cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to persist the messages on Adapter engine?

r_s_kulkarni11
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

I have migrated to PI 7.3 from XI 3.0

Everything is working fine but client wants to know why there is inconsistency between the Messages in IE and AE(say for a particular business service)

I researched this issue and found that inconsistency will be due to some messages are residing on the AE Channel log.In the old system of XI 3.0, the message log on communication channels is almost a week , but on new PI 7.3 system, I can find only the messages not more than one day old. Can you guys please let me know how to change the time duration for logging the messages on channel?

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

vadimklimov
Active Contributor

Hello Rahul,

If I understood you correctly, the question is how to increase retention period of messages in Adapter Engine - so that they are persisted for a longer time period and you can see messages that were processed in Messaging System older than one day ago.

Here, let's split this into two areas - retention period for asynchronous and for synchronous messages (I'm not sure which one is relevant for your scenario, so I will describe both).

Asynchronous messages. Retention period is adjusted using properties xiadapter.inbound.persistDuration.default (for inbound messages) and xiadapter.outbound.persistDuration.default (for outbound messages) of J2EE service XPI Adapter: XI (com.sap.aii.adapter.xi.svc). Values of both of them are in milliseconds, the default value is 86400000 which is exactly 24 hours. Please note that in addition to setting these properties, respective archiving and deletion jobs periodicity should be checked in Adapter Engine.

Synchronous messages. Synchronous messages are not persisted in database and are only stored in-memory of the Message Store - here total amount of stored messages matters (only last X messages are stored). Amount of synchronous messages that are kept in Message Store is regulated using property messaging.syncMessageRemover.messageCount of J2EE service XPI Service: Messaging System (com.sap.aii.af.ms.svc). Each given period of time (regulated by property messaging.syncMessageRemover.checkInterval (in minutes) of the same J2EE service), amount of syncronous messages kept in Message Store is counted and corresponding messages are cleaned out of it by the respective thread (so, speaking differently, this property specifies a sleep time for this thread). Please note here that in the time period between neighbouring checks, there can be a case when amount of synchronous messages is more than messaging.syncMessageRemover.messageCount: e.g. in case of high load or large value of messaging.syncMessageRemover.checkInterval.

Regards,

Vadim

r_s_kulkarni11
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Vadim,

Thanks for the Info. Can you tell me how to set these parameters( for asynchronous messages)?

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rahul,

For SAP PI 7.3 you can change the parameters in SAN Netweaver Administrator, check this link for your purpose: http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw73ehp1/helpdata/en/48/cafc412fbb5c97e10000000a42189d/content.htm

Regards.

vadimklimov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Rahul,

In order to change mentioned parameters, please go to NetWeaver Administrator, then navigate to Configuration -> Infrastructure -> Java System Properties. In Java System Properties, go to tab Services and navigate to the required J2EE service - after selecting the required J2EE service, in the bottom of the screen (tab Properties), you will be able to see service properties. All properties that were mentioned in my previous post are modifiable online - that means after you change their values in NWA and save changes, the new property value takes immediate effect (no need to restart J2EE instances).

Regards,

Vadim

r_s_kulkarni11
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Vadim,

Can you tell me the path for XI 3.0 also? I need to compare them with PI 7.3

I am not able to fine the infrastructure path in XI 3.0

vadimklimov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Rahul,

In XI 3.0, instead of NWA, please use J2EE Visual Administrator to access mentioned J2EE services (Server -> Services -> <Service name>) and change their properties.

Regards,

Vadim

Former Member
0 Kudos

In addition: in NW 7.31 (7.3 enhancement pack 1) sync messages can be saved to the db, and you can set retention time.

messaging.log.retainTime

Value: Days

Default: 7

Defines the number of days retaining logged synchronous messages. The parameter is only applicable for synchronous messages with active Message Logging.

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Vadim,

Stumbled on your response while figuring out synchronous message retention and wondering why my Archival / Deletion job is not handling the same! Excellent response and analysis! Thank You!

Regards

Bhavesh

vadimklimov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You are welcome, Bhavesh! Glad if that was helpful.

Regards,

Vadim

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bhavesh and Vadim,

I had this thread bookmarked . I think this analysis deserves to be in a blog.

Regards.

vadimklimov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Iñaki, thank you for such high valuation of that provided input. A blog on this topic sounds as a reasonably good idea - so probably either me or somebody else from entire PI/PO space will write it all down in a well structured and extensive way. Currently I'm a bit overloaded on ongoing projects, so didn't write much - but will definitely keep this in mind as soon as I have some time.

Regards,

Vadim

vicky20691
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vadim,

Ideally I must open a new thread. But it is kind of urgent..

Till 31st July my messages were getting persisted but since 1 aug it is showing in message monitor that message persist untill - 31/12/1969.

Why this might have happened?

vadimklimov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vikas,

Interesting case... Is it relevant for asynchronous messages, synchronous messages, or both? I would rather treat it as a bug. For synchronous logged messages, there is a correction for incorrectly calculated persist_until value (see SAP Note 2308506, if that is applicable to release / SP level of your PI system). If not, then I would suggest raising a SAP incident for this.

Regards,

Vadim

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rahul,

If you are talking about synchronous messages, as far as i know you can't establish a number of days, only a number of messages. Check this documentation:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw73ehp1/helpdata/en/48/cbb487cea80783e10000000a42189d/frameset.htm

Regards.