cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Releasing activities from NWDI ( NWDS is not showing)

Sreejith1
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

In my Development, I have created 80 activities but only 50 activities are visible in NWDS.Through NWDS I am able to release 50 only.

But when i check DTR, rest activities are there. How can I releasethose activities?

Please help. It is urgent.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

have you activated them?

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

release is only possible in NWDS. Activation, reverting activities for instance is possible via the webUIs, but release is only via NWDS and only once the activity has been activated, as also pointed out by Jun (@Jun, I mark your answer as Helpful ;-)).

Also good to know that in NWDS you can see only your own activities (I mean the given developer can see his own activities only) unless you switch the User Filter to all. So if this is not about the problem Jun pointed out (i.e. activated or not activated activities) then I suggest to check in the DTR webui who all the 80 activities and who 50 of these activites are belonging to (to which user).

Best Regards,

Ervin

Sreejith1
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Ervin. Actually those activities activated by other developer. an it was not howing. Finally found the reason. Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ervin,

Please suggest me how to revert the closed activity. In NWDS I am showing some activities which are already closed. But I need to revert these activities. Please Suggest.

Regards

Rashmita

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Rashmita,

activities which are already closed cannot be reverted.

Your only option is to create a new activity in which you get rid of the unwanted functionality, and activate that one.

Best Regards,

Ervin

todor_petrov
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ervin,

I understand the concept of the closed activity, but what I do not understand is why you cannot make a cleanup. From what I understand checked-in activities cannot be reverted/deleted or modified in any way, which means that they will stay in that state forever. Does that make sense?

BR,

Todor

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

why not making sense? it is just a  record that you have made change.

you can make correction, just make another activity.

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Todor,

I think such a feature was never implemented by intention, and it was always designed like this from the very beginning (see the date of the below discussion):

I hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Ervin

todor_petrov
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

My point is a bit different. I do not want to change how DTR works, nor its activation steps.

What I refer is the following case:

A consultant creates an activity with some changes, but since the studio by default is set to create default activities, the new activity is called - default followed by a timestamp, which is a very unfriendly naming convention. Let's say the guy is a bit distracted or new and he checks that in.

Now instead of having the possibility of changing the activity name, we actually cannot do anything about it and the only option for that activity is to activate it. Then my logical question would be - why do we need the additional activation step when we cannot do anything about the already checked in activities, but only click the button activate. It makes zero sense:)

How I see the process (and you can correct me if I am wrong) is the following:

1. Consultant syncs and checks out a resource

2. Consultant makes changes to that resource - creates an activity and adds the new content there

3. Consultant checks in without activating the activity

4. Now here we at least definitely need an additional check on the activity - either from a senior consultant or the project manager in charge later of the transport to decide whether the checked in things are ok, following the naming convetion, following the requested changes, etc. and if something is suspicious or not following the guidelines we need a way to not activate that activity, but we also do not want to drag it along our whole project and as you well know - we also cannot make a transport for a certain component if there are still not activated activities in NWDS, so my question is what now?

Thanks for sharing your insights on the topic.

BR,

Todor

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Todor,

you can influence a little how the activation and activity dialogs should behave for each developer:

--

If you make sure the dialog is always popping up, then there is a less chance that the developer is just "distracted" and not changing the name from default to some more meaningful one.

When the activity dialog is displayed there you also have a checkbox you can use to influence the behavior:

And... if I am distracted on the highway I can crash my car, right.

If you want auto activation, the preferences has an option about this too.

Regarding activities which have been already checked in are treated as closed, and

- cannot be renamed,

- deleted,

- reverted.

As discussed previously that is part of the history. If you don't need them, do not activate them.

However there are certain cases where an activity has to be activated. These are the predecessor activities, meaning when one activity depends on the other. An example: if activity A is that I am opening the door and activity B is that I am entering the room then obviously I cannot ignore A and I need to deal with it before B. If I activate B first, which is the successor of A, then first A has to be activated automatically by the system since it is a predecessor of B.

I hope this helps, and please let me know if I misunderstood your question.

Thank you and Regards,

Ervin

todor_petrov
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ervin,

okay, the principle if you don't need them do not activate them is probably fine, but what happens when you want to transport a full SCA component. CM Services won't allow you to do that if there are not activated activities in NWDS for that component.

BR,

Todor