cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rename SAP System ID after installation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All;

I installed ERP 6.0 ABAP stack successfuly, but now I want to change the name of the SAP System ID.

Is there a way where I can change the name of it?

Best Regards

~Amal Aloun

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ashish_mishra2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Nothing is impossible, just you need to be aware of the places where all you need to make changes.

You haven’t mentioned about the OS, if it is windows then you need to uninstall Sapservice, rename all folders, changes to profile file, changes at registry level and finally register the sapservice.

If it is AIX or Unix flavor, process will be quite easy compare to Windows OS but again almost same steps.

anyway .. making one small mistake would result to dead system, that’s why SAP never recommend that.

But yes..if you really want to do R&D, one of the best activity to do.

One more stuff, changes at DB level also would need to be performed if SAP and DB are sharing same SID.

Instead of taking all such headache ... perform exp/import.. safe, secure and easiest.

All the best ..

Cheers !!!

Ashish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Ashish;

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.

Is it ok to have two SAP systems which have the same SAP System ID on the same system landscape? these two systems have different Fully Qualified Domain name.

Best Regards

~Amal Aloun

ashish_mishra2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi, Yes.. you can do  that as well however for safer side just make sure that system numbers are different. This will help in integration with other SAP systems of landscape.

also .. if possible set different default client number for second system, to avoid  any kind of confusions with logical systems naming convention.

Cheers !!!

Ashish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Ashish;

The two sap systems have the same system instance number which is "00"

Is it correct thaat if I need to change the instance number then I should do the following:

1) example if you want to change the instance number from 00 to 02

2) Rename Folder of instance name DVEBMGS00 to DVEBMGS02 on CI.

3) in /usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/profile, rename Start profile and Instance profile.

Then open the content of renamed Start profile and seacrh 00 in all the lines and change to 02.

4) edit the instance profile and change from 00 to 02.

5) edit DEFAULT.PFL and change the instance number from 00 to 02.

My SAP system includes only ABAP stack, and the OS is windows with ORACLE Database.

Can you confirm this solution as I am planning to check it after I backup my system.

Best Regards

~Amal Aloun

ashish_mishra2
Contributor
0 Kudos

You are somewhat correct but in case of Windows … there are some additional steps like registry level changes. I am trying to summarize below.

1. Stop Complete SAP system along with SAP services i.e. SAPServiceSID.
  2. Make a note of profile file name and path using which SAP service is registered.
  3. Using command prompt, uninstall SAP service. This step will remove the Sap service entry from Windows services.
  4. Now rename the instance directory.  Rename profile files, Edit profile files and change instance number. Do not forget to change the message server port as well.
  5. Take backup of Windows registry and edit that. Find and replace the DVEBMGS<sysnr.> entry and change that value to new instance number. Make changes as much as possible and cross check the same. Even if you make any mistake no issues, as registry backup is already there.
  6. Using command prompt, Install SAP service. This step will create the Sap service entry in Windows services. While installing SapService make sure, you are using correct path (noted in step 2 above) with correct instance number START profile.
  7. Start SAP System.

Cheers !!!

Ashish Mishra

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

i will also try this sap system rename method

Regards

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

I need urgently help on this matter - is it really necessary to change the instance number ?

I my case I only want to change the SID, it's not necessary to change the instance number...

My environment is SAP SCM, Windows 2003, Oracle 10.2.0.4.

What I did so far:

- new user <NEWSID>adm with adjusted environment to the new SID

- renamed the DB and configured the oracle services and the listener (tnsping <NEWSID> works fine!)

- Made sure that R3trans -d and R3trans -x returns 0000

- Renamed the SAP instance profile to have the new SID

- Modified all the parameters within the profiles to the new SID, like SAPSYSTEMNAME, etc...

- Removed the old SAP service

- Configured a new SAP service (sapstartsrv -t)

- Copied the /usr/sap/<OLDSID> to /usr/sap/<NEWSID>

The SID in the MMC got renamed, but when I try to start the system, it doesn't come up 😞

All the WPs are dying out. No other errors in dev_disp.

In dev_w0, I can see that SAP is STILL trying to connect to the OLD <DBSID> !!!

connect / @<OLDSID>

WHY is this happening? Profiles AND environment variables have been modified to point to the new SID ONLY !!

Please answer me quickly, this is really urgent, I already have a big delay on this task...

Thanks a lot !!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amal Aloun.

You must install a new instance of SAP Netweaver and make a homogeneous system copy after that,

First do the installation of the new SAP System and the Homogeneous system copy. If you use MaxDB read this note:

Note 129352 - Homogeneous system copy with MaxDB (SAP DB).

Search for another notes if your database is different.