cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customising 'Create Master Data on the Fly' to enable EDIT of master data BPC10NW

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have complex master data management requirement that is as follows;

Requirements

Requirement 1 - End user ability to create new pseudo master data members in BPC Excel, without admin involvement

Requirement 2 - Validation of property values input by users

Requirement 3 - End user ability to modify pseudo master data, such as modifying property values, in BPC excel

The current BPC 7.5 solution uses Microsoft Visual Basic (VBA) input screen, exporting to flat file, then nightly import scheduled to add MD to the dimension.

Although this is still feisible, I am exploring the option of customising the 'Creation of master data' functionality built into BPC 10.

My questions;

Has anyone done customisation of this nature before in BPC?

How can the data manager package work with the BAdI to enable editing? My understanding is that it only "Creates" as standard, not Edits

Is there a way to force BPC Excel to refresh master data, or do they still have to log off and log back on?

Potential Solution;

Custom report listing master data in BPC Excel dimension

Data Manager Package takes inputs of; Dimension Member ID, Property to modify

BAdI calls ABAP which replaces the parameter(s) specified

Does this sound feisible? It would be a duplication and modification of the ABAP classes for Create MD on the fly.

Thanks for any input you can give,

Nick

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member200327
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nick,

Your approach works well with Web front end.With Excel I'm not sure how to refresh local cache.

Regards,

Gersh

sap_user62
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Nick,

Very nice document.

Were you able to get a solution for creating master data on the fly though excel.

I implemented the document for master data on the fly and I was able to get the new master data without log out. I am on SP 12. I simply go to the edit report and run the report again to see my new new master data.

Thanks

Ed.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ed,

Yeah we now have the ability to both Create and Edit master data on the fly, with selections populated in a BPC Input Schedule (note, not Data Manager Package), then the user clicks a button which passes the parameters to the Data Manager package which is executed in the background.

User then clicks 'Refresh Master Data' button which uses an EPM API to clear the meta-data cache which then displays the new master data.

This is on SP13 Patch 2 of the EPM Add-In.

Thanks,

Nick

sap_user62
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Excellent Nick!!!

I somehow convinced my client some time back that we can not create master data from a normal input schedule, it should be done though a package.

I would like to implement this solution.

Is there any document published for this or we need to club the code, of the note that you mentioned earlier with the master-data-on the fly how to guide code.

Thanks

Ed.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Nick,

I am trying to work on the Create/Edit master data on the Fly.... I'm stuck at a couple of places.

1) Passing the data from the Text boxes to the DM package .

2) Modifying the Prompt to Edit the master Data

I edited the exisiting prompt

PROMPT(TEXT,%PROP_ID%,"New Member ID",)

With

PROMPT(SELECT,%PROP_ID%,,"Select Member ID","ENTITY")

Then the  log says, the member already exist, and if I remove the tasks:

TASK(ZUJDXRL_VARIANT,REPLACEPARAM1_KEY,ID)

TASK(ZUJDXRL_VARIANT,REPLACEPARAM1_VALUE,%PROP_ID%)

It crashed because doesn't found the ID.

Can you kindly Help me.., any documentation in this front would be of great help..

Thanks,

~Sravan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sravan, sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Have you got this working?

I did not use a member selector for the ID, but a text field. This could be crashing your DM Package.

Nick

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Nick,

I did use a member selector  , and it did work.

I had make a change in the create method .

~Sravan Kumar

0 Kudos

Hi Nick,

Great to hear that end user is able to do master data on the fly!  This is the same requirement for one of our projects, but we have an secuirty issue where the end user must have admin access to this.  In NW7.5, we were able to block the admin console access through .NET setting, but in NW10 .NET is removed.  So I'm wondering in your setting, does the user require Admin access to do either?  Much appreciate!

Ben

"Yeah we now have the ability to both Create and Edit master data on the fly, with selections populated in a BPC Input Schedule (note, not Data Manager Package), then the user clicks a button ..."

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ben,

We needed to do a work around for the security issue.

The method IS_TASK_ACCESSIBLE in Class CL_UJE_USER_DAO required an Enhancement Implementation to modify functionality.

I'd recommend debugging the code to make sure you understand at which point the ABAP security check fails and then bypass that.

Cheers,

Nick

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Can we create multiple records with MDOF? I was able to create one record at a time, but wanted to check if we can create multiple records before I click on save.

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

"Can we create multiple records" - in general - yes, but you have to change a little badi code and decide how you will pass multiple members data!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vadim, thanks for the quick reply.

I think we have to change Logic Script as well, I was trying to check if anyone tried creating multiple members and how complex it is to change the Badi. I am entry level ABAPer,, so not sure if I will be able to handle the complexity of changing the Badi, also is it worth investing time ? I mean we always have an option of adding multiple entries via Admin.. please advise.

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Badi change is moderate complexity, but not an entry level... But what is the idea behind this request?

Former Member
0 Kudos

The requirement is to add new Employees for forecasting. Currently we implemented adding one member at a time. But we are exploring options to add multiple since users are not very happy adding one at a time.

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

But how the process of adding multiple employees will work? DM package prompts allow fixed number of fields...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, DM package will allow fixed number of fields. In our case, we created an input form for the users to enter all the fields.

I was trying to check if we can capture all the records entered by the user before(and save it in a buffer) we pass the data to the database

Current input form takes one records. Example below..

Employee     Cost Center     Location

New 1               CTR 123     Chicago

We are trying to achieve this:

Employee     Cost Center     Location

New 1             CTR 123       Chicago

New 2             CTR 456        New York

New 3             CTR 789       Dallas

How can we achieve this with MDOF? Or can we achieve this with MDOF..

