudos

Now can you please tell me how to enbale the Database log mode? What is the exact SQL for that?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Make sure that log_archive_start, log_archive_dest_1 and log_archive_format parameters are set in initSID.ora file

c:\ connect / as sysdba

sql> startup mount;

sql> alter database archivelog;

sql> alter database open;

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kumar try this

ARCHIVE TO NOARCHIVE MODE

Get into sqlplus as root.

Sqlplus>archive log list

or you can try this

Sqlplus> select log_mode from v$database;

It will show u whether the database is in archive or no archive.

If it’s in archive

Shutdown the database

Sqlplus>startup mount

It will mount the database.

Sqlplus>alter database noarchivelog

Sqlplus >alter database open

Sqlplus >archive log list

Shut down and restart the database and it will be in no archive log.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Switching off database archiving during an upgrade is not mandatory. In fact the upgrade tools leave you an explicit choice between upgrading with archiving enabled or disabled. With the current upgrade technology (system switch), most of the upgrade happens during system uptime anyway, which means that archiving must be on during that phase (for production systems). For the downtime part of the upgrade, it is advisable to switch archive logging off because it brings only overhead and no benefit, since you could not possibly recover to a point somewhere in the middle of the upgrade.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Remember that SAP does not provide support for Production systems in "No Archive mode"

And, as someone said:

If you run a database in "No Archive mode" you <i><b>will</b></i> lose data. Full recovery is not available any more ( except when you are lucky enough oh only needed the data in the online redo logs )

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

disabling archive mode will not make you lose data, but:

1. you will no longer be able to run online backups

2. you will no longer be able to do a recovery point-in-time

3. only offline backups will be usable for restore.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I didn't explain properly.

Running in NO archive log mode per se does not make you lose data.

But

- you can only use OFFLINE BACKUPS

- you CANNOT RECOVER the database.

Everything between the OFFLINE BACKUP and any possible CRASH will be LOST

If you have a corruption on a table, you will not be able to use the only supported method to solve the corruption --> you will lose data.

That is what I mean. It is a fact that a problem will appear ( sooner or later ) that will force you to use a backup. As mentioned before, this will imply that you lose data.

that is what I meant, sorry if it was not properly explained.

But the point is the same. If you cannot afford to lose data, do NOT run in no archive log mode. If you do it, then you will lose data sooner or later.

Regarding to your 3 points, I do not agree totally with the second.

Do you know any method to do a full recover with a DB in no archive log mode? appart from the one that needs any of the online redo logs ( rare case )

Former Member
0 Kudos

ALL,

I will turn ON the database log mode back, it was mandatory to turn it OFF at one of phase of ECC 6.0 upgrade, then on a different phase I will eventually turn it ON back....Sorry of confusion....

Thanks

Kumar

andreas_herzog
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

^^ as it is common during upgrades...so, what's all the fuss?

GreetZ, AH

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I do not know if it is common on SAP upgrades, sorry only dealing with DB issues not Upgrades.

Is this "mandatory"? Can you tell me where can I find this information?

Thanks