Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating the webdynpro applications from 7.0 to 7.3 EHP1

former_member192283
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Do we need to upgrade the current NWDI server from 7.0 to 7.3 EHP1 and then after upgrade we need to create new track with 7.3 dependent components and upload the code .SCA files in the new track. Please clarify the steps clearly.

I saw in lot of places in NWDI TRACK migration need to be done by creating the new track and uploading the new version related dependent files in the new track.

1)

is this new track need to be created on the same NWDI server after upgraded the system from 7.0 to 7.3 EHP1 ?

If we need to setup the new track in the same server, i guess we need to setup new track after upgrading  NWDI server version from 7.0 to 7.3 EHP1.

what is the process or steps  for upgrading the NWDI server from 7.0 to 7.3 EHP1

or

2) We need to install the new NWDI server with fresh installation of 7.3 EHP1 and create the new track by uploading the new dependent files and we need to migrate the old server code to new server.

Please advise

Thanks

vijay

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

there is no need to upgrade the engine where NWDI resides.

Only the track has to be upgraded if the runtime system release changed in the meantime.

NWDI is only a framework, so it should serve any release of development i.e. if you upgrade the SP stack of the engine where also NWDI resides (SCAs DI_*) then of course these SCAs will be updated too, but it should still work as before and should serve 700 developments as well.

What you have to consider is that the build variants have to be set up properly in case you intend to develop for both 70X and >=710.

See  my SCN Threads that are dealing with this topic:

How to deal with JDK versions

http://scn.sap.com/thread/2079515

Developing for multiple releases with NWDI

http://scn.sap.com/thread/1775010

3. Regarding migrating your WD Java development see the guide:

(it is about 710 but the procedure is valid for 730 too):

Migrating Web Dynpro Applications From SAP NetWeaver 7.0 to CE 7.1

4. Regardin Track migration refer to:

How to Migrate Developed Software Components to a New Release in NWDI

(it is an old but still vaild document)

http://scn.sap.com/people/guenter.schiele/blog/2007/02/12/how-to-migrate-developed-software-componen...

5. In this note you find which SCs to use if it is about 730 (since the architecture is different between 700 and higher releases like 73):

#1457908 Required SCs for Specific Type of Development in 7.3 Track

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Ervin

former_member192283
Participant
0 Kudos

Ervin,

Thanks for the valid reply. I am very much clear on the NWDI system usage of it. Still i have queries related to NWDI system .

1) As you mentioned, we don't have to Upgrade the NWDI server to 7.3 EHP1, But, Presently our  NWDI server version is 7.01 SP4 . My question is,  Do we need to upgraded to any latest service pack? if so what is the SP we need to upgrade to?

or

Present version of NWDI server is fine to go.

2) If we need  upgrade the NWDI system SP4 to latest or any other SP? do we need to apply  the service pack first and then we need to install jdk1.6 or any order is fine?

3) Present JDK version running in NWDI is JDK1.4.2, Also, I need to install JDK1.6  to support the new track for NW 7.3 EHP1 related developments. do i need install any thing else other than jdk1.6?

4)Based on your reply i am not clear on one point,  we have only one track , this track has 14 custom software components created. I want to migrate this track to JDK1.6, bcz we are going use only one environment 7.31 going forward.

To migrate this track,

So do i need to create another track and pointing that new track  to new jdk1.6 version

or

Do i need to modify the current track jdk version from 1.4 to 1.6( by making the changes based on the urls which you shared).

I saw one issue changing the existing track jdk version itself to 1.6, because it will impact the current application support till finish the complete upgrade of the Portal server(runtime environment from 7.01 to 7.31). Please clarify.

If i create a new track pointing to JDK1.6 version -> what are steps to be done to import the 14 SCA to new track.?

Once imported the 14 custom SCA's to new track  and installed 7.3 developer studio , i need down load the new track and and creating the each project and recompile with new jdk version i need check-in the code back to new track. Please correct me if i am wrong on this procedure which i mentioned.

I think this way i can still use the old track for supporting the production issues to modify any applications.

Once I complete the upgrade of Production Portal server to 7.31, i can uninstall the JDK1.4.2  & delete the old track which is using the JDK1.4.2 in nwdi server and will have only JDK1.6. Please let me know your opinion on my approach.

Last question?

If we want we can upgrade the current NWDI server also upgrade to 7.31 right? but our current NWDI version still have no issue to use for NW 7.31 developments.

Thanks

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Dear Guru,

1) As you mentioned, we don't have to Upgrade the NWDI server to 7.3 EHP1, But,...

no, there is no need to upgrade NWDI (you can do it, but if you don't that is fine too). See my previous posts for this.

2) If we need  upgrade...

therefore point 2 is not required to be answered I guess.

3) Present JDK version...

no, if the JDK1.6 is available on the server where NWDI resides, then only the cbs settings have to be adjusted, see my previous post "How to deal with JDK versions".

4)Based on your reply i am not clear...

I would suggest to proceed as mentioned previously "

How to Migrate Developed Software Components to a New Release in NWDI"

Especially that your dependent SCs will be different too (640/700 vs. 730). The entire architecture is different as of 710.

<I believe what you asked after point "4) Based on your reply..." is already answered in the previous points, so I don't step in here explicitly>

Last question?

For this see my answer in this post at point 1. You can upgrade NWDI too, but there is no need for it. Read "Developing for multiple releases with NWDI" from my previous post.

I hope this clarfies your questions.

Best Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ervin / Gurus,

I know this post is answered but I have a simple question regarding migration of developed components from lower version of portal to higher version of portal Link is mentioned below

Migrating Tracks Content from SAP NetWeaver 7.0 to a Higher Version -  Migrating Application Projec...

I am migrating the modified ESS / MSS components since we are upgrading portal 7.02 to Portal 7.4

The ESS component is changing from 603 version to 633 version.

One of the step is create new track with required SCs and import the developed SCs by forwarding the component archives after assembly from the old track.

On the new track, do we need to import the required SCs from upgraded JAVA portal 7.4 version + ESS 633 + Developed ESS SC version 603 ?

Or does it only need required SCs + Developed ESS SC version 603 ?

The reason I am asking is that I created a new track with required SCs + ESS 633 and when I did import check for the ESS 603, we got conflicts for all the ESS developed components.

Please throw some light on this requirement for new track.

Thanks and Regards,

Karan Shah

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

take a look at this guide:

#872892 - JDI/NWDI Cookbook for ESS/XSS

The attachment inside it, then NWDI.zip is the one you need (the other, JDI.zip is for 640).

Regards,

Ervin

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

fabianl
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos