Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integration with handheld scanners

former_member538160
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear All,

Currently we are in the realization phase of one of our retail implementation. we have come across a requirement, where customer wants to receive the materials using handheld device.

i have got no  idea on how to integrate sap with handheld devices. can some one through a light on this....

options which are in my mind

1) Enabling WEBGUI, so that they can access the screens using browsers of handheld device.

2) Creating a new webdynpro application with required screens and creating the respective business document using service call...

can some one help me on this....i really got no clue on what needs to be done....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

basarozgur_kahraman
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rakesh,

In SAP you have 3 options:

1-SAP Console(deprecated and not supported by SAP)

2-Web Console(deprecated and not supported by SAP)

3-ITS Mobile

For detail:

http://scn.sap.com/people/shekhar.rane3/blog/2011/01/16/sap-mobile-data-entry-in-warehouse-managemen...

ITS Configuration: http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-15207

15 REPLIES 15

former_member538160
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Gurus,

Can some one through a light on my issue.....

Thanks,

Rakesh.

0 Kudos

Hi,

Well you could do it by developing your own application for the handheld scanner.

How I did it in the past was to develop a C# app for the handheld scanner and a Web Service as a middle-ware between SAP and the Scanner (the scanners were running on Windows platform).

If this does not work for you, then you could develop a WebDynpro or BSP or an ITS page in SAP and call it in web browser from the handheld scanner.

I prefer the first solution because you don't get stuck in browser-specific issues and usually the manufacturer offers both the classes and the documentation to build your own scanner application, so it's more manageable this way. I'm not even sure that you need the Web Service anymore with the new .Net Connector 4.0.

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Andrei

0 Kudos

Hi andrei,

Thanks for your reply....

1) Yes, as you said we can go with any 3rd party application(C or .net), which loads on hand held scanner and pass the data back to sap using bapi or web service call. this can be one option.

2) I have enabled the webgui and tried to connect to sap using webgui on intermec mobile scanner. but some how it didn't work out, we are not able to load webgui on handheld scanners. do we need to enable any extra setting to access the webgui in mobile devices. i am able to load the same(webgui) on a desktop version of internet explorer.

3) if i go with webdynpro application, do i need to follow any procedure to make the page loaded in a mobile browser. unfortunately i am not able to load webdynpro applications in any of the mobile devices. but i am able to load the same(Webdynpro application) on desktop browsers.

we have proxy enabled in our network. mobile devices which we are testing has configured with proper proxy address for accessing the web and able to load all the other links on mobile browsers except sap related web applications.

i hope i am clear enough to explain my exact problem with web gui and webdynpro applications...

0 Kudos

Hi,

I don't know/think that you can do it with the Webgui. The handheld scanners browsers might not support such a task. But as Todd said maybe an upgraded version of the browser might do the trick.

For us it worked on ITS Mobile and custom windows mobile application. Choosing between the two it depends on the requirements and your experience.

As to your issue with Webdynpro, how do you call the page? by Domain name or by IP? It is possible that the browser is not to be able to translate the Domain name to IP.

-

Andrei

0 Kudos

Hi,

I use domain name for calling the page. as you said, browser is not able to do the task of domian to ip conversion. but let me check with our network team...

I feel, ITS might be the right one in our case...

Thanks,

Rakesh.

0 Kudos

Good, let me know how it goes.

Good luck.

-

Andrei

0 Kudos

Hi Andrei After 3 year !!

I want develop a C# app for the handheld scanner and a Web Service as a middle-ware between SAP and the Scanner on windows mobile 6.1 and read / write direct to sap .. I use Sap web service on windows app() but when I create device App I cant use this  please tell me How i can do this?

0 Kudos

Hi Masoud,

Unfortunately I didn't create the Web Service in SAP back then, but I must say that I intend to test this. Back then the Web Service was created in c# aswell.

I'm working on a c# project atm, so i'll try myself in the next days to see how it works .

Were you able to reference the SAP Web Service in your C# Project ?

0 Kudos

Hello Andrei

thanks

I just read this Doc http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-38805

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Rakesh, your question is just not very clear. "Integration" is a very vague term, so is "receive the materials". An "integration" might be as simple as printing a barcode on a form and reading it with a scaner.

What are you expecting to occur in SAP specifically? Asking the right question is half of the answer...

0 Kudos

Dear Jelena,

Thanks for your reply.

i am sorry, if iam confusing and not clear....

my exact question is.

'how to do goods receipt using handheld scanners'. thats it.

i know i made it a bit complicated by writing unwanted information.

if you can help me with your suggestions and inputs, that would be great....

basarozgur_kahraman
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rakesh,

In SAP you have 3 options:

1-SAP Console(deprecated and not supported by SAP)

2-Web Console(deprecated and not supported by SAP)

3-ITS Mobile

For detail:

http://scn.sap.com/people/shekhar.rane3/blog/2011/01/16/sap-mobile-data-entry-in-warehouse-managemen...

ITS Configuration: http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-15207

0 Kudos

Hi Rakesh,

To add to Basar's post, it depends on your scanner technology.  If they are relatively new and have some version of windows mobile on them then ITSMobile is definitely the way to go. 

On the SAP side I assume you are doing GR for purchase orders.  SAP has some standard transactions designed for mobile devices (look at LM* in SE93).  I don't think there is a standard one for that though so you will have to develop it.  You can look at a similar transaction LM71 which is GR for a delivery.  Once you develop the screens and code, you create and publish the template via SE80 which will generate the HTML for your browser. 

The other thing about the scanners is that the browser is usually a stripped down version of internet explorer which means it has difficulty rendering the screens and may be the reason why it didn't work for you using WEBGUI.  You can try using the standard delivered one but i recommend you purchase a license for the Intermec browser (iBrowse I think?) and install it which allows you to configure and customize the settings so that you can get the functionality you need.

Keep in mind that you are most likely building a platform to add to later.  Once you get this transaction working they will want others and it becomes much easier if you have the right building blocks.

Regards,

Todd

0 Kudos

Hi todd,

Thanks for your reply...

I think ITS mobile might be the right option in our case. but point needs to be considered is WM is not active in our system.

as per my understanding, we may need to go with a custom screen, create GR for PO using BAPI and enable ITS mobile. convert custom screen to HTML format and access it on mobile browser. please correct me if my understanding is wrong...

Thanks,

Rakesh.

0 Kudos

Rakesh,

You are correct.  Trying to enable MIGO or MB1C would be too complicated for the small screen and for users to navigate so a custom simplified version is required.  Again, take a look at one of the standard LM* transactions as a guide for development and then create and publish the screens as templates.  Create your new service and link it to your new transaction code and then do test in standard browser.  Usually the toughest thing to get to work are the push buttons and function keys which is why you may need to install an industrial type browser.  I used PocketBrowser because we have Motorola Devices but it may work for Intermec as well.  I found it easy to configure and well documented.  It really depends on the OS on the gun though.

Good luck,

Todd