cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PMBOK for SAP ERP implementations?

WaldemarFal
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I am preparing the post about experiences with PMBOK rules added to SAP ERP implementations but first I’d like to ask for your experiences. My thesis is that ASAP is PMI set of best practices adopted to SAP implementations and it is fully sufficient and accurate for successful SAP implementations.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Waldemar,

I have managed projects in different situations using different situations and I would agreed with you when sate that ASAP is "PMI" set of best practices.

I think that PMI PMBoK dot not cover all areas required by a SAP implementation or by other large software implementation that engages the entire company.

When we take only PMI  book for instance it does not cover Organizational Change Management and other areas might not be enough to cover a large software implementation at least not up to the speed that an organization requires. This is where ASAP covers it all straight to the point based on real world experience from previous SAP implementations.

If OCM is well executed and aligned with Risk, Communication and Scope management the process increases the change of success.

Regards,

Marcelo

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

janmusil
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Interesting topic. Here are few points I'd like to make.

SAP adopted PMI PMBOK as the standard for SAP deployment projects few years ago. This was reinforced by training all our project managers on PMBOK, changing our methodology ASAP to fully align with PMI PMBOK framework. And lastly we have performed OPM3 assessment to confirm that ASAP is 100% compliant with best practices reflected in the PMI OPM3 framework. (note that it has been modified OPM3 assessment that focused on assessing whether organizations that fully apply ASAP would pass the OPM3 assessment with flying colors. ASAP scored 100% for the PMI PMBOK knowledge areas included in the OPM3 assessment).

We believe that PMI provides solid framework for project delivery and holistically covers all the required knowledge areas of SAP project from PM perspective. Where other ASAP work streams come into play are the 'other' knowledge areas like BPM, TSM, ISM, ALM, OCM, etc. that are not covered by PMI n the PMBOK, and are required by SAP project teams to be successful.

iraladamodara_reddy
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All

Hope we all do not discuss the less than 10 % of issues which are not covered in PMI-PMBOK.

SEE and Appreciate the positive side of 90% successful ways,methods & tips mentioned in the PMI-PMBOK.

PMI book covers with  all the best /proven PM methods for any type of projects ( it is not specifically ASAP),

any how it mostly it covered standard frame work  for  successful  of a Project either small or big.

janmusil
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

While I agree with you on the quality of the information in the PMBOK and its applicability for Project Management I need to highlight that the Project Management is only part of successful SAP implementation.

ASAP covers both the PM side (fully aligned with PMBOK) and the solution build, setup of operations, technology mgmt., change mgmt., data and other aspects of the SAP project.

I do not think we disagree here it. I wanted to make this a point of clarification.

If you take PMBOK it will tell you how to run any project regardless of industry, but will only focus on the PM side of things. If you take ASAP it will tell you how to run SAP project and will cover all of the areas listed above.

WaldemarFal
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Sure we are rather discussing how to tailor and map the PM methodologies with ASAP in effective and beneficiary way. I fully agree with Jan - that PMI and ASAP are two layers of right SAP project management, communication and execution. Where PMI is "native" for ASAP also PRINCE2 may be very effective project communication and organization layer for SAP project as I am experiencing that right now. Please look in my blog:

http://scn.sap.com/community/asap-methodology/blog/2014/03/26/prince2-for-sap-erp-implementations

Cheers

Waldek

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think along with above mentioned Risk Communication and other one important process which we dont look at in ASAP is cost and Quality management processes. Especially  we dont use much of stuff like Earned Value and others .

former_member183879
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

My experience with PMBOK has been always good even in huge SAP implementations. There may be something in ASAP which is more specific towards SAP implementation and need not be globally applicable. PMBOK covers the whole gamut of exercise the PMO should be involved in various stages of the project.

I am actually impressed with the importance of various process areas at different phases of the project. It beautifully covers the importance of planning from planning phase upto closing and execution in planning phase upto the closing phase. I have atleast seen this practice being extremely successful in real time problem resolution.

Of course, PMBOK just mentions the process areas without really being judgemental about importance of the PAs, and thats the most appreciable part of the approach. As any other methodology, it is a framework and if used properly and meticulously finetuned to the project requirements, PMBOK makes its relevance felt in SAP too.