cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prompts on BW Compounding Objects when using BICS

Former Member
0 Kudos

All,

I have an issue where the list of values are not displayed correctly for the prompts that are built on BW Compounding objects. Lets say if I have an object called State and that is compounded with Country. In BW when I create a variable on State the way it displays the list of values is it will have two columns one for country and one for state so that you know what country does that state belong to. But when the same variable is used in webi it only displays state.

Reply's will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Correct, the list of values is only for one object. For similar restrictions, see here:

http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/boexir4/en/xi4sp5_ia_en.pdf#page=80

Taking a closer look with your example:

In BEx the list of values for state could also have the country in a different column, but after selecting a value in BEx for State, you will see only the state being inserted in the variable box, which in turn is exactly the same behaviour comparing to webi, only taking the state into account.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply Victor.

To your point, I know it inserts only state when you make a selection but when the list of values are displayed lets say if I have two states with same name and one belong to US and one belong to some other country, there is no way I can tell which one belongs to which when answering from BO.

I understand that it is a limitation but are there any alternate solutions except for adding a new attribute to the object that holds the compounded values.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Unfortunately it is not possible to enhance the list of values in webi and display the second object in parallel. For the report design you only have two solutions, either include the second object (Country) or also display the key for the main object (State) which will automatically include the id of Country.

Just some extra information:

BEx web handles this ambiguity by dynamically adjusting the key of "State" to include the key of "Country" in cases where the object "Country" is not in the result set (or to the right in case of colums). In Webi the key of "State" will always concatate with the key of "Country". 

In BEx when you select state1 and you see country1 in the list of values you could think that only values for state1 and country1 will be retrieved which does not hold true, instead all countries to state1 will be listed.

I hope I did not write too much detail, summarazing: You will have to adapt your report, no LOV enhancement possible.

Former Member
0 Kudos

In case you still have any doubts, I have created a blog explaining in detail the behavior of compounded objects: