Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zebra TrueType font download / renaming to 5-chars name

tomas_talpa
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

disclaimer: this is more Zebra related question than SAP question

Hello colleagues,

we want to use TrueType fonts on Zebra printers and since we would like to have reasonably good performance, we need to download the TrueType font to Zebra printer, i.e. to make them printer resident. At the same time, we need to have the font named with up to five characters (technical limitation on SAP side, transaction SE73).

We consulted the Zebra Solution Guide Zebra Printers and SAP SmartForms, page 83, chapter "Download a TTF font to Zebra Flash Memory". Here the option of "Convert > Unbound TT" within Zebra ZTools utility is mentioned -- however, we cannot locate the  Zebra ZTools utility for download anywhere on Zebra's web site; it seems that they do not support this tool anymore(?). We have raised a question to Zebra Software Support, but so far they are playing opossum.

Yes it is Zebra specific question, but it seems that any SAP consultant who wants to use TTF fonts on Zebras must hit the same roadblock. So I would like to ask you whether you have any experience with this issue.

Kind Regards

TomT

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

tomas_talpa
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Oops, almost six months after opening this thread, I only now realized that I have forgot to update it with proper solution: so, even if ZTools is not available anymore, the task of renaming TTF of on Zebra printer can be achieved by Zebra NetBridge., available for download from zebra.com.

And checking the Zebra Solution Guide Zebra Printers and SAP SmartForms, ZTools is still mentioned there. *sigh*

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

aidan_black
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tom,

I'm not sure about Zebra but you can upload the true type fonts to SAP via SE73 -> button True type font Install and sue the uploaded fonts in the form. Then the true tyoe fints are sent to the printer from SAP. See KBA 1605966 and SAP note 201307.

regards,

Aidan

tomas_talpa
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Aidan,

and that, i.e. the sending of True Type fonts from SAP to Printer, is something we need to prevent. The Output Request w/o TTF has something like 11kB, with the TTF it grows up to 2MB, and then the impact on performance is significant.

That's we need to download the TTF to Zebra (which we can do w/o any issues), and in order to map it to SAP font in SE37 we need to rename the font to 5-chars description.

Actually, in the meantime we found a workaround of copying the fonts directly in the printer via its web interface (the task then become download/copy/delete), but that seems like workaround rather like proper "industrial strength" solution.

Kind Regards

TomT