cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RFC error while connecting BW and BODS

Prabhith
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Friends, (hope am posting this in the correct place.if not, please excuse me)

I am a novice to BW-BODS integration activities and currently am in need of help from YOU experts here in this forum.

In my current project, we have to integrate our BW system with BODS and I took the challenge of doing that. 

Before going into the details of the error, I would give you some info about the existing environment.

BODS – Version is 14.0.3.273(Also BO and BODS are installed in the same server)

BW – Version is 701 SP5

I have done the following steps till now:

a) Since we don’t have BW7.3, we created a new external source in BW.

We followed the steps : RSA1; Source systems; External system ; create ; Gave logical system and source system names ; In the next RFC destination screen ; gave a program id(say SAPBODS), Gateway host; IP address of the BODS server, Gateway service as sapgw00

b)In the BODS management console we gave the following credentials:

RFC program Id as SAPBODS (same name which was given in BW)

Username - the one which I give to log into SAP BW

PWD - the one which I give to log into SAP BW

SAP Application server name - the IP address which I got from the properties of BW server in logon pad

Client number - the number which I got from the properties of BW server in logonpad

System number - the number which I got from the properties of BW server in logonpad

SAP Gateway Hostname - the same IP which I gave for the Sap application server name

SAP Gateway service name - sapgw00 (the same name which I have given in BW earlier)

Now when I ran the above created RFC service interface in BODS ; It’s showing as STARTED.

Now when I do the connection test of the RFC destination in SM59 (which I created initially in step a),

I am getting the connection error(as below).

PS: The BODS/BO server is running on Windows platform and the BW OS is HP-UX and Oracle DB.

The basis team here is also looking into the issue. Parallely, I just want to ensure that I have not missed out any basic steps in between.

I have been searching lot of forums including this to find a solution for this but unfortunately I could not get a suitable solution. So thought of taking your help……Please let me know if some body can help me out with a suitable solution for my issue. Did I miss out any steps as am afraid am new to this integration…. 

Please excuse me if you find the same post in BO Board aswell because am deeply in need of a solution for this. 

Lot and lot of doubts are yet to come but all those pertains to the subsequent steps after making this connection successful. 

Many thanks in advance,

BR,

Prabhith

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Prabhith
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks a lot for all your replies.

We have finally found the solution for the error.

The simple summary of the error solution is when you give the credentials for creating a external source system in RSA1,better dont give the gateway host and

gateway service if you are not 100% sure about it(in simple words, keeps them blank)

The system itself will manipulate it(default gateway value) with the program id, provided you give the same(case sensitive) in both the ends(BW and BODS)

Once again thanks for all your support. Would like to close this issue here.

In case if someone faces any issue concerning this integartion, please be kind enough to let us know about the same,because we had done a lot of iterations/research before reaching this final solution and might be in a position to help you out.

BR,

Prabhith

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prabhith,

For reporting applications, need to access data from BIW system through gateway which requires users to be created both in Gateway system and BIW system. But if we don’t want to create users in the BIW system as it involves licensing cost. Then want to know how to handle this scenario.

Thanks Much,

Abhishek

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Prabhith,

We are facing the SAP BODS to BW RFC connection issues,

My Requirements Need to Extract the data from DB2 to BW using the Data services

Steps i have follwed

1. Created the RFC in SAP BW (Name like RFC Destination name: BODS_DB2,Program ID -> DB2V9.7) and registered the Program ID, and configured this Program ID in SAP BODS Console in SAP Connections with RFC servers,

After that under RSA1-> Source system->Data Services->Create new Connection i gave the RFC called BODS_DB2, after that am Trying to select the Repository there iam getting the below Error.

The following error occurred during the remote function call for destination BODS_DB2:

Error when opening an RFC connection (CPIC-CALL: ' ThSAPOCMINIT' : cmRc=2 thRc=679 Transaction program

Before i Select the Repository and Job server No RFC error in SM59.connection successfully done.

Please help me , this is really stopped my work.

Regards,

kavitha.

Prabhith
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you please log into the BODS management console and navigate to the SAP connection link.

Under that you would find your connection. Just see if its in stopped stage.

Select your connection and restart.

Lets see what happens.

Please keep me updated about the status after that.

After that we will check for further solutions to resolve ur error.

Thanks

Prabhith

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Prabhith,

I have restarted the SAP RFC server connection in SAP BODS couple time,

but still the same error is coming.

Regards,

kavitha.

Prabhith
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Just want to understand a few things here:

please log into the tcode SM59 and go to the TCP-IP and test your connection.

If possible, please share the screenshot of the connection error.

Also, please let me know wetr your BW process chain is triggering the BODS job or BODS is trigerrring the BW job.

BR

Prabhiith

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prabhith,

1. when we were created the RFC SM59 TCP-IP connection Ok without error.

2.in SAP BODS Consloe RFC server connection also ok

3.in RSA1 ->Source system->Data Services-> create -> There i was selected  the RFC, after that i was trying to select the

Repository(F4) , then we were facing the error like above.

Regards,

kavitha.

Prabhith
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

One suggestion from my side:
1) when u create a RFC connection in SM59, the main thing is Program id.
If same program id is given in BODS management console, the connection will work fine.

But there is slight difference when you create a RFC connection from RSA1 -- Source system .

Before the above step, we need to have a RFC user for BW and BODS interact to each other.
And I find from the screenshot that you have already a RFC user in place(as you have blurred the image in the place of background user in BW).
But please check the properties of that user.

Is it a system user or dialog user.
If its a system user, then no password and date validity period issues.

But if its a dialog user, double check the password and date validity period.

Br
Prabhith

Prabhith
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Your absence in the loop feels to me like tat your problem is solved.

Please let us know what was the solution, or its still existing.

Br

Prabhith

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prabhith,

Sorry for the late reply,

many thanks for your great concerns, Basis Raised a ticket to SAP and then issue solved.

Problems seems with Programid.

Regards,

kavitha

Prabhith
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Can you pls explain in detail the solution that was implemented.

As of my understanding, the Program ID is case sensitive and  the same to be given in both BODS and BW.

Do we have to take any special care other than this.

Br

Prabhith

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi friend,

I am new to BI and I need to connect the BI with Ecc, We are using Ecc 6.0, Ehp 4, SP 223, kernel 710, DB Oracle 10g 10.2.0.5, OS Win svr 2008 R2 system AMD Sr5650 as per business requirement we need to connect BW 7.3 which is on another server with Ecc. Could you please help me with detail steps how to connect.

Thank you

Rahul

RamanKorrapati
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rahul,

Seems like to new to scn.

Welcome to SCN.

There are lot documents which are related the same.

always try to search on google with similar words. you will get what you need.

Use search term " RFC connection ecc to bw" or "changing ecc source system in bw"

its basis activity, take sap basis team help.

Useful t code - WE20/21, BDLS.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please check the following link: http://t.co/e9UU1mkp

Might solve your issue...

With kind regards,

Martijn

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

There is a problem in the gateway, you need to contact your basis team for this issue.

This is very simple the gateway for BW is not opened to connect the BODS server, for checking this we need to ping the below command in the BW server telnet <hostname of BO server> 3300 if it's not listen then gateway is the problem.

Hope it will solve your problem.

Thanks

Simbhu