cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buffer Overrun detected. CRW32.exe Error in Crystal Reports XI.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have several users who have been using Crystal Reports XI R1 with no issues.  We recently completed a migration to new servers and upgraded to Oracle 11g. I have updated their connections to point to the new database server. I have them set up to use the Oracle Server connection in Crystal Reports. Users are able to run existing reports with no problems.  However, when they go to view the tables in the database or try to add new fields the buffer overrun error message is displayed.  This also occurs if the user tries to create new report.  I’ve uninstalled Oracle10g, reinstalled Oracle10g, installed Oracle 11g, and uninstalled/reinstalled Crystal Reports. 

Complete Error Message:

Buffer Overrun detected!

program .. \Business objects\Crystal Reports 11\crw32.exe"

A buffer over run has been detected which has corrputed the program's internal state. The program cannot safely continue execution and must be terminated."

S/W: Crystal XI R1

Thanks,

Beverly

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

alpha_sow
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello

Did you get ever this issue resolved, I am getting the exact same error message when I try to create a new report using CR 11.0.0.1282

Any info would be appreciated to solve this

thank you

alpha

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Alpha

Please see my post from Dec 6, 2012. Go to the link provided and update your install to CR XI R2. If that does not help, your only option will be to upgrade to CR 2008 or CR 2011.

- Ludek

Senior Support EngineerAGS Primary Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

Got Enhancement ideas? Try the SAP Idea Place

Share Your Knowledge in SCN Topic Spaces

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm currently running Crystal Reports XI R2 and am not experiencing the error message that the other users are having.  Is there any way to maybe upgrade them to R2 or is there another way to resolve this issue?

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If XI r2 does not have the problem, then that is a viable alternative.  I'm not sure about install key compatibility between r1 and r2.  If you installed r2 from a full install, you may have problems updating the other users as you'll probably need a valid install key for each in order to stay "legal".  If you installed as an upgrade from r1, then that same installation will work for these users.

-Dell

alpha_sow
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you Ludek, it's working now Ok, I did follow your steps from the docs, this below

Updating CR XI R1 install to CR XI R2A

1) Note your existing CR XI R1 keycode
2) Uninstall your current CR XI R1 product ( my version was CR 11.0.0.1282)
3) Download the Crystal Reports XI R2A SP4 Full Build
4) Download the Crystal Reports XI R2A SP6 Incremental Build
5) Install Crystal Reports XI R2A SP4 Full Build using the CR XI R1 keycode you noted in step 1 above
6) Install Crystal Reports XI R2A SP6 Incremental Build - you will not be prompted for a keycode
7) Once both of the above are installed, open the Crystal Reports Designer. In the Help menu, select About Crystal Reports... Check the version. It should be

( now my version is 11.5.12.1838)  and it's working great

Thank your help

alpha

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Best new I could have gotten to end the week

Have a great weekend

- Ludek

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I suspect that the new version of Oracle is not compatible with this version of Crystal Reports.  That would make sense because this is an older, no longer supported version of Crystal and Oracle 11g came out a number of years after this version of Crystal.

You may need to upgrade to Crystal 2008 or Crystal 2011 in order to do new report development and maintenance on the existing reports.

-Dell