cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CRVS 2010 - blank lines in report with paging disabled

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am working on a .Net 4.0 web application which uses Crystal Reports 13 (CRVS 2010). Actually this has been migrated from .Net 1.1 which was using Crystal Reports 11. Now one of my requirement is to generate few reports in which paging is disabled (of course when exported to PDF it does come out in multiple pages) such that the entire report content is shown in a single view on the web page (with a vertical scroll bar). Now to achieve this I set a few properties as shown below -

• Set DisplayToolbar to false on the crystal report viewer control
  • Set the SeparatePages property to false on crystal report viewer control
  • In the report (rpt file) I enabled/set Keep Together on all sections and also set Suppress Blank Section property
  • As I did not have much in page footer I set the Reserve Minimum Page footer property. I also set Clamp Page footer property

However when my report is displayed in the page, I observe blank lines in between the content (shown in the attached jpeg). A deeper look suggests that these blanks appear right at the point where I would have had the page break if I had enabled paging. This makes my report look odd on the web page. With the old application which used previous version of CR this was not the case. Is there a way wherein I can ensure that the report when displayed on the web page concatenates the content properly without any gaps considering that I disabled paging?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

GowriShanker.

P. S: Also attached is the report file with extension changed to txt.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Did any one found any solution for the issue?

Or using any service pack of crystal report resolved the issue?

I am facing the same problem.

I tested it using Crystal Reports for visual studio 2010 version 13.0.6.1027 and version 13.0.7.1136.

please let me know if its still an existing issue or have been resolved by any of the service pack?

if it has been resolved please let me know how and using which service pack?

or any workaround that can be applied to fix the issue.

Any help or guidance will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Faiz

Former Member
0 Kudos

This issue was fixed for me with 13.0.6.1027.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

According to this KBA:

1840359 - Blank lines when the SeparatePages property of the Web viewer is set to False

The issue is resolved on SP 6. So, if that did not solve your problem, I suspect we're looking at a different thing here(?). Please create a new Discussion, copy and past the description of the issue there as well as a link to this Discussion.

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

Got Enhancement ideas? Try the SAP Idea Place

Share Your Knowledge in SCN Topic Spaces

Former Member
0 Kudos

We tried using SP 6 and also SP 7,but that didnt fix our issue.We have already created a new discussion and PFB the link,

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3430888

We are using the seperatepages property of the crystal report viewer to show all the records in a single page.The seperate pages property is set to false.

We also tried with setting the Keep Together and Suprpess Blank Section property to true in .rpt file but still we are getting the same issue.Please let us know if we are missing some thing or this is an existing issue.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Colin,

We tried using both SP6 and SP7,but it didnt work,

We are using seperatePages property of the crystal report viewer to show all the records in a single page.

We also tried with setting the Keep Together and Suppress Blank Section property to true in .rpt file but still we are getting the same issue.

It would be vey helpful for us if you let us know what exactly you did to fix this issue.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gowri,

DId you ever get this figured out?

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Gowri and Colin

I've reproduced the issue with VS 2010 and CRVS2010 SP5. I have not been able to confirm how this worked in previous versions of CR / SPs, but will do that in the future. I have created a Technical Escalation so we ca star to track this for a fix: TE 5000477392

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Colin,

As suggested by Ludek, seems like an issue in CRVS 2010.

We ended up using Crystal Reports that come with VS 2008 and upgraded our application to .Net 3.5 instead. It worked when we tested it against CR 12 run time as well.

Thanks,

Gowri.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello everyone on this thread - and those sure to follow...

I have create a Technical Escalation for this issue: TE5000477392

We'll try to get this into Service Pack 6, ETA; June(?). But at this time, I can not promise anything until I hear back from R&D.

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I was experimenting with Crystal Report for VS 2008 (basic with assembly version 10.x) and I could not reproduce this issue there. Same is the case with CR 2008 (assembly version 12.x). When SeparatePages property is set to False, the report data gets concatenated and displayed without any gaps unlike CRVS 2010.