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can't pass variable number or records to dm package... in theory you can launch MDOF DM package multiple times using vba and

Vadim

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

P.S. Other option - you can pass a comma separated list in a single text field, but it will be limited...

P.P.S. It's better to open a new discussion, you question is not related to original topic!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We have BPC 7.5 patch level 15 and there is a project requirement for master data on the fly with both creations and updates by end users. Do you think it can be done on the 7.5 version without a lot of effort? As we might be upgrading to 10.1 soon, if it is a lot of effort then we will wait for the next version to implement the solution.

Has anyone implemented this successfully in the 7.5 version, your help is much appreciated?

thanks

Alice

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Alice,

The badi code to create/update master data is not very complex. But in BPC 10 you can pass DM input from Excel sheet using VBA - not possible in BPC 7.5.

Vadim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Vadim

the note I found regarding implemeting the master data on the fly solution only works on 7.5 before SP8. as we are on sp15 this note is out of date. Do you have any updated solution to this? Or if you can share some sample Badi codes will be great.

thanks

Alice

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I recommend you to wait for upgrade to 10.1: "But in BPC 10 you can pass DM input from Excel sheet using VBA - not possible in BPC 7.5."

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Nick,

How have you managed to give value or modify the properties?

What is the code?

Could you attach the BPC Input Schedule?

Regards

Gustavo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,Nick

Just following up on this great solution. Very useful solution to offer a full "create" & "edit" solution to clients.

Have you been able to document the modifications you made to enable the EDIT of the master data?

Thank you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nick,

Would you be able to provide the code for modifying property using input schedule. I recall reading somewhere that you were planning to write a how to guide for this but could not find that. Were you able to do that.

I need to use it for updating Project's property to mark it as approved so that it can be sent to another model/system.

Thanks,

-SM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nick,

Any progress on this? I was trying to visualize how a master data edit can be accomplished (keep the technical aspect aside for the moment) and I am unable to come up with any possibilities without an additional pop-up box or some other window (within the BPC frontend) which shows the existing masters for a dimension.

Since it is the existing masters we are talking about, shouldn't there be a screen where we select the dimension member which we would like to edit. Would it be possible to do that?

Regards,

Rajesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh, Thanks for your interest.

I should have something working within a week or so. The way I invisage it working is;

Excel Report with dropdown menus and text boxes for user to populate new master data descrption, pick properties etc.

Click 'Create' button and some Visual Basic script passes the parameters to a data manager package for creation. User clicks 'Run' and the MD is created.

Note; Read http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-32636 for how to pass parameter to DM package via VBA.

The Edit functionality will be a report again, which has =EPMSELECTMEMBER function to select the ID of the member they wish to edit, which will then display current assigned properties.

Then an 'Edit' table below this will enable users to change these assigned properties. Clicking a 'Save' button will save parameters and run Data Manager package, calling a BAdI which is customised to Edit rather than Create. This code will need to be copied and customised from the standard ZUJDX_CL_MDOF_BADI code.

@Gersh - I agree in that the master data refresh could be a problem. I know it has beeen scheduled to be completed in Q4 2011 but seemingly the 'Clear Metadata Cache' still doesn't work - which I think is ridiculous. I've raised an OSS note to try and put pressure on the EPM team to deliver the feature request.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nick,

I tried to implement the Create/Update master data on fly with the help of this thread. I could pass the parameters from the user front end (excel) via button to the prompts of data manager package which triggers the BADI to create master data. Creation of new master data works perfect. But i had problems in updating existing master data.

I modified the code within the Create method of class ZUJDX_CL_MDOF to accommodate updates to existing master data.

The changes i did are

1. comment the code which checks if the id exists so that the error message is not triggered

2. update the row flag to 'U' instead of 'I'

" set the rowflag and object version to be appropriate for new masterdata

assign component c_rowflag of structure <ls_new_md> to <ls_property>.

<ls_property> = 'U'.

My belief is that Row flag 'I' means 'Insert' so i guessed if i replace that with 'U', it will be treated as 'Update' and system will update the record if it already exists, if not it creates a new one.

It saves the record. it processes the dimension also, in web client of BPC, i can see the updated record. But it throws "Bad request" exception upon Refresh Master data in Excel interface. And i saw in the BW tables that this new id doesnt exists.

If we go to web client, do some changes to the master data and re-process the dimension, then the refresh works.

Could you help me with the customization to the BADI method to update existing master data?

Thanks..

Best Regards,

Bindu

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Bindu,

I was trying to implement the same.I've got the Data from Excel to the BW system through a function Module. But there is an issue I'm facing ,I'm unable to send the correct answer Prompt.

I tried to fetch the Data from excel through a table using a Remote enabled function Module and tried to trigger off the Datamanager Using the Submit syntax.But I wasnt successful.

Kindly Suggest.

Regards,

Sravan Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nick,

There is a How-To guide available to achieve what you seek.

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-4276

This follows the Data Manager route to create members on the fly. However, I am not sure if it can be used to modify existing members.

Regards,

Rajesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh,

Thanks for the link - I have already implemented creation of master days on the fly as pet the guide. It works fine, however I'm discussion the possibility of customising the script and using a data manger package / solution to enable the editing of master data.

I'm assuming I would need to copy the code that performs the master data creation (ZUJDX_CL_MDOF_BADI) and go from there to configure 'Edit' code to receive the ID of the member to be updated, and the parameters to be changed.

I might post this in the ABAP forum too actually.

Nick

wasem_hassan
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Nick,

Can i have get this program code ZUJDX_CL_MDOF_BADI . Actually it is z program so i couldnot find them.

Please provide me this code so i will built my badi accoding to my master data fly on .

Pls reply ASAP.

Regards,

Wasem