cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports Windows Server 2008 ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I can't connect my report and the error showed is:

ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified

But, other App in the same environment could connect withou problems. So, the Oracle Client is working fine and TNSNAMES are well configured.

In my dev machine I can connect the same database without errors. I don't know what could be different about the environment.

#######################

Dev pc

- Windows Enterprise 7 32 bits;

- SAP Crystal reports version for Visual Studio 2010 ( CRforVS_13_0_4 );

- Oracle client 11;

Server configuration is:

- Windows Server 2008 Standard SP2 64 bits;

- SAP Crystal reports runtime engine for .Net Framework 4 (64-bit) ( CRforVS_redist_install_64bit_13_0_1 );

- IIS 7.0;

- .Net Framewor 4.0 Integrated;

- Oracle Client 11;

#######################

Am I missing some driver?

Thanks,

Andrew Paes

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is an Oracle error, not a Crystal error.  On the machine where you're having the problem, try to TNSPing the database you're trying to connect to - this will identify whether the computer can "see" the database.

-Dell

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dell,

Thanks for your response.

But my oracle client is installed and my other application can access my database oracle using tnsnames. But my reports can not.

I did tnsping and everything happens right.

Maybe my client oracle is wrong to SAP.

My server is Win2008 64 bit. Do you know where can I download the driver from the oracle for this?

I looked at datadirect driver for Win2008 64 bit and not found.

I do not know what can be.

Thank you,
Andrew Paes

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Crystal Reports is 32-bit software, it will only work with the 32-bit Oracle client.  I suspect that you have the 64-bit client installed.  The other thing that happens, is that Crystal only connects through the primary Oracle Home - if you have more than one on the server and the primary one is not the Home that you need, then Crystal will not connect.

-Dell

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dell,

I have 64 oracle client installed on the server, but it is the primary client. Look at the image.

It is very difficult to uninstall the client to install the client 32 because I have to stop all processes company.

There's another way to do this?

On my test server uninstalled the client and installed the 32 bit, but he deleted during uninstall the driver inside the regedit and not installed again.

Thank you,
Andrew Paes

0 Kudos

Hi Andrew,

Oh, and moved your post to VS .NET forum...

You are mixing dev and runtime versions, not recommended:

#######################

Dev pc

- Windows Enterprise 7 32 bits;

- SAP Crystal reports version for Visual Studio 2010 ( CRforVS_13_0_4 );

- Oracle client 11;

Server configuration is:

- Windows Server 2008 Standard SP2 64 bits;

- SAP Crystal reports runtime engine for .Net Framework 4 (64-bit) ( CRforVS_redist_install_64bit_13_0_1 );

- IIS 7.0;

- .Net Framewor 4.0 Integrated;

- Oracle Client 11;

#######################

Is your app to be run in 64 bit or 32 bit mode? If it's 32 bit mode then you need to install the SP 4 32 bit runtime package on the app server and not the 64 bit version. Actually you should use SP 3, SP 4 has a viewer issue in the page header info.

Requires the 32 bit Oracle Client to be installed also.

And if your WEB app is 32 bit only then the IIS AppPool must also be run in 32 bit mode. And all dependencies must also be 32 bit, Printer Drivers, DB Clients etc.

Also the DSN must be created in the \windows\syswow64\odbcadm32.exe ( 32 bit ODBC Administrator ) You may be using the 64 bit ODBC admin tool.

If you are wanting to run IIS in 64 bit mode then as well as your .NET application then the 64 bit runtime needs to be installed, DSN created in the 64 bit ODBC Admin tool and the 64 bit Oracle Client must be installed.

Another issue could be the PATH statement requires the \Oracle\bin folder so CR Engine can find the Client location.

Use Process Monitor from Microsoft downloads to trace through your app, it should tell you which version and where it's being loaded from.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

I did as you said for a complete 64-bit environment.

My OBDC connection is working well.

But testing my connection through the report it does not work.

On the server everything is 64 bit. The oracle client, application mode and the OS. But still not working.

Look at the image below.

Thank you,

Andrew Paes

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Crystal WILL NOT connect using the 64-bit Oracle drivers, regardless of which runtime you're using.  You MUST have the 32-bit drivers installed in order for Crystal to connect to the database!

-Dell

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dell,

I installed the 32 bit oracle client on windows 64 bit, but the oracle 32 not install the drivers. The drivers are not installed in the registry and does not install the ODBC driver.

I can not have the oracle 32 client running without driver on a 64 bit OS.

How do I do then?

Thank you,
Andrew Paes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I found the solution to my problem.

Already there was an oracle client installed, it was 64 bit and could not be changed.

So I installed the 32 bit oracle client on the same oracle_home existing, is was the home1. Must be installed so the administrator mode with all the tools and drivers, Instant Client will not work.

I set up the ODBC to the home1.

I changed my application to 32-bit mode.

It worked perfectly.

Thank you all.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andrew,

look at the image below.

It says "tns: could not resolve service name".

Whenever i try to connect to the database using crystal report i get this problem.

otherwise i am able to access the DB.

I want to know if crystal report 10 is compatible with windows 2008 server..

Regards,

Pragath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pragath,

Yes, Crystal 2010 is compatible with Windows 2008 Server.

You must install the Oracle Driver 64 if youe OS is 64 bits, and then install Oracle Driver 32 in the same home_oracle, this should be the home1. SAP just works with home1.

You must install the Oracle Client Administrator mode.

After that you must configure your ODBC driver to Oracle Home 1. Right now test if your ODBC connection is successful.

Your application should run in 32 bit mode.

Regards,
Andrew Paes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andrews,

I have already installed the Oracle driver 32  for crystal report 10.0.5.820 version and ODBC connection is successful. But Oracle driver 64 is not installed. Like you said, other application can access my database oracle using tnsnames except crystal report 10. Right now Oracle client9i I am using(32 bit).

Regards,

Pragath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pragath,

The Crystal 2010 does not work correctly with Oracle 9, especially in a 64 bit environment. You should preferably upgrade to Oracle 11g or search for patches for ORACL 9. I know that patching is very difficult and with little chance of success. Best uninstall Oracle 9 and Oracle 11g install.

If you installed both versions of Oracles do not forget that you must have both drivers installed on Home 1 and have the same TNSNAMES.ORA in both instances.

Also do not forget that must be installed in administrator mode.

Regards,

Andrew Paes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andrew,

Currently client is using 9i in the production environment. Its really hard to convince them to migrate to 11g just because reports are not working. its again a huge task upgrading it to 11g. the only option I have is to search for some patches. since Oracle9i is obsolete, I am finding difficult  to find the patches too.

Regards,

Pragath.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pragath,

I think you should switch to 11g for other reasons, for reasons of security and bug fixes.

Certainly will be laborious but I believe the best way. It will be less work to find the patches to an older version.

I changed and will not repent. I had to change the DLL reference applications and connections of applications, but the shift to a new version solved all my problems.

Regards,

Andrew Paes

Answers (0)