Is this a bug in CRVS 2010?

Thanks,

GowriShanker.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Let me take a look at this tomorrow. In the meantime, if you want, you could try SP5 (links in "Featured Content" (Overview).

- Ludek

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I tested this with CR4VS SP 4 and saw the issue. Updating to SP 5 resolved the issue. Were you able to test with the SP 5 as I suggested?

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

I did try with SP 5 but I still see the issue. Did you set any specific property on the report viewer control?

Thanks,

GowriShanker

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Nope. Just Set the SeparatePages property to false. Can you attach the report with saved data here? You'll have to rename it to *.txt, then attach.

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, I too had done the same but I can still see gaps (or blank lines) between the data. Attached the *.rpt file renamed as *.txt

Thanks,

GowriShanker

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I took a quick look. The report has only one page(?). So, I also downloaded SampleReport that you uploaded on Jan. 2nd, same thing.

So, I wonder if we are talking about the same thing? My report had 8 pages, when I run it, with the option set, it essentially becomes one long report that I can vertically scroll through and there are no breaks between pages.

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

Actually my report is built out of a data set which I fill at runtime. So when I preview and save a report with data from the designer, I only get a single page. This is why in one my replies above I said saved report may not help reproduce the issue.

Anyway when I run my web application I see gap or blanks in data as shown in the attached screenshots. I have 9 pages in my report. Not sure if I am missing something considering that you say it looks fine for you.

Thanks,

GowriShanker

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Unfortunately a screenshot does not help me in troubleshooting the issue. If I had the time, I'd ask you for a sample XML so I could then create an ADO .NET dataset and pass that to the report. Unfortunately, phone cases do take precedence and I have to give them priority. E.g.; I suggest that at this point you create a hone case and get help there. If this is found to be a bug, your case will be refunded. Phone cases can be obtained here:

http://store.businessobjects.com/store/bobjamer/en_US/pd/productID.98078100

- Ludek

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Only suggestion I have is to make sure you are on SP 3, not SP 4:

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-7824

I'm not  in the office and will not be able to test this for you, but perhaps somebody else will be able to do that.

- Ludek

Follow us on Twitter

Share Your Knowledge in SCN Topic Spaces

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes. I am using SP 3. In fact tried it with all versions - RTM, SP 1, SP 2, SP 3 and SP 4 but the gap or blank lines are still visible.

SP 4 of course has other issues one of which I faced was with text overlapping so I reverted back to SP 3.

Thanks,

GowriShanker

former_member188030
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Tried to test it but reort prompts for DB info. Looks like it is designed out of a dataset.

Could you please provide Saved data report. Just preview report in designer, check 'Save data with report' option and save the report.

- Bhushan

Follow us on Twitter

Getting started and moving ahead with Crystal Reports .NET applications.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhushan,

Attached the report with saved data. But I am not sure if it would help reproduce the issue as the sample data has too few rows.

Just in case, you can try dumping in the below sample code into Page_Load method/event handler of the aspx page of your ASP.Net web application project (assuming that the crystal reports viewer control is named "CrystalReportViewer1" and that the highlighted code is replaced with the path of the rpt file in the project) -

System.Data.DataSet ds = new System.Data.DataSet();

ds.Tables.Add("DataTable1");

// Add columns

for (int i = 1; i <= 5; i++)

{

ds.Tables["DataTable1"].Columns.Add("Col" + i.ToString());

}

// Add rows

for (int i = 0; i < 100; i++)

{

ds.Tables["DataTable1"].Rows.Add("Data" + i.ToString(), "Data2", "Data3", "Data4", "Data5");

}

CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument rptDoc =

new CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument();

rptDoc.Load(@"<<rpt file path>>");

rptDoc.SetDataSource(ds);

CrystalReportViewer1.ReportSource = rptDoc;

CrystalReportViewer1.DataBind();

Also note that the property "SeparatePages" of the Crystal Reports Viewer control have been set to "False" to ensure paging is disabled.

Thanks,

GowriShanker.